• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mom sues Coors over son's traffic death

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mother of a 19-year-old killed in a traffic accident is suing Coors Brewing Co., claiming that it promotes underage drinking.

Jodie Pisco, of Reno, contends Coors has failed in its duty to protect the country's youth from drinking. Her son, Ryan, was killed in 2002 after he drank Coors at a party and drove his girlfriend's car into a light pole at 90 mph, the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in Washoe County District Court, seeks unspecified damages. It accused Coors of "glorifying a culture of youth, sex and glamour while hiding the dangers of alcohol abuse and addiction."

Laura Sankey, a spokeswoman for Golden, Colorado-based Coors, said that although she could not comment on pending litigation, the company "doesn't want underage consumers -- period."

"Tragedies like this further reinforce why the fight against underage drinking and drunk driving must continue," Sankey told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Also named in the suit were Ryan Pisco's girlfriend and her mother. The lawsuit alleges the girlfriend allowed Pisco, who lacked a valid driver's license, to drive off in her car, which had been given to her by her mother.
source

No doubt most of society will laugh at this 'frivolous' lawsuit, yet support similar lawsuits against a drug dealer that inadvertantly sold to someone who ODed 8)

why not sue the car manufacturer, the girlfriend and the person who installed the light pole too?

Please! Give me a break. Did the coroner's report say her son had specifically "coors" brand in his blood stream ? And was he force-fed the beer by the big nasty Coor's executives ?

8(

The kid deserved exactly what he got. This mother should sue herself for bringing an irresponsible idiot into the world. She might as well sue her lawyer for taking such a frivilous case as well. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

^^this is america, we have no sense of personal responsibility. It's just so much easier to blame someone else

I've posted my thoughts in the CE&P thread, but I just want to say again that she's a fucking stupid bitch.

SilverFeniks said:

No doubt most of society will laugh at this 'frivolous' lawsuit, yet support similar lawsuits against a drug dealer that inadvertantly sold to someone who ODed 8)

EXACTLY!!! and like many other people said: personal responsibility. Where is it? What you do is your own doing, and no one else's. If you injure yourself, too damn bad. Why do you think doctors are so fucking expensive nowadays? Because they have to take out loads of fucking insurance to protect themselves against all the frivolous lawsuits that people come at them with.

Originally posted by Markoss
fucking americans....

she is one (stupid) american. not all americans.

alasdair

Is anyone else just glad this guy didn't kill anyone else? Hey, let natural selection get the best of ya, but with drinking and driving you're not just taking your own life into your hands, but the lives of anyone who may cross your path. In this case, we were lucky, only the fool was the victim, but how often is this not the case? Too often.

^^^ Too true. Fucking drunks, hurting innocents.

The kid obviously was comitting suicide. His girlfriend was mad at him, they argued, the stormed out, stole her car, got drunk, drove fast, and decided to end it all headfirst into a lightpole. Or maybe it's a conspricy, his mother got him drunk and told him to drive fast so he could die. Afterwhich, she tries to sue Coors.

he did not steal her car. she gave him the keys.

alasdair

^^^ so who the hell should be sued? I personally think the company that supplied the metal for the light post

SilverFeniks said:
I never drink and drive cuz I might spill my drink

That would be alcohol abuse. Shame on you...

Seriously though. It seems to be a trend in America where you can blame anyone for anything. Even if they had nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by Dr. FunkenstienI wonder if you could sue a church for god's actions 8(

This has already been tried. Some guy in New Mexico tried suing the pope. It was laughed out of court, and they made a movie about it, too.