• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Courtney Love to stand trial on drug charges (updated 11/19/05)

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Courtney Love to stand trial

Courtney Love to trial in Calif. drug case
April 15, 2004

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Reuters) - A Beverly Hills judge ruled on Thursday that rocker Courtney Love must stand trial on two felony drug possession charges despite claims by her lawyers that she had prescriptions for the painkillers police found in her bedroom last October.

Superior Court Judge Elden Fox found "reasonable and probable" cause to bind the 39-year-old singer over for trial after hearing testimony from a police officer called to Love's Beverly Hills home on Oct. 2 for a "medical emergency."

Beverly Hills police Officer Douglas Trerise testified that he arrived at Love's home at 5:30 a.m. and was called to her bedroom, where she "gave (him) a plastic baggie with pills ... from the foot of the bed."

An analysis showed that the pills were the prescription painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone, Trerise said.

Love, the widow of late grunge rocker Kurt Cobain, was taken to a hospital after police discovered the drugs.

Hours earlier, she had been arrested outside a boyfriend's Los Angeles home on suspicion of being under the influence of drugs and of breaking windows.

Love, who headed the now-defunct rock band Hole, was charged with a misdemeanor in that incident and faces a separate trial on Friday in Los Angeles.

Defense attorney Michael Rosenstein offered no defense to the officer's testimony on Thursday but he said outside court: "We do believe that we'll provide prescriptions" to show that Love was allowed to possess the drugs.

Rosenstein said he was "outraged" by prosecutors' decision to go forward with Thursday's proceedings after Love waived her right to hear the evidence against her at the hearing.

"This is a celebrity and they want their moment in the sunshine," he said.

Love came to court in a black strapless dress with rhinestone trim and carrying a book entitled "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene.

Love is scheduled to perform on Thursday on "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno to promote her debut solo album, "America's Sweetheart," her first release in six years, the network said.

Love's legal and personal troubles have multiplied in recent months -- in addition to the two California criminal cases, she faces assault charges in New York stemming from an altercation in a nightclub last month.

Link

Is this really news? Isn't it pretty safe to assume Courtney love will go to court on drug charges at least once every two or three years?

I see she is still not being charged with the murder of Kurt Cobain... Wonder how long that bitch will get away with it for.

:X

Prosecutor: Love had drugs in system
The Associated Press
Tues, May 4, 2004

The prosecutor in the misdemeanor drug case against Courtney Love said Monday in Los Angeles that she tested positive for cocaine when she was arrested last year.

After a judge continued the trial to May 25, Assistant City Attorney Jerry Baik told reporters outside the courtroom that Love tested positive for several illegal drugs after the October arrest, including cocaine. He declined to identify the other drugs.

Love, the widow of grunge rocker Kurt Cobain and former lead singer of the rock band Hole, recently released a solo album, "America's Sweetheart."

Love didn't appear at the Monday court hearing, one of two cases stemming from Oct. 2 incidents.

She faces misdemeanor charges of being under the influence of a controlled substance and disorderly conduct after being arrested for allegedly trying to break into the Los Angeles home of a former boyfriend.

After her release, emergency workers were called to her home and took her to a hospital for a drug overdose. Police have testified she handed one officer a plastic bag of pills, which were later identified as oxycodone and hydrocodone -- painkillers for which her attorney claims she had prescriptions.

Love was charged with two felony counts of possession of controlled substances. She faces more than three years in prison if convicted.

The felony and misdemeanor cases are being tried separately.

Link

Why are all celebrities a bunch of opiate pill poppers? Wheres the love for the interesting drugs?

Bitch she may be, but even people who strongly dislike her have admitted that her music is not all that bad.

Personally I like her, mainly because I pity her. Check out her new album, it's incredibly sad and haunting.

I hope things work out for her. You gotta remember what this chick's been through in her life. Poppy Z. Brite wrote a good biography on her, check it out.

S-R said:
I see she is still not being charged with the murder of Kurt Cobain... Wonder how long that bitch will get away with it for.

:X

I'm curious why you think she killed kurt...

I think Courtney Love is so fucking hot. I want her to shove pills in my mouth until I'm practically ODed, then I want her to shoot me up with smack because I can't swallow pills. Then I want her to punch me because I can't get it up.

Let the poor (ha!) woman do/get high on whatever the fuck she wants. She's only been doing it all her life. And she's da best!

But she is so fucked up that she can't take care of her own daughter. She needs some sense knocked into her. Kurt Kobain was a tremendous asshole anyway. His death is the only thing that made him into such a legend.

fruitfly said:
^ I got shoved by Courtney Love at a concert once (way back in the day). Jealous? ;)

Extremely.

But to add some substance to this post, I'd suggest all the Courtney haters go out and listen to her new C.D. it's incredibly sad. It's pretty obvious she's deply pained by many things, not the least of which was Kurts death (and for the record I <3 Nirvanna too.)

It might make you look at her differently. I've quoted some of the lyrics in a thread in Music and DJ's if you want a quick peek at some good ones.

All in all I think she's a hurt woman with problems who, like many of us, has resorted to drugs to help quell her pain.

A quote from "All The Drugs In The World" on her new album America's Sweetheart...
...There's noone in this bed
Obliterate the tuth
Coz there's no lies
That I could be and you would know...
...With all my money
With all my love
With all my money
It doesn't feel as good
As the drugs...

But she is so fucked up that she can't take care of her own daughter. She needs some sense knocked into her.

I definetly agree with that, but I think she's just so mired in addiction, pain and depression she can't deal with it. From all I've read she has been hurt her whole life, and she really loved Kurt, seeing Francis everyday must be a painful reminder.

Not justification for what she does, but...she's a person who needs help. Just like her daughter. :(

Love Pleads Guilty to Drug Charge

Love Pleads Guilty to Drug Charge
BBC News
May 25, 2004

Singer Courtney Love has pleaded guilty to a drugs charge in a plea deal that will see her enter a drug treatment programme.
Love, 39, had been charged in a Los Angeles court of being under the influence of cocaine and opiates.

She will escape a jail term if she completes the treatment. A charge of disorderly conduct was dropped.

The former Hole frontwoman still faces charges of drug possession stemming from an incident last October.

Those charges, to which she has pleaded not guilty, relate to prescription painkillers, oxycodone and hydrocodone, allegedly found by police in Love's Los Angeles home last October.

Both cases relate to her arrest in October 2003 after police said she damaged her ex-boyfriend's house in the middle of the night.

After being released on bail hours later, she was reportedly taken to hospital and treated for a suspected overdose.

Assault charge

Speaking outside the courthouse, prosecutor Jerry Baik said the terms of the deal would be outlined at a sentence hearing on 16 July.

Love, the widow of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, also faces separate charges that she assaulted a man in a New York nightclub.

She was arrested in March after allegedly injuring a man by throwing a microphone stand into the crowd during a gig in Manhattan.

A 24-year-old man received hospital treatment for head injuries.

She faces faces up to a year in jail if convicted. The court date is set for 28 June.

The troubled singer also recently lost custody of her daughter by Cobain, 11-year-old Frances Bean.

At the time of her arrest in New York she pleaded with police: "Please don't do this to me.... This incident will affect my custody case with my daughter. I'm not going to be able to get my kid."

Link

im sorry but i think courtney love is a big ol bitch and her band sux and so did her late husband

Where is your irrefutable evidence that Courtney Love had anything to do with the homicide/suicide of Kurt Cobain?

Oh that's right, you don't have any. You're claiming that your assumptions and speculations are fact.

Kurdt in Heaven

Kurdt is in Heaven shooting smack, eating mac n cheese and laughing his ass off right now. But I am sure that he feels for Frances tho...poor child.

i have the strangest feeling that Frances Bean is Kurdt reincarnated. Seriously. Thats his karma for commiting suicide in this lifetime...imagine having to live out the rest of your so called karma as the offspring of your widow. Anyway....does anybody here know for sure what Courtney is on? Opiates, crack, honest to gooodness smack...whaddaya think? i feel bad for her actually...she was doin pretty ok several yeaars ago after kurts death...cleaned up (well, lookswise she looked prettier & classier) , she was dating ed norton, and i think she was fuckin good in the flynt movie. what the f happened during the period between then and now? ONly kurt knows for sure.