• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NSW: Dogs to search for drugs on most trains

trog

Bluelighter
Dogs to search for drugs on most trains

Dogs to search for drugs on most trains
By Jim O'Rourke
April 25, 2004

Sniffer dogs will be allowed to roam almost every train carriage running on the City Rail metropolitan network, randomly checking all passengers for drugs, when new regulations come into effect on Friday.

The North Shore line, running from Berowra to Central, has been added to other train lines where officers do not need a warrant to search for illicit drugs, Police Minister John Watkins announced yesterday.

Handlers and their dogs will now be able to search passengers on train services running as far south as Bomaderry, north to Newcastle and west to Penrith.

Drug detection dogs will also check passengers at terminals and bus stops on the Sydney-Albury bus route on the Hume Highway and the Sydney-Grafton route on the Pacific Highway. Police will still need a warrant to search passengers on the buses.

When the sniffer dog regulations were introduced on Sydney's trains in February 2002, president of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties Cameron Murphy said the Government was "selling the public a pup" if it claimed the measures would have any serious impact on the drug trade.

"They're targeting people at the bottom end of the drug pyramid, people who are users," Mr Murphy said. "Someone carrying a small amount of cannabis on a suburban train will be picked up, while the dealer driving around the North Shore in his BMW is not going to be affected at all."

So slowly yet more civil liberties get eroded... :(

"They're targeting people at the bottom end of the drug pyramid, people who are users," Mr Murphy said. "Someone carrying a small amount of cannabis on a suburban train will be picked up, while the dealer driving around the North Shore in his BMW is not going to be affected at all."

Exactly!

don't u think this is going a bit far.....dogs on trains sniffing everyone as if we're all criminals. I mean who gives a toss if u find 1/2 a gram of weed on someone.

One day we will be living with a 'guilty until proven innocent' idiom...

It does strike me that this is going to be an awful waste of money as they're mostly going to catch end users, not dealers. I say that because it seems logical that most dealers do their business with cars for transport, such as the BMW driver Mr Murphy mentioned.

:\

that really sucks, and I mean really. all my mates leave along the north shore line so I'm pretty much always travelling up there on fri/sat nights to go out, and so as not to incriminate myself I may or may not carry hundreds of dollars worth of drugs at times

what a bitch. more of our freedoms gone

no it isn't just you, it encourages drug driving a lot, i mean im in vic so i am not that concerned at the moment but can probably see it heading down this way. Imagine if a blind man is sitting there with his dog, these sniffer dogs will probably start barking and going crazy.

^I'm sure they are trained for things like that... What I find scary though is when an event is going on in Sydney I'm sure they will have the dogs on the trains from the city to the venue, that is what really scares me!

for those who have ever been questioned re: drug carrying, it is not you that they are after. it is the person you got them off. you get the threat of conviction unless you tell.. they work up from there.

but mostly, its too much paperwork for them to care. but if the risk is there, people will stop doing it. :)

plus, theres the old solution.. carry a water pistol filled with bong water. spray it on every train you can. it will send the dogs nuts. :)

^^
you're evil muzby ;)

sign me up!

All it'll do is means more poeple drive and put more people in danger. Bravissimo Watkins.

nice to see they care about drivers safety/others on the roads safety. I know personally that almost all of my friends prefer to get the train instead of driving for sheer safety issues.

I'd always rather catch a train than drive if i'm going to be under the influence of something. Be it alcohol or otherwise.

Does it seem to anyone else that the lawmakers and enforcers in this country are generally STUPID?
They certainly do not have the safety and best interests of the population at heart and I am yet to work out their other motives.

yeah, that's gunna fry the big fish.

what i dont understand is how the fuzz new to bring the heat down on the public transport network, i thought we had 'em fooled moving the big shipments by suburban rail.

Last edited:
This is absolutely stupid. Even the US has more civil liberties. What about the bus services? Does this affect Sydney to Byron, as i know during many times of the year lots of people bring drugs up to byron. This sucks

yeah it looks to me that they always had the powers to search most trains but now have extended the range to include greater regions in all directions..

Exactly waht the two posts above have said, it just means they can search any trains now, as the north shore line had been excluded before due to certain pollies whinging about their rights ect ect ect....maybe if their children got caught their name would of been dragged through the mud, looks like stiff shit now.

Though, just because this is all it means, I have noticed an increase of dogs // officers on the rail network, catching a train from the west - city twice a day.... Even dogs at stations like Auburn, Parramatta and Granville, not only Central, Town hall and redfern like I had only previously seen.

and instead of racking lines on toilet seats do it on a train seat