• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 16/04/04 - Push to "tell truth" on cannabis

Flexistentialist

Bluelight Crew
Push to "tell truth" on cannabis
By David Wroe
Canberra
April 16, 2004

The Howard Government's drug taskforce is launching a new offensive against marijuana, with a booklet that the taskforce's head says will "tell the truth" and combat the "trivialisation" of the drug's dangers.

Australian National Council on Drugs chairman Brian Watters yesterday said a "pro-marijuana lobby" had successfully promoted the idea that cannabis was no more dangerous than alcohol and should be legalised.

"I think there has been a really concerted effort in some quarters to trivialise its effects," he said. "The pro-marijuana lobby have done very well. They are very, very active."

Major Watters said the booklet would counter these perceptions by bringing together all of the latest research in a balanced, non-ideological way.

"It's not going back to Reefer Madness," Major Watters said, referring to the 1936 cautionary film from the United States, which has gained a modern cult following. "But it's not going to be given the imprimatur of the hemp embassy at Nimbin either.

"It tells the truth... what the research really says about marijuana."

Marijuana is Australia's most widely used illicit drug. A third of Australians have tried it and one in eight have smoked it in the past year, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare figures show.

Major Watters, a Salvation Army officer with extensive experience in drug management, said he was "very opposed" to marijuana because he had seen the damage it did.

But David Crosby, another member of the council who expressed a more liberal view, said the booklet would provide non-judgemental information that allowed people to decide.

"There's very different views (on the council) about what we should do in relation to cannabis," said Mr Crosby, who is also Odyssey House chief executive.

Mr Crosby said heavy marijuana use was dangerous, but an "occasional joint" was probably no more harmful than an occasional drink, provided the casual user had no family history of mental illness. But because there was no summary of the latest research in Australia, a divided council decided the booklet was best, he said.

Marijuana has been linked with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, but opinion differs on whether it causes psychosis or simply triggers latent mental illness.

Major Watters dismissed the distinction. "I've always said, 'Who cares?' If my son suddenly develops schizophrenia, I don't care whether the marijuana caused it or triggered it," he said. "The result is he has a great deal of turmoil in his mind."

The council has commissioned the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre to create the booklet, expected to be published this year.

Centre spokesman Paul Dillon said the booklet would strive to avoid trivialising or demonising the drug.

"With everything we produce around cannabis, we try to keep a balance and give information that is accurate, up-to-date and does not push a barrow," he said.

hmm. this doesn't seem so bad. obviously the fact that it's still going to follow the anti-drugs agenda is still bad and will inevitably make it at least somewhat one-sided, if the apparently "more liberal" crosby is advocating it, perhaps it won't be too bad.

A third of Australians have tried it
It's illegal and 33% of the country smoke/smoked it anyway. What does that say about the effectiveness of the law in keeping drugs away from the population and discouraging use?

I've had conversations with 3 people who work at NDARC and 2/3 of them gave off distinct 'anti-drug' vibes, while 1 seemed indifferent. I gathered that was their personal opinions however and on a professional level they seemed inclined to treat drugs as objectively as possible... So lets hope it's that objectivism and lots of it that goes into this booklet.

Anyway, ranting aside, this looks like a step in the right direction.

:)

They refer to people contrasting mj with alcohol in the article so let's hope they do some comparasions in their booklet. Probably not though, because it will make mj look healthy for you. :p

apollo said:
I've had conversations with 3 people who work at NDARC and 2/3 of them gave off distinct 'anti-drug' vibes, while 1 seemed indifferent.

I wonder who does the hiring for NDARC, on the odd occasion that that occurs? I'd be very interested to see who had a say on their appointment. I know they're attached to UNSW, but they also get federal funding....

Well atleast the Aust government is taking a rash approch to cannabis compaired to places like America, they wouldn't be making a book they would be throwing anyone with any mull/bong in jail... Oh well i have always though Australians were smarter than Americans :p

VelocideX said:
I wonder who does the hiring for NDARC, on the odd occasion that that occurs? I'd be very interested to see who had a say on their appointment. I know they're attached to UNSW, but they also get federal funding....

They're not just attached to UNSW, they're a part of the faculty of medicine... Considering the specific nature of the skills/experience needed for most NDARC jobs, I think they'd do the hiring themselves.