Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Research Chemicals – Channel 7 News 26/4/04

PsychoKitten

Bluelight Crew
Did anybody else catch this?

"people who are trying to stop the hallucinations have been known to throw themselves in front of cars or off of buildings" is just one of the stupid sensationalist quotes made during the spot which highlighted the ease of finding sites on the internet to buy research chemicals such as 2CI from.

Yeah I saw that just few moments ago.... I laughed :)

they were showing fuckloads of pills and showed a well known RC company that shows first when you google search it!

They also showed that website based in melbourne (I think), I wont even bother say which site because I don't want to give them more free publicity because I think it's a shit site. :)

Did anyone catch the name of the journalist? It is about time that some accountability existed when stories are poorly researched giving a false and incorrect account.

^^ The man knows what he's on about.

Even better, write to the ABC and see if you can get Media Watch to pull them up on it. The odds are pretty low that they'd take it, but if they did the entire 7 news team would learn a sturdy lesson.

:)

Seriously, contact channel 7 and ask them to provide a reference, and tell them that hearsay is not sufficient. You want either a refereed journal article or a person with qualifications on neuroscience, psychiatry etc.

Failing this, tell them you'll be informing the following organisation of their sloppy journalism practices:
The Australian, The SMH, The Daily Telegraph, Channel 9, Channel 10, ABC, SBS, and Channel 7 management. Though the last one might not support recreational drug use, they wouldn't appreciate their news division fobbing off a well-informed demand for sources.
If you're really desperate, tell them you'll be forwarding it to the schools of journalism (or whatever they're called) at all the universities in NSW as an example of shoddy news-journalism.

Nothing like a little emotional blackmail to prompt an expedited, thorough reply. I cannot overemphasise how far tactics like this have got me in dealing with relevant organisations. If your information is well-based and believable you just keep climbing the chain until someone takes notice.

^^ unfortunately if shows wanted to write in drug experiences where there were no immediate detrimental effects they would not be approved.

endlesseulogy, I don't think that tone of writing is very effective. Work with the media, don't be judgemental.

If you don't want to be taken as an uneducated drug addict (which they will no doubt assume you are seeing you take drugs), then it helps if your spelling, grammar, and punctuation is also correct. If you eloquently word your argument then your point of view will hold more weight and have more credibility.

Contacting 7news

You can contact 7news in your state with feedback, news tips and story ideas by email form, fax, mail or telephone.

If you wish to make a complaint about 7news or any other Seven program it must be done in writing – complaints cannot be accepted by email or telephone.

=\

Cowboy Mac said:
If you don't want to be taken as an uneducated drug addict (which they will no doubt assume you are seeing you take drugs), then it helps if your spelling, grammar, and punctuation is also correct. If you eloquently word your argument then your point of view will hold more weight and have more credibility.

I agree... that letter was a fast reaction, and could have been formulated much better.

I intend to send the following letter.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In reference to a news article that you aired on Channel 7 News (26/04/04) in reference to so-called "Research Chemicals", I wish to query the sources you have used for your information.

Specifically, I refer to a quote similar to "people who are trying to stop the hallucinations have been known to throw themselves in front of cars or off of buildings". I am reasonably familiar with psychedelic research literature and I am aware of no particular incidents in which people have done this. Moreover, I am not aware of a single death in Australia where a "research chemical" has been found to be a causative influence, or even implicated.

People using research chemicals display fairly high reality-testing (being aware that what they're seeing is not real). Anxiety reactions, though possible, do not generally trigger anything like this behaviour; in fact anxiety reactions often incapacitate the user -- they are not in a state to go out and harm themselves.

Realising that their visuals must eventually stop, most research chemical users simply sit out any potentially distressing visuals and wait for them to clear naturally.

Given the reasonably limited use of these chemicals, I am surprised that your journalism team is aware of such an instance. I thus ask for a credible source, either in the form of a refereed journal article documenting the instance(s) or a credible researcher in the field, preferably named and with an affiliation to a university.

I refer to the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice, s4.3.1, which states:
[licensees] must present factual material accurately and represent viewpoints fairly,having regard to the circumstances at the time of preparing and broadcasting the program;
s 4.4.2 states:
[licensees] must clearly distinguish the reporting of factual material from commentary and analysis.

The content of your story implies factual existence and therefore is enforceable under the code of practice.

Moreover, s4.3.9 states:
[licensees] should broadcast reports of suicide or attempted suicide only where there is an identifiable public interest reason to do so, and should exclude any detailed description of the method used. The report must be straightforward, and must not include graphic details or images, or glamourise suicide in any way;

The acts described by your program are clearly related to alleged attempted suicide. In my view, the public interest in discussing alleged suicide attempts on drugs is questionable, due to the psychiatric concerns involved. Illegal drug users have enough problems as it; they do not need reminding about any concurrent psychiatric illnesses they may suffer, nor a potential "escape avenue".

It does an incredible disservice to your organisation to air unverified and (in all likelihood) entirely untrue comments.

--
anyone got an address to send to?

edits - adding bits + fixing typos

Last edited:
An excellent, clear, well constructed, and well referenced argument! I think this kind of proactive attitude should be more widely employed by bluelighters when dealing with shoddy journalism - we just need to find legislation or codes of practice to reference. ;)

I'll try and express post it tomorrow at uni. joys of having a post office on campus :D

this is the feedback i recieved from channel 7 regarding my letter:

Dear Emmett... You obviously have a genuine interest in these drugs... But I
can assure you there are many who have experience and knowledge in this area
who disagree vehemently with you about the damage they can cause.

It is true that some drugs have been used help overcome other afflictions...
But the damage caused by their abuse is also well documented.

As far as people taking their own lives Emmett... You may not, no you
obviously do not know that news organisations have an unwritten law about
reporting suicides and attempted suicides... In the interest of the public
good... That's why you may not have seen any news stories on that...

We do many more stories on the dangers of alcohol, cigarettes and other
legal drugs than we have ever done on these illegal drugs.

Bluelight 'media watch'...bring it on.

The Australian Press Council will investigate complaints from the public or lobby groups against the print media. They are an independent organisation with a very thorough modus operandi. Don't bombard them with whinge-mail but check out their site if you feel seriously aggrieved, villified or something.

http://www.presscouncil.org.au/

The Australian Broadcasting Authority will investigate complaints about electronic and broadcast media. They are part of the Department Communication, Information Technology and Arts. *waves to friends in Canberra*

http://www.aba.gov.au/

And the journalists' union, the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance have a committee that also looks at complaints against individual journalists.

http://www.alliance.org.au/

The media is always going to portray drugs as tools of addicts and junkies, they're always going to make up bullshit about how people think they can fly on acid and jump from windows, get used to it.

So some shit kicker journalist has written something that has no truth to it, with heaps of incorrect information in it, it kinda sounds familiar to me, sounds like almost every news flash ive ever heard. A whole lot of fiction you could probly relabel as propaganda.But thats what the media do..its their job, and they get payed well by men in suits who dont take drugs (or dont admit to it) so its never going to stop.

People will always hate drugs....get over it. I hate em (even though i take them) because i see complete wankers on them all the time, i have to share the same city space as about 100,000 kids on drugs, and not just some drugs, its all of them in a game of lets see who can get most retarded.

Hopefully the more the media bag things like this the more people stay away from them. The less poeple on them the longer it will take for it to be banned, if ever. You do realise that once every dickhead has 2c-i its becomes illegal dont you?

Last edited:
You may not, no you obviously do not know that news organisations have an unwritten law about reporting suicides and attempted suicides...
Umm... No, it's actually a written law, as quoted above from the Commercial Television Code Of Practice.

BigTrancer :)