• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Genetically predisposed to addiction?

dimitri9

Bluelighter
Hey....

I know that Alcoholism is to a large extent genetic... meaning, that some people get hooked on even drinking a few drinks.. while others can drink tons every week without becoming an alcoholic.... so your genes pretty much decide of you are an alcoholic or not...

What I have heard and am not so certain about was that most addictions follow this genetic trend.

Now ignoring obviously addicting substances like Nicotine, Coke, heroin and speed..... is this true? and if so.... does the pre disposition to alcohol addiction also predispose to other addictions, or is every pre disposition only substance specific?

There would be some genes that would directly predispose you to alcohol addiction, and then there would be genes that would predispose you do all addictions, and some to stimulant addictions, and some to opioid addictions/

I have read about this genetic research and stuff, but I feel that these days there is simply too much focus on genes/pre-destination, and I feel that science is wasting a lot of energy there.

I like to think that we have CHOICE, and that anyone who really likes alcohol can become addicted if they don't watch it and choose to use very very regularly.

Similarly, I like to think that anyone can avoid becoming addicted if they have a) self discipline, b) self knowledge... without these two, of course... once you're in the spiral I guess it's tough... but I don't know, because I'm not.

Maybe what I just wrote is crap, but I feel that I might be onto something there. I feel that people like to blame 'genes' so as not to take responsibility.8o

ahhh.... it's the old "heredity versus environment" argument. For a definitive answer on the subject, I recommend viewing The Three Stooges classic "Hoi Polloi" circa 1935.

Look up Reward Defeceit Syndrome.

IMO we are all predisposed to addiction though at differing intensity, so for some a minumum exposure to a drug is enough where others will take ages to develop a habit.

"Reward Deficeit Syndrome"??? We have to have fancy sounding labels now for every conceivable malady or condition. In the good ole days, we'd simply say "that guy loves to get high!" He didnt have any kind of syndrome!

BilZ0r said:
There would be some genes that would directly predispose you to alcohol addiction, and then there would be genes that would predispose you do all addictions, and some to stimulant addictions, and some to opioid addictions/

Addiction is addiction. It just comes down to your preference. I mean, the person doing heroin b/c it's an escape from their stressful life is the same as the person who's getting drunk after work because they had a stressful day...

Ahh it's hard to explain what I mean...:|

^oh right so a person using valium just does it for their anxiety or methadone cuz they have pain.

There are millions of reasons and factors, no two scientists can agree upon addiction yet. But one things for sure it isnt simple when millions of neurons are involved and complex learning behaviours and biological predisposition. Still if you want it to be simple....

When it comes to any addiction my view on it is very simple

Its all in your head

everything has to do w/ your genes. they built you. i just think different people are more easily addicted than others. i agree tho that some people are more easily addicted to say stimulants than others, some more to depressants...etc.

all drug abuse could be considered an "escape" so to say. however i believe that certain personalities would be more attracted to something, say coke, that makes them more social and gives them a good feeling about themselves b/c possible they can't achieve that specific thing w/o it.
others may rather lay in bed and just feel good about feeling good.

Can somebody point me towards a legible explanation of Reward Deficeit Syndrome. I've googled and come up with squat.

The "addiction" gene idea is pretty much accepted by me, but I doubt it's a surefire hereditary thing, a few people in my family are addicted to speed, but I pretty much dislike most stimulants, more opiate or sedating things.

But a general "addiction" gene...I don't know.

Well, according to my psych textbook here, reward deficiency syndrome is when the bits of your brain that make you happy aren't as sensitive to happy things in your environment and so you turn to drugs to make you happy.

The book recons that people with this syndrome turn to drugs because they can't get pleasure out of the "normal everyday things that make most people happy".

It is, in my humble opinion, a crock of shit, but I feel that anything that stops people blaming individual addicts for their problems is good.

satricion said:

The book recons that people with this syndrome turn to drugs because they can't get pleasure out of the "normal everyday things that make most people happy".

It is, in my humble opinion, a crock of shit, but I feel that anything that stops people blaming individual addicts for their problems is good.

I think you need to meet a few more addicts. Not all are escapists who scrounge money to get their next fix. i know successful ppl who run there own businesses, bankers, doctors, nurses etc.. They dont all fit the stereotype. After a while opiates do little to help you escape - once tolerance sets in, so WTF keeps ppl from quitting then?

ev0l said:
all drug abuse could be considered an "escape" so to say. however i believe that certain personalities would be more attracted to something, say coke, that makes them more social and gives them a good feeling about themselves b/c possible they can't achieve that specific thing w/o it.
others may rather lay in bed and just feel good about feeling good.

Some people do use drugs to escape, maybe the majority.

BUT remember drugs like opium were used in the past to successfully treat disorders like depression, even bipolar. Heroin had a strong antidepressent effect on certain nuerotransmitters.

So they do have a pharmalogical action too - therefore its ignorant to say they are soley for escapism. Also look at amphetamine; this is used to treat ADD in clinical settings, some ppl i have met IMO have ADD some take illicit speed to help treat themselves as their doc wont give them it - or ppl who take valium and drink to control their anxiety ---- are all these ppl simply escaping?

I dont think so. Therefore, there are other factors that need to be explored. Now i dont think The Reward Deficit Hypothesis fits all addicts, it does explain what could underpin some peoples' desire to take a drug daily in order to feel OK. Most ppl who are into drugs just for fun usually stop after a short while, as once tolerance sets in they arent much fun. So what drives the others?

Addiction is highly complex and scientific understanding is only in its infancy, in time, perhaps more will be known about it. Sure, for many it is just simple escapism. But I dont think everyone fits into the same pigeon holes. Neither do many people who study this field.

If you want things to be black and white and simple then fine put your heads in the sand and say its just one thing - escapism. But show me some evidence where this fits ALL drug addicts.

Last edited:
^ i understand what your saying, and i wasn't stating that all drug abuse WAS an escape. i was merely pointing out that anyone "could" consider drug abuse an escape, be it a correct assumtion or not.
i think boredom and lack of a dynamic lifestyle, atleast in my case tho i'm not an addict i hope, led me to drugs.
so yes, there are probably a myried of different reasons people turn to drugs and then eventually addiction.

on the other hand, opiates are to "escape" depression, amphetamines are "escape" ADD...etc
people, mostly non drug users, just bend words to categorize addicts, so i see why you wouldn't want one word to bunch a whole varying class of adicts together.

addiction is deffinately a complex occurance.

yes, addiction can be hereditary. If you see older family members having addiction problems, you may want to lay off drugs IMHO!

If you want to stop using you can. If you don't want to stop your not going to. Ultimately it is only your decision.......not saying quitting is easy but if you want to quit you can. Don't blame anyone else <family included> for you not having self control.

GENETICS

i was in rehab and the doctor told me that genetics have nothing to do with my addiction..i argued with him becuase i always heard it was heriditery.he said no ..his name was DR.Korn and he has written a book.
no body in my family is addicted to anything. So i am guessing he might be right.

diagnosing substance dependance

maladative patterns of substance abuse three or more of the following
1Tolerance,as defined by either
a.the need for markedly increased amonts of the substance to achieve intoxiacation or desired effect
b.markedly diminish effect with continued use of the same substance
2withdrawl as manifested by either
a. the charetristic withdrawl syndrome for the substance
b.the same or closely related substance is takento aviod or relieve withdrawl symptoms
3.the substance is taken in larger amonts or over a longer period of time intended
4. there is a persistant desire or unsusful effort to cut down or control substance use
5.a great deal of time is spent in activities neccesery to obtain the substance,use the substance or recover from the effects
6. important social,occupational,or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use
7.the substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persisant or recurrent physical or physicological problem caused by or exacerbated by the substance.
"reprinted with permision from the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders american psychiatric association"