Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

ADHD and Strattera

lorenzo_benzo

Bluelighter
Yesterday my doctor diagnosed me as having ADHD, and prescribed Strattera. I told him that i like Adderal and had previously done it and it helped my concentration, and energy alot. However the problem is that he wouldn't prescribe anything else because he says that stimulant ADD/ADHD medicine can only be prescribed to children. Is there any truth in the advice he gave me?

I'm pretty sure atomoxetine (Strattera) is the only ADHD medication approved for adults. I'll stand to correction on that however, as it came to me by word of mouth.

Do you think your doctor would lie to you? And why is it a problem that he wont prescribe you stimulants? Remember - he's doing his best to help you with ADHD, not getting high. I say give the atomoxetine a go, and don't be so suspicious of your doctor.

:)

^ Firstly, Apollo are you a doctor from the state that i live in? 8)

I don't believe my doctor would lie to me, if anything he has been cool in prescriptions and helping out.

The problem is that I need a lot of stimulation in order to focus, e.g smoking ice, speed, adderal, or ritalin and even take caffine pills though they don't help. After reading posts and information on various websites there seems to be mixed reactions about Strattera and that it has similar properties to antidepressants, when the stimulant adhd medication is proven to work not only for children but also adults.

Another reason is that my friend who is 22, without no prior history of add, went to a doctor and got prescribed ritalin. How the hell is this possible?

The only thing a doctor would be thinking if your really pushing for stimulant medication when there is other alternatives is the possibility for abuse. Dexamphetamine is a drug that is often misused and abused and if you seem overly eager to get it I'm sure the doctor would notice this and try and keep it from you.

My doctor knew about my amphetamine use, but i have never abused drugs and have used them moderately, primary used amphetamines for studying, not for partying. But the thing is that yesterday he diagnosed me as having adhd, after having being misdiagnosed by another doctor with depression/anxiety for over 1 year, and he said that strettera was the only medication avaliable even though its not on the PBS, i asked if there were any other alternatives and he said not for adults but im sure there would be some exceptions e.g. my friend. I never pushed for any stimulant adhd medication, only mentioned that it works - why use something else if it works?

lorenzo_benzo said:
^ Firstly, Apollo are you a doctor from the state that i live in? 8)

What is that supposed to mean? Obviously I'm not a doctor and unless I'm completely inept, I didn't say anything which even insinuated that I am...

Read what Fry-d- posted. Notice "possibility for abuse".

If you've got a problem with what your doctor has prescribed, perhaps you should make a complaint to the ACA, or whoever the relevant organisation is. I'd gamble $50 they'd laugh at you though :)

apollo said:
What is that supposed to mean? Obviously I'm not a doctor and unless I'm completely inept, I didn't say anything which even insinuated that I am..

Sorry dude, sometimes i get paranoid and you sounded too much like a doctor cause you did say "he's doing his best to help you with ADHD, not getting high". Cause most people here prefer the euphoria effects and then treating the adhd.

But wouldn't it be funny if your doctor was browsing on this site and he saw your posts?

My apologies also if I sounded overly or unnecessarily defensive.

It would be funny yes, but I really hope it wouldn't change anything... :)

I know a guy who's prescribed Dex for an ADD type condition and he's in his early thirties with a acknowledged history of meth abuse. I last saw him about 6 weeks ago, so unless something has changed in Qld over the past month I'd say that in this state at least in some instances stimulants are prescribed to adults.

lorenzo_benzo said:
But wouldn't it be funny if your doctor was browsing on this site and he saw your posts?

Unless your real name is "Lorenzo_Benzo" I wouldn't be too concerned :)

^
And if it was 8)?

Because most people on the forum say that they just scored xxx medication for xxx problem. Would a doctor be able to do anything if he sees a post that is simular to a patient he/she had treated?

BTW i did tell my doctor that i couldn't afford various amphetamines, even though they were so beneficial but still he declined to prescribe anything other than strattera. But since i have been diagnosed as having adhd, i'm sure i can take my file to my friends doctor who is quiet generous at prescribing stimulant medication %).

my point is that it would be kinda hard for a doctor to recognise a patient on BL just by the medication they've been given......but if you were using your real name then they would most definately identify you.

If ADHD is of such a concern to you why would you not try Strattera?
To me it also seems that you are a little too keen to get the stimulant medication.
And how long has Adderal been available in Australia for? As far as I know there are only two main stimulants available in Australia, and they are Methylphenidate and Dexamphetamine.
Adderal is a mixture of Amphetamine Sulphate, and Dextroamphetamine Sulphate.

Btw if you are suseptible to bouts of paranoia it is advisable that you steer clear of any stimulants as they will only make it worse.

BTW i did tell my doctor that i couldn't afford various amphetamines, even though they were so beneficial but still he declined to prescribe anything other than strattera.

That my speedy friend is why you won't get any stimulants off him.

phase_dancer said:
I know a guy who's prescribed Dex for an ADD type condition and he's in his early thirties with a acknowledged history of meth abuse. I last saw him about 6 weeks ago, so unless something has changed in Qld over the past month I'd say that in this state at least in some instances stimulants are prescribed to adults.

Stimulants are prescribed to adults all of the time. I am 27 and am still able to get them prescribed if I wanted. I know someone in their late 40's that gets them prescribed as well.

rm1x said:
If ADHD is of such a concern to you why would you not try Strattera?
To me it also seems that you are a little too keen to get the stimulant medication.

The only reason why i want stimulants is because i know it works. I have been on various anti-depressants, including effexor xr which also controls the uptake to noreadrenalin, it didn't help and Strattera seems to be pretty much the same.

I will try Strattera, even though it costs a shitload more as its not on the PBS, and mixed reactions about it on this BL, and am doubtful that it will help.

It's expensive but you may find it is benificial in the long run. I got diagnosed with adhd about ten years ago and have been on the speed pills myself, the long term effects are pretty wack and I found that I started to use more and more of them. I know what ya mean about them working, but the doctor is just doing his job.

Also try Omgea 3. Fish oils are very good for concentration, it takes about 2 months before there is a difference but I was suprised on how much it helped.

Btw you did'nt answer me howyou were getting Adderal from, is it available in Australia? Or did you get it sent from overseas?

I forgot to mention that the dexies lose their "speediness" after a few weeks, that is how they are meant to work, and I have seen many people fall victim to needing more and more to get "sped" again.
Myself included.

I got Adderal from a friend that goes to my uni, shes Canadian and gets 90 every 3 months, from Canada through a "pay doctor" in Toronto. She gives me a nice amount, but i gotta make it last, another friend gets Ritalin in Aus and gives me a couple now and then.

I know you are going to hate me saying this, but if you have ADD/ADHD then change your diet.
The modern western diet is FULL of stimulant drugs, and people with certain brain chemistry (lots of NMDA receptors, or lots of Dopamine receptors) get massively stimulated from these foods. Wheat, dairy, MSG, and fried food are the the worst.

Read this site if you want to stop ADHD without drugs.

www.13.waisays.com

Lorenzo, I actually found the effects of "ice" (4-MAR) to be very similar to Methylphenidate.

To Dr. Beat: You can never stop add/adhd, but as you said, you can change your diet and lifestyle and it really does help alot.