Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NSW - July 24 & 25 - Splendour in the grass - REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

0ff1cer_ch0ps

Bluelighter
NSW - July 24 & 25 - Splendour in the grass

Well... its that time of year again where we get the 1 winter festival ...

Saturday July 24
In her ONLY Australian show, we warmly welcome PJ Harvey the first lady of rock`n roll who, along with her band have signed on for this one off performance. Known for her superlative performances Polly returns with her 7th and hotly anticipated album Uh Hu Her, the follow-up to the hugely successful Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. No selfrespecting fan would be game to miss this. In their first ever visit to Australia, Splendour is proud to announce Scottish lads Franz Ferdinand. Currently one of the most talked about bands on the planet, their self titled debut album should justify the excitement generated by their electric first single, "Take Me Out". Splendour is also proud to present the legendary MC5, one of the most influential rock 'n' roll bands EVER to command the stage. Featuring original members Wayne Kramer, Dennis Thompson and Michael Davis they will perform as DKT/MC5 and will be joined by a revolving cast of two awe inspiring vocalists – Evan Dando of Lemonheads fame and Mudhoney’s Mark Arm. This historic comeback with a twist is simply not to be missed. The mighty Spiderbait make their Splendour return off the back of their tasty rendition of "Black Betty". Their new album "Tonight Alright" sees the `Bait head right back to their rollicking rock roots. Relative newcomer Xavier Rudd is a multi-instrumentalist delivering a unique and harmonious combination of lyrics, vocals and energy that are warm, powerful and emotive. With a new album, 1200 Techniques, Australia's premier hip-hop crew deliver on all of the promise of their acclaimed debut 'Choose One'. The band's direction is best summed up by DJ Peril: "It’s better beats, better basslines, better subject matter, and better rhymes.’ - `nuff said. Byron Bay based indie rock trio, Acre, is based around the songwriting talents of vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Christian Pyle and in their music you will hear traces of Wilco, The Church and Tom Waits, delivered with the do-it-yourself approach of Neil Young. We also present Ozomatli a Grammy winning culture-swapping band. An urban-Latino-andbeyond collision of hip hop, salsa, dancehall, cumbia, samba, funk, meringue and comparsa. With a show that is equal parts Brazilian carnivale, New Orleans street stomp and all-out house party, Ozomatli may be one of the world's best live bands. And last, but definitely not least is Detroit’s Electric Six a band that has set a fire in the pants of the rock ‘n’ roll world with their original songs. There’s no gimmick and there’s no bullshit. These guys are genuine and they love their pure rawk ‘n’ roll!

Sunday July 25
On day two we bring you the musical delights of Jurassic 5. Hailing from Los Angeles, these eclectic children of the LA hip-hop underground personify the musical philosophy of new-meets- old. Consisting of four MCs and two DJs they possess a kinetic musical energy and a flair for progressive existence with beats and styles. We also welcome back the return of Lismore's favourite sons and consistent festival favourites Grinspoon. They’ll play all their crowd favourites and give us a taste of their forthcoming album which is due for release later this year. Hook laden songs and slam dunking riffs - after ten years Ash are still youthful twentysomething rock fans and their new album Meltdown showcases slabs of pure rock power backed up by white hot live performances. Fresh back from touring the states and UK, Melbourne band Ground Components bring their unspeakably energetic live show and soulful brand of rock ‘n' roll to Splendour for the first time. We also present one of Australia’s most recognisable dance / crossover acts in sonicanimation who make their Splendour debut. Mr Money Mark first rose to prominence as a keyboard player in the Beastie Boys powerful stage shows in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Since then, Money Mark has parlayed the notoriety into a budding solo career that suggests he is a visionary in his own right as much as he is a way-cool sideman. His work is a sprawling, playful collection of trip-hop, electronica, tabla grooves, lo-fi soul, cheesemoid lounge jazz, and, maybe most surprisingly, indie-pop. Touted as one of Australia’s finest new singer/ songwriters, Pete Murray's songs flow with soulful vocals, brutally honest lyrics, clever arrangements and captivating warmth. Meanwhile fizzing drum beat and distorted guitars best sum up Glaswegians Snow Patrol. They will bring their heart crushing mix of infectious pop punk racket to Splendour on the back of their third album Final Straw. And just in time to put their many fans out of their misery, Splendour sees the return of Eskimo Joe who emerge from a mini hiatus with A Song Is A City. It's a bold new era for the band that is a delight to see live.

And this is just the start of what there is to come who knows...

i know im just gonna go just to see, Ozomalti, J5, Sonic animation...

Anyone else going to make a road trip from there respected areas ???

i'll be making the 30 minute roadtrip and undoubetdly staying there all weekend too. should be schweet!

do i hear road trip
hmm heading north twice in just over a month

Yep, I'm hauling my arse up there with some mates for the 6 hour drive.

Only staying for the first day though. Really looking forward to seeing PJ Harvey, Mark Arm and 1200 Techniques perform.

Camping sold out in less than a week, my mates who are organising are trying to find some decent place to stay now... shall be fun ...

we have a tarago and everything to get up there aswell.. cant wait for the rd trip, going to be the first driver .. do my shift ... then start the party :D

As the event gets closer we will make some kinda of dodgy roll call to have a meet of the bluelighters

i highly advise you to organise accomodation asap as i think you'll find that most of it will be booked out already. if anyone wants advice on places PM me and i'll help you if i can:)

any room in the car matt? I'm kinda only half-hearted about going, but i'm always up for a road trip and a big weekend.

i wish bitch(keystroke), i havent partied with u for ages ...

not my fault ur soft!!!

We have 8 people going up, so unless u can find a way to haul your ass up there... no can do!!!

Well tickets are officially sold out...

so if anyone did get a ticket... see ya up there... i just wish they would hurry up and make another announcement !!!

my wish has been comanded...

THE DISSOCIATIVES, FIERY FURNACES, PJ HARVEY, DIZZEE RASCAL feat. MARGAMAN, DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL, JURASSIC 5, SPIDERBAIT, DKT/MC5, PETE MURRAY, FRANZ FERDINAND, ASH, XAVIER RUDD, GRINSPOON, ELECTRIC SIX, 1200 TECHNIQUES, MONEY MARK, ESKIMO JOE, SNOW PATROL, SONICANIMATION, OZOMATLI, GROUND COMPONENTS, ACRE, THE TREMORS, GROOVE DALLEY, SNEAKY SOUND SYSTEM, INFUSION, JAMES DE LA CRUZ, BEXTA, THE HERD, SLINKY, ROCKET SCIENCE, HILLTOP HOODS, KATALYST, CUT COPY, VANLUSTBADER, DJ PERIL and BEXTA

Sorry about the CAPS, i just c/p it.

Not the greatest line up in the world, but its a weekend away from the world...

start raising hands if your going up

*raises hand*

Hi
I am a lonely and attractive girl from Sydney willing to do (almost) anything for a ticket.
And someone to hang out with

Please PM me !

Or actually I dont really need anyone to hang out with/

Just sell me a ticket
PUHHLEASSEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!

hey i'm gonna be spending another 22 hours in a car ( each way ) for the 3rd year in a row.. can't wait .. also got my tickets for Krafty Kuts in byron on the friday before.

I'm happy for a mini meet up there if any one wants to organise a time and place...

cheers

will c :D

sweet, just organised my ticket and i'll be in attendance on sunday. the line up on the saturday actually looks a bit better but the ticket was free and i get to see cut copy and james de la cruz. w00t!!

im going, first time goer, long time wantingtogoer

my friend bought her ticket on ebay for 200 and managed 2 find a camping ticket from a friend of a friend for cost price... so there u go.

ROAD TRIP!!! (and we're definately stopping by nimbin ;) hehe)

woooo hoooo

go skinlab!!!

its only a month away now, gotta start getting supplies and get ready for one big weekend...

Yes, im planning on stealing the road trip vehichle to take me and a few freinds to nimbim the day b4 it starts... the fun i shall have :D

so the small, but good rollcall i have at the moment is

0ff1cer_ch0ps
SkiNLaB
astrosmurf (sunday)
grunef
missfunksta
Riot Grrrl (saturday)
IWoody
*starfalls69*

anyone else... join in, when the times and everything start getting organised, we can basically confirm something

*dances to infusion*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.