Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Talking about drugs with workmates

JayB

Bluelighter
Hi guys, i havent really posted in this forum.

We just got new supervisor in our firm, shes pretty happening and contemporary, Id really like to find out if shes into ecstasy etc, shes the kind of person you know would have an awesome time.

I really dont know how to bring it up tho, im not too keen on people at work finding out I occasionally endulge.

Anyone else been in this kind of situation?

It's hard for any of us to say without knowing her, the environment you work in, the job you do and a little bit about the people who work with you.

I work in a law firm and it's pretty common knowledge, although somewhat rarely spoken of directly, that I am into this scene and many people who work with me, who I would not have suspected it from initially, are also into it as well.

Anything they "know" at the moment are things they "know" based on assumptions stemming from the places I go on my weekends, pictures from weekends, me talking about attending raves, etc.... although it doesn't cause a problem, I have never ever outrightly said to anyone who is in a position of power that I am a social drug user, and I never will.

- Kel

well I work at a bakery, and would never consider telling anyone there that I use drugs, they're all either too young or the kind of people you don't tell things like that...you've got to be careful what you say or do when it's to do with things like that. I could be talking about something I did one night that week but you always keep it low key, I think it's just a smarter policy never to openly admit to drug taking

Last edited:
I have never admitted to it, until I had an absolute massive night at Sounds On Sunday / YU and went straight to work mashed. I'd suggest to keep it quiet, if she goes out at all she'll probably pick up on little things and eventually probably ask you.

-

sourlemone,

I highly recommend that you remove your work location/details from your post.
Check out the Aus. Social Forum Guidelines and make sure you do your best to learn and abide by the guidelines listed there.

--

On topic - You could go about it by being subtle whilst not exactly stating your use, rather let them initiate the discussion. Kel seems to have got it right, I suggest you do something like that.

--

At my previous work I told quite a few people and although it never got me into any trouble whatsoever, it somthing that I reckon in shouldn't have done. I've only been at my new job at a Hospital for 3.5 months and I've decided I won't let it be known. Mainly because I've the hospital workers I see most of the time here get a kick out of spreading gossip.

yeah, sourlemone, while it's good you are kind of anonymous on there if you post the details like you've done anyone that works at the same place or attends your workplace will know that you now use. probably better to get rid of all locations :)

the people i work with including my bosses know that i go to raves etc. theyre not exactly stupid so i think they can put two and two together. but i'm not gonna bring it up myself.

its good to have ppl that are "likeminded" in your workplace but its never good to make it the focus of all discussions. or any at all depending on ur situation. and its NEVER good to let your habits get in the way of your work if other ppl know about it. the only way to prove yourself is be great at ur job and show them that u can manage your lifestyle.

i work at a supermarket, you HAVE to be on drugs or mentally challenged to work at a place like that (im the latter btw)

besides, all the dealers i know work there. kind of convenient back when i was 18, scoring pot and munchies at the same place

This is somewhat of a delicate situation, in any workplace.
I was talking to Dandy about this just last night, actually - - I think. :\

I find that being open and not restrictive about the fact you go out is fine at any workplace, and chatting about weekend / etc. is more than expected.

I've never felt the need to take someone aside, specifically, and say, "Look, I do partake in the *consumption of illegal substances, but rest assured, I'm not a junkie.." etc.

Just hasn't been necessary.

That said, just while chatting about tastes and weekend stuff, many people seem to twig, and get this almost glint of recognition in their eyes. :)
Whether it's re: the drugs assumption, or the parties [we all know not *all* ravers partake, some go straight / alcohol / etc.] that they associate with, it's a silent sort of recognition.

And often that's what it's left at.
No need for clarification.
^That's easilly done by taking them out with other friends for what can be a neutral or drug-addled night, and determining the plans / watching them, etc.

[Nice thread.]

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
This is somewhat of a delicate situation, in any workplace.
I was talking to Dandy about this just last night, actually - - I think. :\

I find that being open and not restrictive about the fact you go out is fine at any workplace, and chatting about weekend / etc. is more than expected.

I've never felt the need to take someone aside, specifically, and say, "Look, I do partake in the *consumption of illegal substances, but rest assured, I'm not a junkie.." etc.

Just hasn't been necessary.

That said, just while chatting about tastes and weekend stuff, many people seem to twig, and get this almost glint of recognition in their eyes. :)
Whether it's re: the drugs assumption, or the parties [we all know not *all* ravers partake, some go straight / alcohol / etc.] that they associate with, it's a silent sort of recognition.

And often that's what it's left at.
No need for clarification.
^That's easilly done by taking them out with other friends for what can be a neutral or drug-addled night, and determining the plans / watching them, etc.

[Nice thread.]

-

Yeah. We did actually discuss this, and it made for quite the interesting discussion, indeed.

Like C0TB said, you shouldn't have to feel the need to take someone aside and indeed reassure them - in a sense this may highlight that you may be "in denial" about your use and you're reassuring yourself at the same time.

It's probably best to bring anything you do or you did lightly, and don't specify that drugs were involved in any way. You can give hints and some wise-cookie will be on the ball and choose to pursue it further with good intentions (in most cases).

Do remember that there are people there that look down on it and may even use it against you (especially if there is competition for something). Word spreads and sometimes you don't realise the extent. Best if you know the people relatively well.

--

as someone once told me, the best way you can treat your boss is make them think they know about you and your life... but don't tell them much. well yeh, tell them barely anything! i think it's a pretty good way to go by because who knows when something could backfire.

i have sort of been in this situation before though, my manager at work was a young, cool sort of guy... and i know he takes drugs and stuff, but not excessively. i went to work a few times pretty fucked and i'm sure he would've known. i always wanted to bring up the fact that i took drugs and stuff so we could share something cool... he was fired though.
ah...
but a good way to bring it up could just to ask what music she's into? or where she goes on the weekend..? or there may be some perfect moment where you can subtly slip in a reference to drugs.... and if she picks up on it then yes.. it would all begin from there.

it would be safer not to bring it up, but it could also lead to some fun times if you did!

You'd be suprised how many people at your work might be into the similar things you are. I've been OVERLY suprised by some people who have mentioned drugs to me in employment at different places.

Your managers most likely a bigger trasher then you :p

shals!
:)

Originally posted by ez_555

but a good way to bring it up could just to ask what music she's into? or where she goes on the weekend..? or there may be some perfect moment where you can subtly slip in a reference to drugs.... and if she picks up on it then yes.. it would all begin from there.

Yeah, that's what they did with me.... at a team lunch it was like "driving through the valley at 5.30am and I saw blah blah blah... oh... Kel, you hang out in the valley, don't you?" I reply in the affirmative and I get a smirk and a "so, your a bit of a water drinking girl then... like the chuppa chuppa and all", etc etc.

They all know, a few are into it as well and I know, there are many sly references to it, but there has never been a direct admission by any of us.

Well, I work at maccas, and the only bigger users there other than the staff are managers.
Btw, Im getting myself a birthday present, Resigning from my job.

I'm with kelle, I wouldn't bring it up....it's not worth the pain in the ass if you're wrong, and it's something that can be used against you in a workplace really easily.

Besides which if you are both into the same scene, you'll no doubt figure it out at some stage with the kind of references you make in conversation etc....just be patient. :)

I find you can tell if you know to look for subtle details. This sounds kinda terrible but I look for people that have a very bland demeanor, in that they're not fazed by much and tend to keep a pretty straight face most of the time, and not act all "up and down" like non drug takers.

You can also ask stuff like what gigs - that should spell it out for you, or what time did you get home? Thats always a difficult one for me, i can either lie, or say 4pm, in which case they're like wtf?

Speaking of people at work though, I'm bloody sick of stuff like people going really loudly in tea room crowded with people, "You don't wanna spend $30?Thats the price of 2 pills man", looking straight at me. Thats nice and subtle.

yeah, i can think of a good example of bringing things up subtly. today on the radio (nova I think) they were holding a competition to go to your city of choice in the world, and the lady on the radio went to mexico...i brought the subject up to the girl I was working with (I'm friends with her and a whole group of her friends, am going out with a girl at her school etc) who I'm fairly comfortable being around, and asked where she'd go...she said 'etc etc etc probably somewhere in germany, etc etc' because she does german - she asked where I would go and I mentioned offhand it'd be amsterdam. I think the implications are fairly obvious there, but I didn't need to clarify myself at all...

she just nodded and sighed with a knowing look. you can get the point across easily without being too blunt

of course, when I'm talking about my weekend/nightime adventures with other workers I never say I was drunk/stoned/tripping whatever, just that i was 'a bit out of it'...being vague is your friend

right... well i been thinking bout it trying to recall what hapend, almost every1 knew where i went out to, many of them knew what i did there, funny thing is my main manager kept asking to buy stuff from me and i just kept saying ur trippin. it was only at 2tribes this year when i saw his gigantic eyes while he was buzzin like a mofo that i realised he was serious =D

other than that if they are into it then they will find out, after you get to know someone you can sorta just tell about certain things. if not just start a convo to see what she did over the weekend and go from there... if she went to a rave then the rest will come out in 2 mins, otherwise, time will tell ;)