Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shrooms (p.subs) and Side effects.

zaki

Bluelighter
Just wondering if anyone has had any negative side effects from taking shrooms?

Also interested in knowing what negative side effects could come from weekly use of shrooms.

yes there are possible negative side effects from taking psilocybin/psilocin containing mushrooms...

while the chemical is hardly toxic (in amounts anywhere near and beyond a typical dosage - ie. there is nothing to worry about as far as physical toxicity is concerneD), there is a risk of negative long-term psychological effects.

taken from the vaults of erowid -

"Many people experience nausea and/or vomiting during mushroom experiences, epecially with higher doses. Other possible negative effects include anxiety and unwanted or frightening thoughts and visions. Mushrooms, though perhaps to a lesser degree than LSD, can precipitate strong, temporary changes in an individual's experience of life and reality. It can be a powerful psychoactive experience, especially at higher doses, which is significantly affected by experiences, set and setting. Recent experiences, especially strong ones, can have a substantial effect on a trip. Physically or psychologically unsettling events in the days before a Mushroom trip can blossom into more serious distress and trauma while tripping. It is important to be prepared for the possibility of encountering difficult or frightening mental states. The Psychedelic Crisis FAQ addresses some of the issues involved in dealing with a difficult trip."

"Addiction Potential
Mushrooms are neither physically addicting nor likely to cause psychological dependance. Many people actually find that their desire to use mushrooms goes down for a period of time after use. As with all substances, some people will use them more frequently than they are comfortable with. There is a short period of tolerance after Mushroom use. Using Mushrooms two days in a row is likely to lead to a diminished experience the second day, though spaced 5-7 or more days apart, this effect is nearly non-existent."

"Taking psyilocybin containing mushrooms while on an MAOI can dramatically increase the effects of the experience. MAOIs are most commonly found in the prescription anti-depressants Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Marplan (isocarboxazid), Eldepryl (l-deprenyl), and Aurorex or Manerix (moclobemide). Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs (harmine and harmaline). Check with your doctor if you are not sure whether your prescription medication is an MAOI."

"Individuals currently in the midst of emotional or psychological upheaval in their everyday lives should be careful about choosing to use psychedelics such as mushrooms as they can trigger even more difficulty."

"Individuals with a family history of schizophrenia or early onset mental illness should be extremely careful because mushrooms have been known to trigger latent psychological and mental problems."

so - yes there are risks (as with any drug use).

i personally don't think it's healthy to do mushrooms weekly... hell i wouldn't do them with any regularity (as much as i love them). however there is a real risk of overusing this drug as it can be so readily available.

eat them with care and respect - for even if there is no real physical risk, and you think the psychological risks are worth it (or aren't going to be a problem for you), the reality is - 1) you never know and 2) bad trips can be VERY VERY frightening, probably well beyond what you've ever experienced before.. a living nightmare. not to say thats a bad thing, but it well can be.

cheers,
jimbu

You'll find it near damn impossible to eat shrooms weekly. Well for an extended period of time anyway.
1) Your tollerance SKYROCKETS so quickly that if you do it the next day, chances are you won't feel anything. Even if you eat A LOT
2) You just don't WANT to do them that often. Each experiance is usually intense enough (for me anyway) to hold off between each trip.

They aren't really a drug you can 'abuse' persay. But with everything, they are defianatley open to it.

Worst side-effects i've noticed is MASSIVE constipation and gas at the same time, which is kind of uncomfortable =P
Also, the next day... SCATTERED AS FUCK!!!! While being enlightened... it sure does take it out of you. Leave a whole day for recovery.

Could anyone give me a list of the long term effects associated with mushroom use , From this thread sounds to me that they're one of the safest drugs out there.

bill joe said:
Could anyone give me a list of the long term effects associated with mushroom use , From this thread sounds to me that they're one of the safest drugs out there.

bill - reread my post from above, and check out the link 2 erowid! PHYSICALLY mushrooms are very safe, but psychologically, it's a very subjective issue. mushrooms have the potential to be very very dangerous, in my honest opinion (that doesnt stop me and others from using them), so no, they are definitely NOT one of the safest drugs out there... physically toxicity is only a portion of the risk.

Probably a nasty headfuck if taken in wrong setting/mood. It happened to me couple of months ago, I was pretty frightened I got to admit, it wasn't that pleasant at all. There's a trip report based on that nasty shroom expereince somewhere in Trip Reports.

I had a uncomfy experience on mushies but i think it also had allot to do with taking it at a music festival. That was a bit silly on my part. :\

I also have the gas/uncomfy tummy issue when I'm on them, but it tends to pass.

I always feel so relaxed and nice and comfy in the days after - they're soo nice after - leave pills for dead - i feel alert and able to think and have a nice warm glow!

The only side effect i have noticed noticed is that every time i take them I'd notice things in my peripheral vision and incorrectly assume them to be something else.. (ie if i see a jumper on the floor and think it was a cat until i look at it directly) This happened a couple of times a day initially and then went in a couple of weeks.

I don't know if it was the shrooms or if i was just noticing this happening more than usual as i was trying to figure out if there were side effects from the shrooms and so became very conscious of this when it happened. It happens a bit normally anyhow since your brain tends to make up what's in your peripheral vision based on what it knows is meant to be there as there is only enough brain power to interpret a very narrow field of vision. It makes sense that the brain will interpret these things differently after having been affected by hallucinogens.

I got the same thing on LSD the other day where every time i went into my room i saw a boot lying on the floor and i interpreted it to be the neighbors cat as it had almost snuck into the house earlier. this happened 8 times - how clever of me!! ;)

Also, the next day... SCATTERED AS FUCK!!!! While being enlightened... it sure does take it out of you. Leave a whole day for recovery.

Thats definately not the case with me, and many of my friends. When eaten fresh, the come-down is gentle and after that, it's either fall asleep and wake up fresh the next day, or go about doing whatever I was doing before.

I've only eaten them dried once, and then I did notice somewhat harsher after-effects the day after.

Anyone else experience this difference between fresh and dried?

i find the comedown for fresh/dry mushrooms fine. In fact, for 24-48 hours after mushroom ingestion, i feel better than normal. I am able to function completely normal soon as they start to wear off and i take big doses. Mushroom comedowns are the best drug comedown i've ever experienced.

^^ I'll testify to that - i tend to feel so damned happy, relaxed and beautiful about the world! :)

ozbreaker - i misinterpret what i see whilst sober quite often (perhaps more often following some psychadelic experiences), so you're not alone there...

dry or fresh - same thing... should have no impact on anything, except possibly nausea depending ont he person

When i was saying scattered, i was referring more to the lack of sleep side of it.
Otherwise i agree about glowing and feeling 'fulfilled'

i've never had any side effects from shrooms, like the others say u actually feel really good after shrooms.

however a friend of mine once said he saw everything in 2d everytime he smoked weed after a huge mushroom dose. this only lasted for 3 months though

i actually rekon that would be pretty cool, but thats just me

yeah, thats what i was thinking.

how fun would that be :D

unless u find a nice girl, u may end up with alot of paper cuts :p

hahah 2d is funny - i had a friend pill for the first time at a bush doof and i was on acid and she said 'Uh OH!! the trees have gone flat agaijn' and by the mere power of suggestion i saw it too!!! :D

Psychadelic_Paisly said:
When i was saying scattered, i was referring more to the lack of sleep side of it.
Otherwise i agree about glowing and feeling 'fulfilled'

Well, that would be i assume if you took them at night and stayed up all night. I know that i feel tired and scattered the next day after staying up till 6am or whatever not on any drugs.

Taking mushrooms during the day, or not to late at night and getting to bed at a reasonable hour should leave you feeling fine the next day.

Same can be said for most drugs really, with some exceptions. Even people who experience bad E comedowns would feel ok'ish the next day if they took them at say 6pm and went to bed by midnight. People tend to forget being out dancing like crazy all night, getting no sleep, being involved in club-politics-head-games, etc would leave most people feeling funny the next day no substance required.

^^^ completely agree.

Find on any substance i'm much less scattered if i get decent sleep or at least *some*