• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis for kids?

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
WASHINGTON — As a California pediatrician and 49-year-old mother of two teenage daughters, Claudia Jensen says pot might prove to be the preferred medical treatment for attention deficit disorder — even in adolescents.

"Why would anyone want to give their child an expensive pill … with unacceptable side effects, when he or she could just go into the backyard, pick a few leaves off a plant and make tea for him or her instead?" Jensen asked the Drug Policy Subcommittee of the House Government Reform Committee earlier this month.

While some wonder whether Jensen was smoking some wacky weed herself, the clinician for low-income patients and professor to first-year medical students at the University of Southern California said her beliefs are very grounded: The drug helps ease the symptomatic mood swings, lack of focus, anxiety and irritability in people suffering from neuropsychiatric disorders like ADD and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

"Cannabinoids are a very viable alternative to treating adolescents with ADD and ADHD," she told Foxnews.com. "I have a lot of adult patients who swear by it."

Under California state law, physicians are allowed to recommend to patients the use of marijuana to treat illnesses, although the federal government has maintained that any use of marijuana — medicinal or otherwise — is illegal. The federal courts have ruled that physicians like Jensen cannot be prosecuted for making such recommendations.

Jensen said she regularly writes prescriptions recommending the use of marijuana for patients —particularly those suffering pain and nausea from chronic illnesses, such as AIDS, cancer, glaucoma and arthritis.

She has also worked with one family of a 15-year-old — whose family had tried every drug available to help their son, who by age 13 had become a problem student diagnosed as suffering from ADHD. Under Jensen’s supervision, he began marijuana treatment, settling on cannabis in food and candy form, and he has since found equilibrium and regularly attends school.

But not everyone is so high on the idea of pot for students with neurological illnesses. Subcommittee Chairman Mark Souder, R-Ind., who invited Jensen to testify after reading about her ideas in the newspaper, was hardly convinced by her testimony.

"I do believe that Dr. Jensen really wants to help her patients, but I think she is deeply misguided when she recommends marijuana to teenagers with attention deficit disorder or hyperactivity," he told Foxnews.com. "There is no serious scientific basis for using marijuana to treat those conditions, and Dr. Jensen didn’t even try to present one."

Dr. Tom O'Connell, a retired chest surgeon who now works with patients at a Bay Area clinic for patients seeking medical marijuana recommendations, is working on it. He said cannabis not only helps pain, but also can treat psychological disorders. He is currently conducting a study of hundreds of his patients, whom he said he believes have been self-medicating with pot and other drugs for years, and he hopes to publish a paper on the subject soon.

"My work with cannabis patients is certainly not definitive at this point, but it strongly suggests that the precepts upon which cannabis prohibition have been based are completely spurious," O'Connell said. Worse yet, he added, the prohibition has successfully kept certain adolescents away from pot who now turn to tobacco and alcohol instead.

Jensen, who said she believes Souder invited her to testify to "humiliate me and incriminate me in some way," suggested that a growing body of evidence is being developed to back medical marijuana chiefly for chronic pain and nausea. She said it is difficult, however, for advocates like herself to get the funding and permission to conduct government-recognized tests on ADD/ADHD patients.

"Unfortunately, no pharmaceutical companies are motivated to spend the money on research, and the United States government has a monopoly on the available marijuana and research permits," she told Congress.

Studies done on behalf of the government, including the 1999 Institute of Medicine’s (search) "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," found that marijuana delivers effective THC and other cannabinoids that serve as pain relief and nausea-control agents. But these same studies warn against the dangers of smoking marijuana and suggest other FDA-approved drugs are preferable.

"We know all too well the dangerous health risks that accompany (smoking)," said Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., ranking member on the subcommittee, who like Souder, was not impressed by Jensen’s arguments.

"It flies in the face of responsible medicine to advocate a drug that had been known to have over 300 carcinogens and has proven to be as damaging to the lungs as cigarette smoking," added Jennifer Devallance, spokeswoman for the White House Office of Drug Control Policy (search).

The government points to Food and Drug Administration-approved Marinol (search), a THC-derived pill that acts as a stand-in for marijuana. But many critics say there are nasty side effects, and it’s too expensive for the average patient.

On the other hand, Jensen and others say cannabinoids can be made into candy form, baked into food or boiled into tea. They say that despite the FDA blessing, giving kids amphetamines like Ritalin for ADD and other behavioral disorders might be more dangerous.

"Ritalin is an amphetamine — we have all of these youngsters running around on speed," said Keith Stroup, spokesman for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

"Although it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, it's nevertheless true that cannabis is far safer and more effective than the prescription agents currently advocated for treatment of ADD-ADHD," O'Carroll said.

Stroup said if Souder’s intention was to harangue Jensen, he was unsuccessful in the face of her solid and articulate testimony on April 1.

"It was a good day for her, and a good day for medical marijuana in Congress," he said.

Nick Coleman, a subcommittee spokesman, said Souder doesn't "try to humiliate people.

"But to promote medical marijuana for teenagers with ADD … he does not feel that is a sound and scientific medical practice," Coleman said.

While the issue of treating adolescents with medical marijuana is fairly new, the idea of using pot to treat chronically and terminally ill patients is not. Nine states currently have laws allowing such practices. A number of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have added that they want the states to decide for themselves whether to pursue medical marijuana laws.

Among those lawmakers are Reps. Ron Paul, R-Texas, a physician; Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif.; and Barney Frank, D-Mass.

"(Rep. Paul) believes there are some legitimate applications," like for pain and nausea, said spokesman Jeff Deist. "But the real issue is that states should decide for themselves."

source

As a California pediatrician and 49-year-old mother of two teenage daughters, Claudia Jensen says pot might prove to be the preferred medical treatment for attention deficit disorder — even in adolescents

Bull fucking SHIT! As an ADD "sufferer" myself, I can say without hesitation that pot offers absolutely NOTHING of value to combat my short attention span and poor short term memory. This bitch is tripping.

On the other hand, Jensen and others say cannabinoids can be made into candy form, baked into food or boiled into tea. They say that despite the FDA blessing, giving kids amphetamines like Ritalin for ADD and other behavioral disorders might be more dangerous.

Simply because another drug out there may be more dangerous does not necessarily mean that its substitute (an ill-researched one at that) is any more effective. Stimulant-based medications are used for ADD patients because they WORK.

I think cannabis can be proved useful for some psychological ailments in some people. I know one guy who has ADD who smokes. He claims it helps him. He still talks a mile a minute though.

I think the prerequisite for having weed help you with your ailments is that you actually LIKE weed -- that you're chemically predisposed to utilizing cannabinoids. Though relatively harmless, it's not a drug for everyone. This from a die-hard pot0head.

shhh, dont tell the feds that it doesnt work. With their rational it will be something like this (which probably has litle medicinal use) to get them to start thinking. We should all be rallying, hell i'll fake add, "start" smoking pot, and then claim how its helped me so much :)

I know someone very close to me uses pot and claims he doesnt need his ritalin if he smokes ....

he is ADHD

TheGreenPhantom and to a smaller extent DeMenTia02 are the only posters in this thread who have atleast grasped one harm minimisation theory; "Just because something has effects X,Y,Z on yourself doesn't mean that others will have the same effects".

AcidFiend, do you really expect that pot has the same effect on every single add sufferer in the world? Do you honestly believe that because it doesn't work for you, that it won't work for anyone and that "this bitch is tripping"?

Stimulant-based medications are used for ADD patients because they WORK.
I know plenty of examples of people diagnosed with ADD who have had no success with stimulants.

personally, i believe many, many people are misdiagnosed.

regardless, i think comments like these make a pretty sad day for bluelight. I thought one of our main aims was to create a system where people could try and experiment with drugs in recreation or mental health concerns in as safe a way as possible, without harrassment from police. I personally believe that anyone who wants to smoke pot in their house should be allowed. If an ADD sufferer wants to try it, I have no problem with this infact I believe it is their right to be able to smoke what ever the fuck they want in their house.

:p :X 8( :\ 8) 8o

Psychonaut777 said:
haha weed definately doesn't help ADD..

How can you be so sure that it couldn't help anyone? I don't see why this doctor/mother/professor would just make this up out of thin air.

edit: Beat me to it CrazyAustralian, well said. :)

i believe that a good percentage, 50 60 90? of all add adhd diagnosed people are bullshit... and i doubt any of these people on this board are so ADD or ADHD as to have no medication be strong enough or work... these people are more than likely rare cases of extreme add/adhd who need something stronger...

Props to Dr. Jensen

Well, it's a small start. Marijuana NEEDS to be further recognized as something that has a wide range of benefits along with it's smaller range of side effects. If it works for some people for some of their needs then it's important that those people speak up and let others know, so that it's more widely accepted. I think this is what this woman is trying to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course it goes without saying that it doesn't work for everyone. Neither does ritalin and neither does prozac, so why shouldn't we have more options open to us and why should we all feel as though our health problems need be homogenized? We shouldn't. Period. We have the absolute right to whatever might help us and nothing, not even gov. can take that away. That's what we need to show them and little by little we will gain back what we've lost.

Peace

maybe kids who are diagnosed with add just have such a shitty homelife that they couldn't pay attention during school. But give 'em some drugs and they'll do whatever you tell 'em. It always seemed like only the poor kids were on ritalin in gradeschool...

AcidFiend, do you really expect that pot has the same effect on every single add sufferer in the world? Do you honestly believe that because it doesn't work for you, that it won't work for anyone and that "this bitch is tripping"?

Sorry if I believe that drugs need to prove themselves clinically before they are endorsed as treatments for diseases/physiological problems. I never said that it should remain illegal as such, as I also believe in everybody's right to choose what substances they ingest. However, we are supposed to be past the days of snake oil cure-alls and claptrap based on nonexistant medical evidence. Since there is absolutely NO research into this matter, I can only offer my personal experience as an ADD sufferer and regular pot smoker. My opinion is just as valid as any other ADD sufferer who may potentially be used in a clinical setting, so take it or leave it as such.

regardless, i think comments like these make a pretty sad day for bluelight. I thought one of our main aims was to create a system where people could try and experiment with drugs in recreation or mental health concerns in as safe a way as possible, without harrassment from police.

This rant isn't even remotely related to anything I said. I experiment with drugs all the time and I'm simply giving my opinion based on said experiments. Furthermore, this article completely fails to point out any refrence to this doctor's "proof" that pot can help ADD patients (which is a different disorder than ADHD, I would like to add). If someone wants the FDA to do clincial studies on a drug's effects (even legal ones), they better damn well have a reasonable argument to suggest that it is worth their time and money.

Last edited:
Stimulants, used over a long term, have fairly severe consequences. These can include an addiction/withdrawal syndrome, flattened affect, heart palpitations, sweating too much, pissing too much, raised blood pressure, and a generally edgy/nasty personality.

Of course not everyone will develop these side effects, but I think we ought to be a little more cautious about handing out these pills to every person who claims they can't concentrate.

I think it also relates to over-pathologizing states that used to be regarded as within the normal continuum of being. Now our definition of normality is much narrower, as we have discovered more medicines that help us sculpt a person into an efficient little achiever.

I do know some people who really do need some sort of intervention for ADD/ADHD symptoms, but I think they are few and far between compared with the vast numbers of people who obtain those medicines as a study aid or "pep pill."

I wouldn't be too surprised if long term use of marijuana (and or other substances) is actually capable of leading to ADD / ADHD.

Lets all not forget that there are new non-stimulant ADD/ADHD medications already available on the market

Acidfiend said:
Sorry if I believe that drugs need to prove themselves clinically before they are endorsed as treatments for diseases/physiological problems. ..... However, we are supposed to be past the days of snake oil cure-alls and claptrap based on nonexistant medical evidence. Since there is absolutely NO research into this matter, I can only offer my personal experience as an ADD sufferer and regular pot smoker. My opinion is just as valid as any other ADD sufferer who may potentially be used in a clinical setting, so take it or leave it as such.

Yes, YOUR OPINION! What makes you any more qualified to say pot doesn't work than that woman has to say it does work? She went to medical school, did you? Maybe it does work for some people, and I highly doubt that you and your body are the end-all be-all example of what drugs work and what drugs don't. Unless you're really that arrogant and self-absorbed, I can't see why you would think that. And you said that drugs need to prove themselves clinically - is it just me, or did she not say that marijuana HAD effectively treated some of her patients? No, that's not any sort of rigorous clinical scientific study, but if it works for some people, it works for some people. And marijuana is not being touted as a "snake oil cure-all" at all. If you read the article (Which it kinda seems like you haven't), you will see that it is endorsed as a treatment for nausea, chronic pain, and glaucoma. I don't think that's anything near a "cure-all." And the article is only suggesting a POSSIBLE fourth use for marijuana. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that as some sort of ridiculous, frivolous claim of a "tripping bitch." She's a doctor, she went through medical school, I think she has a right to make claims about the medicinal value of chemicals, especially when she even says herself that it could use some research. And besides, how do you expect that full-scale research will be done when the government won't allow it, even though weed has been PROVEN to have medicinal benefits for LOTS of people? 8)

I've personally met people with ADD that MJ works on exactly as she claims, it calms them down and makes them more focused. Rememeber everyone is different, that's why not all medicine is t suited for everyone. I don't think she claims this is one-for-all solution she merely poses this as one possible treatment.

;)

Last edited:
SilverFeniks said:
"...I think she is deeply misguided when she recommends marijuana to teenagers with attention deficit disorder or hyperactivity,"

She continued, "the medical community has determined only high power amphetamines like Adderall or Dexedrine and amphetamine-like stimulants like Ritalin are acceptable for teenagers with ADD" 8(

too bad the govt doesnt allow much cannabinoid research.. perhaps the cannabinoid that helps with add could be isolated or a new one could be fomulated that doesnt get you high but still helps medically. we've got a huge range of opioids; think about the medical possibilities if all the cannabinoids were investigated

Last edited:
This is an awesome article, I am familiar with this topic first hand: I have medical marijuana for ADD. I had to get it to get out of a ticket in Mendocino county and being a -------- county resident it has helped me alot! This article really hits home for me. And by the way, it really does help with school.

maybe kids who are diagnosed with add just have such a shitty homelife that they couldn't pay attention during school. But give 'em some drugs and they'll do whatever you tell 'em. It always seemed like only the poor kids were on ritalin in gradeschool...
Stuffedtiger: I hate to be the one to inform you that this is an overgeneralization you have made which is causing you to stereotype an entire mental illness.

I have heard the theory that adolscents with ADD/ADHD are extremely likely to Self-Medicate with marijuana. Although the marijuana may not help with the short term memory aspect of ADD, it can definately help with the hyperactivity, the emotional lability, the feelings of social isolation, and with the low level of interest in several activities which often leads to a short attention span.

Personally I have ADD (no H), and have a sister with ADHD. I have witnessed stimulants fail to work on both of us (well they helped, but only for a couple weeks until the side effects outweighed the benefits). I have witnessed her self medicate with marijuana since she was 14. I have witnessed myself self-medicate with marijuana at periods in my life, and although it was not the best long term solution for me, I can definately see how it could be (especially once a day oral dosing or something). ADHD is an extremely complex disorder, affecting all areas of life, from sleep habits, to personality, to social life, to work and school.

The ultimate solution for me seems to be buprenorphine. It helps me with ADD, depression and with bipolar disorder. So I definately understand the value of having several options available to try.

A former roommate of mine was an ADD child (formerly prescribed ritalin) and definately uses marijuana as a medicine. He is successfully completing college with a Computer Science degree, works 20 hours a week as a computer programmer (from home where he smokes weed all day long). Personally from living with him I saw he'd act calmer and more focused when smoking, but he often did "smoke too much" and wind up lying on the floor while he was supposed to be working. Of course oral dosage forms could prevent all this!