Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Drug money used to fight crime

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Drug money used to fight crime
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9216982%5E1702,00.html
07apr04

MORE than $800,000 confiscated from convicted drug dealers in Western Australia will go to crime prevention and victim support programs.

Attorney-General Jim McGinty said 79 community and local government groups had applied for a share of the money, raised from the sale of cars, motorbikes, real estate and other assets confiscated from dozens of drug traffickers.
The money will be used to fund new crime-fighting initiatives, including assistance for victims of crime, preventative drug and alcohol education programs and help for abused children.

Mr McGinty said more than $3 million in assets had been confiscated from criminals over the past three years, with almost $1.2 million of criminal wealth redistributed last year.

Another $40 million in assets was currently frozen, awaiting finalisation of trials and formal confiscation proceedings in the courts.

WA's contentious Criminal Property Confiscation Act (CPCA) was introduced in 2000, as part of a government crackdown on bikie gangs and other criminal groups.

I've heard they're planning on doing this with all the drugs they confiscate as well. They're going to redistribute them amongst the masses. God bless em.

What, you mean it no longer goes into the Police Xmas party donation box! ;)

I can't wait for the day a conscientious but successful drug dealer makes an anonymous donation to a major Harm Reduction organisation =D

Considering police estimate they only seize around 3-10% of drugs circulating, and factoring in the energy and costs spent doing so, it would on the face of things seem a much more logical approach to instead approve dealing and tax the dealers. I'm sure many would gladly pay the small part of their profit required to equate the sums mentioned above. Income tax may a different story altogether, however it's not only drug dealers skirting that one :\

How many drug dealers do you know that could successfully fill out a BAS statement?