[News] Ecstasy sold in city shop

agnte

Bluelighter
Fucking Hilarious. Also note : Anna Wood reference at the end
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9315176%5E26462,00.html
------

Ecstasy sold in city shop
April 18, 2004

A CITY convenience store on one of Sydney's busiest streets is openly selling ecstasy and marijuana to customers.

A covert investigation by The Sunday Telegraph over four nights uncovered the illegal racket on Oxford St, Darlinghurst.

Oxford St is a popular thoroughfare for shoppers and tourists who were passing only metres from where the drugs were being sold and used.

An undercover reporter from The Sunday Telegraph was last week able to purchase two bags of marijuana for $20 each and an ecstasy tablet for $40.

The reporter approached a counter-assistant at the Oxford Mini-Mart, a 24-hour convenience store near Taylor Square.

The reporter asked for Tally-Ho, the code-word for marijuana used at the store. Handing over two $20 bills, we were given two plastic sachets of the drug.

The reporter then asked for "pills" and was handed a single tablet imprinted with the mark of an ecstasy supplier.

The counter-assistant, a man of Middle Eastern appearance in his 20s, stashed the money below the counter – not in the till – and carried on serving customers with groceries.

Similar transactions were witnessed as frequently as once every five minutes.

Some drug customers appeared as young as 16, others were middle-aged. Hundreds of dollars in cash were handed over in some transactions.

The shop seemed to be on first-name terms with its regular drug customers. It had even pre-prepared orders waiting for some.

Little attempt was made to conceal the illicit trade.

At 10pm on Friday, a girl in her early 20s approached the counter and moments later left the store. She appeared to be buying drugs on behalf of other customers.

On the street, the girl received a phone call. She went back into the store for less than a minute before heading to a nearby bar.

On another occasion, a black car pulled up. A passenger went into the store while the driver kept the engine running.

The customer picked up what appeared to be a prepared order and handed over a wad of notes before jumping back into the car.

An estimated 60 deals were done in five hours while the shop was under surveillance by reporters and photographers.

Many customers leaving the store were seen going to local nightclubs.

The convenience store is only four doors from the Sol Bar, where a bouncer was shot in the thigh on Friday night.

At least one nearby nightclub directed patrons to the store.

A staff member from the Ruby Rabbit bar told our reporter "pills" were available over the counter at the Mini-Mart.

"Tell him I sent you," he said.

The Sunday Telegraph was alerted to the over-the-counter racket by chance when its reporter was shopping at the convenience store last Saturday and saw drugs being sold.

It alerted police on Friday of its finding and handed the marijuana and ecstasy to a duty officer at Surry Hills police station.

The police said they were unaware the store was selling drugs, although they had investigated another store in the area.

Police asked for time to make inquiries before The Sunday Telegraph published its expose.

Because of the dangers of drug abuse, the newspaper has decided not to delay publication.

Last year, about 380 people died from drug overdoses across Australia.

The dangers of ecstasy were highlighted when a Sydney schoolgirl, Anna Wood, 15, died after taking a tablet at a rave function in 1995.

That led to the closure of the Phoenician Club and pledges by the State Government to clamp down on drug dealing.

Five years ago, The Sunday Telegraph exposed drug dealing at Cafe Amsterdam in Kings Cross.

That led to several arrests and the eventual closure of the venue.

Following the controversy, the NSW Government introduced tough new laws giving police powers to close down businesses if there were reasonable grounds to believe drugs were being commercially supplied.

The marijuana bought in Oxford St was positively identified at the University of NSW's testing laboratory.

The ecstasy pill was tested using a special kit purchased by The Sunday Telegraph.

UNSW analytical laboratory manager Terence Flynn said the pill appeared to have been made by an experienced manufacturer.

"The smiley face markings on (it) indicate it's from a fairly big supplier," he said.

"It's not a backyard job."

The Sunday Telegraph

Damn, thats funny stuff. Sounds like they got too comfortable with it and once their bubble burst... Well it burst for good.

Is this a sign of things to come? Perhaps sooner rather than later party prescriptions will be part of our culture alongside alcohol. I am willing to accept that my society offers a prescription for speed or mdma once a month or so. As long as systems are in place in our culture to combat the negative side effects of such a system(there are negative side effects to everything!). Including treatment programs and community services for people that cannot stay in control of their own prescriptions... ;) Or maybe I am wrong and the whole concept behind partying is to make yourself as trashed as possible, causing damage and grevious bodily harm to others. So far, I think the latter is not so common.

:)

they seem to harp on the whole anna wood thing a bit...these smileys definately are doing the rounds aswell, seen them allover the place on PR..

A staff member from the Ruby Rabbit bar told our reporter "pills" were available over the counter at the Mini-Mart.

Good one dick head

Police asked for time to make inquiries before The Sunday Telegraph published its expose.

As if, all they wanted was a story, they spent money on the surveillance they want to get the story out asap

The marijuana bought in Oxford St was positively identified at the University of NSW's testing laboratory.

Fuck i can spot choof a mile away that must make me some kind of expert :D

That is the most poorly worded, horribly expressed piece of tabloid journalism I have ever read. Whoever wrote that should be shot.

:X

how popular do you think this guy is going to be with this 'middle-eastern' gentleman?

I'd say someones going to be in a lot of trouble, heh!

i was in sydney this morning reading this article in the paper. i thought it was funny when i read something like, 'the press of the tablet indicates the supplier' or some shit. fucken idiots. they make so much shiit up.

Originally posted by agnte
"The smiley face markings on (it) indicate it's from a fairly big supplier," he said. "It's not a backyard job."

Logos mean nothing! 8( 8o

Jamie Oliver said:
That is the most poorly worded, horribly expressed piece of tabloid journalism I have ever read. Whoever wrote that should be shot.

:X

Word!

I think I'm equally shocked by this Cowbow Mac:
"The smiley face markings on (it) indicate it's from a fairly big supplier," he said. "It's not a backyard job."
What are they on about... :\

There's something counter-intuitive about selling drugs over the counter across the road from the Supreme court of NSW... 8)

agnte said:
Little attempt was made to conceal the illicit trade.

....An estimated 60 deals were done in five hours while the shop was under surveillance by reporters and photographers.

I'm surprised by this actaully as friday/saturday there are always cops in Taylor Square and there the most aggressive i've seen anywhere they just go up to anyone 'who doesn't look like they pay taxes' as my friend put it and start hassling them, and i've also seen them keep a very close eye on what goes on in the convience store in Taylor Square and all the pubs around without any provication. Me and my friends sometimes go and grab some drinks and sit in Courthouse just to watch em out the window, it really is quite a show. Given this i almost can't help but wonder if the police didn't already know about it but turned a blind eye as its only weed and pills and better than street dealers, as would appear to happens at other places.

The daily telegraph is the most pathetic concervative rag that I wouldn't even wipe my arse with. I can't help but think less of people that buy it. Sydney morning herald on the other hand is undoubtedly the shining star of all the papers in Australia.

God the media are a bunch of fucktards =P

Police 'unembarrassed' by drug tip
April 18, 2004 - 4:05PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/18/1082226627288.html

Sydney police on Sunday denied they were embarrassed to be tipped off by journalists that a busy inner-city convenience store was allegedly selling drugs over the counter.

The owner of an Oxford Street convenience store was charged on Sunday with drug possession following a police operation launched only after officers were alerted by a newspaper on Friday to alleged drug-dealing in the city's nightclub district.

The story published in Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper on Sunday alleges a journalist was able to buy $40 worth of marijuana and an ecstasy tablet by asking for `tally-ho' and `pills' over the convenience store counter.

Over four days journalists observed a steady stream of customers buying marijuana and ecstasy in the same manner, the newspaper said.

NSW Premier Bob Carr said he was "very concerned" at allegations ecstasy and marijuana were being sold over the counter.

But he rejected claims by opposition leader John Brogden that police should be embarrassed a newspaper was able to expose an alleged drug dealing operation before charges were laid.

"From time to time the public will see drugs being traded and give that information to police," Mr Carr told reporters.

"The media ... are entitled to carry out their investigations, but as long as the police end up getting information they can act on, I'm happy.

"It's because police have got information like that that we've had record hauls of illegal drugs."

NSW Assistant Commissioner Bob Waites admitted the alleged drug dealing was brazen, but also denied police were embarrassed at acting on media investigations.

"I don't see it as embarrassing at all," he said.

"In fact 99 per cent of information we get from drugs comes from members of the community."

Mr Brogden said it was alarming drugs could be sold over the counter at a convenience store and that children could access them.

"To think that in the heart of the nightclub district of Sydney there's a possibility that drugs are being sold literally over the counter to anyone who walks through the door is simply appalling," he said.

"There's every chance these drugs are being sold to kids as old as 15 and 16.

"The smiley face markings on (it) indicate it's from a fairly big supplier," he said.
I too find this absolutely hilarious. It is hard to believe a licensed analyst would spout utter garbage like this. He would also know that most MDMA is not a backyard job.

My question is if the logo had had a frowning face, would that mean it is a bad pill?

The guy actually gave a short interview on the news. Most people recently arrested put jackets over their heads. Obviously given the brazen nature of the dealing, this guy is just plain brazen all round!

Re: Re: [News] Ecstasy sold in city shop

Cowboy Mac said:
Originally posted by agnte

Logos mean nothing! 8( 8o

That's where i just lost it too!!

love journalists that have no clue!!

thing that is scary - how many news reports are completely misguided that we tend to believe because we just do not know enough? :\

Just to repeat what others have said, this is seriously one of the most poorly written media articles I've ever seen, but what can you expect from a sensationalist piece of shit like the telegraph. The "journalists" who conducted this covert operation and wrote this article should hang their heads in shame. What utter tripe.8(

^^
dude! - they work for the telegraph! THat's what they do best surely!! ;)

and what becomes of the illegal drugs?

The reporter never mentioned how good they were, or that they were handed over to police?

So what happens when a major newspaper buys illegal drugs and publishes the story of how they scored?

^^^ interesting point... surely journo's don't have these 'super special powers' allowing them to undertake illegal activities to 'bust' someone.