Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

news 26/04/2004 : Internet drugs replacing ecstasy

wazza

Bluelighter
AUSTRALIAN recreational drug users are importing a powerful new generation of ecstasy-type substances through mail-order websites.

Commonly known among users as "research chemicals", the drugs are produced by commercial laboratories in the US and are readily available on the internet.

In Britain, ecstasy sales have plummeted as users look for new highs. The new drugs - known by their chemical abbreviations 2C-I, 2C-E, 2C-T-2 and 5-Meo-DMT - are capable of producing hallucinogenic and euphoric experiences similar to ecstasy and LSD.

The drugs are being scheduled as prohibited and at this stage are illegal under analog laws as they are structurally similar to ecstasy.

Commander David Laidlow of the NSW police said there had been no seizures of these drugs in NSW. "We haven't heard about them in that form and they are new to us."

But Australian drug experts have confirmed they are being used here, and club and rave sites in Australia such as www.smilepolice.com have posted online forums about their usage.

There have been several fatalities attributed to their use in the US in recent years, but none so far in Australia.

The drugs' suppliers pose online as legitimate businesses selling to research labs. One hundred milligrams of 2C-I, enough for four strong doses, costs about $55.

Australian cities are also experiencing an end to the heroin drought, with police in Victoria and NSW reporting an increase in dealing and ambulance callouts for overdoses.

from here

Well it certainly looks like Research Chems are the next 'big thing' to hit the (Australian) drug scene. More and more people I know are either talking about RCs or using RCs of late (seems like I hear new people in regards to this each weekend) and the open talking + buying of RCs off the net is going to be bring a big crackdown I guess. I thought it strange for a news article to mention smilepolice directly without mentioning other sites *cough* this one etc, that have had info on RCs for many years (let alone mentioning TIKHAL + PIKHAL being the orginal sources) which should have been fairly easy to acquire without much resarch needed to be done.

Comments?

and the open talking + buying of RCs off the net is going to be bring a big crackdown I guess.

Same prelude to a scene from the high seas of yesteryear?

FIRST MATE to CAPTAIN: "Aye aye Captain" But where do we sail to now?"

CAPTAINS REPLY (looking at a map of the known world): " From here on matey, they be all unchartered waters"

[Edit: Post removed. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
So what?!?This might influence a few idiots to search them out?But in the general publics mind this article means nothing,an will be forgoptten about by the time they get to the next page.
This article also states that these chemicals are already illegal under the analogue act,so i can't see any outcry for tougher laws by ignorant anti-drug crusaders.
Personally,i don't think this will change a thing.

P.s WTF has the Heroin drought got to do with "RC"s?!?

It is inevitable that these drugs will obtain a greater level of exposure, however I completely disagree with mixmag which suggested 2C-I will be the next big thing. Most MDMA users do not use psychedelic drugs, and for this reason i feel 2C-I will not be adopted as a failsafe when MDMA users lose the magic. It does not naturally lend itself to the club environment, and will probably be a few years yet until any scheduling occurs.

Yer until it becomes a problem, I think the government really do have bigger fish to fry.

I think perhaps the reason that it hasn't become a problem is because RC's are generally used, bought and sold by people with some basic level drug knowledge. As soon as drugs like this become available to the mainstream, idiots will start abusing them and laws will be enforced.

Yeah... Take it easy peeps and stay safe. But I suspect sooner rather than later RC's will be quick on the chopping block.

Nowadays I enjoy my plants a bit more then most other things. ;)

In case my earlier statement went completely phsst - over your head;

What we currently see termed research chemicals is but a small fraction of substances classed under this term which are psychoactive. These are substances with relatively broad modes of action, but most are either from the phenethylamine or tryptamine classes of compound. What I believe we will see more of are the specific acting chemicals which will no doubt be combined with other specific agents for the ultimate trip. These chemicals often known commonly only by a number, are often large molecular weight substances and structually very different to tryptamines, PEA's and AMPS. Even the current analogues laws wouldn't cover these babys.

That's my view, supported by recently received enquiries into such matters. This is truly new ground. We have, and probably will never have sufficient info on the pharmacology of these combinations. There are and will be so many - and that's before the broader class of substances - of which phenethylamines are a small part - the isoquinolines come into play.

Many should ask; better the devil you know?

Last edited:
phase_dancer said:
. What I believe we will see more of are the specific acting chemicals which will no doubt be combined with other specific agents for the ultimate trip.

Sorry,i'm not sure i understand what you mean by the above??

where do I start... these are substances used to map the brain and to switch specific enzymes and receptors on and off, allowing regions in different parts of the brain to be acted on by other chemicals. Here's a few examples of 5HT2 receptor ligands used in such research:

5-HT2a

Spiperone
MDL 100 907
Ketanserin

5-HT2b

5-MeOT
a-Methyl-5-HT
SB2044741
BW 723C86

5-HT2c

SB24084
RS-102221
RO-60-0175

5-HT2b&c

SB 20646A
mCPP
SB 206553

Non-selective

LY 53857
ICI 170809
Ritanserin
Mianserin
DOI

Taken from: "A review of Central 5HT receptors and their functions" by Nicholas M Barnes and Trevor Sharp

I don't wish to imply any of the above would be worth pursuing for recreational purposes, or that any of them would be safe to use in this way. But I do think some people will move towards this area, particularly if other drugs, or the chemicals to make them become scarce. At present many of these compounds are very expensive, but once one is discovered with recreational value, clandestine chemists being what they are, they're bound to find easier /cheaper ways of making them.

[Edit: spelling, spelling...p_d]

Last edited:
Once again; nice one media.

Now every kid and his dog that want to get 'fucked up' know exactly what to search for!

...i'd love to know where they got their prices though :)

^^ I thought their prices reflected the typical cost. $55 for 4 doses looks about right

*hope the pricing that was included the original post + here isn't against guidelines since they mentioned it in the article*

If it is, feel free to edit/delete.

Nothing wrong with quoting an article.

Well it didn't take long for an Aus journo to pop up and ask me to help with another article. They are after information on availability and legality within Aus and would also like to interview a user of Rcs. If anyone can help out with legality info side they can either post it here, or email me. If anyone wants to offer themselves as an interview please email me: [email protected]

Off the smilepolice site:
You wouldn't happen to be a reporter by any chance would you?

The above links give a run down on the chemical properties and different effects of the substances in question.

For "users" opinions or experiences your best bet is to go to: www.bluelight.ru as this is the web's biggest drug and health forum.

Hope that helps._

Guess we are next guys.......

Also a journo had been trolling there from the apearance of some of the posts in thier forum. I advice everyone here to FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES dont slip and give journalist something to write about or we could easyly be writen up as one the these internet drug connections.

I advise everyone not to talk to any journalists about research chemicals as it is not an issue that needs to be discussed in the media. No public education is required regarding these substances until they reach mainstream audiences, and only then will it be worth discussing it with the media. There is absolutely no benefit that can come from this being discussed by the media, except for detrimental outcomes which will hasten widespread scheduling!

Have to agree, if you take a close look at past media reports regarding any chems they have at best been average and at worst quite damaging. Research chems seem to have a very niche and well educated market. I think statements saying that its getting main stream are a little premature.

I disagree. Well rather I agree that not everyone should talk to just any journo but there is a need for some balance to be given in the reporting, and without our input there isn't any.

When it is on Channel 7 News then it is already mainstream, the issue that is, not the drugs although it is then impossible to seperate the two. This story was overdue to break, and had to be dealt with sooner or later.