• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

ABC Special: Ecstasy Rising (Download Link on Page 3 !)

Daisybabe

Bluelight Crew
Documenting the agony of Ecstasy

It's taken in dimly lit rave clubs. It's downed on neatly manicured school campuses and used in professional psychotherapy sessions.

Ecstasy -- America's illicit drug of choice, a pretty poison that comes in a variety of pill forms emblazoned with everything from the word love to the face of a bunny rabbit.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration estimates that hundreds of millions of Ecstasy pills are taken each year and that about 2 million new users are recruited every year.

No other drug -- not heroin, not marijuana, not cocaine -- has ever spread so quickly.

To curb its spread, the government has spent millions of dollars making the case that Ecstasy, a mood elevator that produces a relaxed, euphoric state, can cause brain damage and even death.

But the government's claims were based on flawed science. The truth is, no one really knows for sure whether Ecstasy has any long-term, negative consequences. Much of what the government touted in its dramatic campaigns had to be retracted later.

And that disturbed Peter Jennings.

"Government is best when government is most honest, especially for the younger generation, which is more susceptible to trying drugs," says ABC's World News Tonight veteran anchor. "If (young people) can't rely on the government for good and honest information, then government has lost something enormously valuable, which is people's belief in the government's credibility."

As a concerned parent, Jennings wanted to shine a high-profile light on the growing Ecstasy problem and the government's reaction to it by hosting Primetime Thursday: Peter Jennings Reporting: Ecstasy Rising (10 p.m. Thursday EST).

The one-hour special is an informative look at the little-known history of Ecstasy and the government's failed attempts to stop the drug's massive distribution.

"This was an opportunity for us to look at whether or not the government isn't its own worst enemy in trying to control illegal drugs," Jennings says.

And is it?

"Yes," Jennings replies. "I believe a lot of people in government understood the science (about Ecstasy's negative side effects) was not good. But not until real attention was drawn to it did they take down their Web site on Ecstasy."

Jennings admits working on the special was educational for him.

"I had no idea Ecstasy was as old as it is," he says. "I had no idea that it had been introduced in California through psychotherapy, and I had no idea how effective it seemed to have been for some psychotherapists. I remember one psychologist telling us that one session with a patient on Ecstasy was equal to four years (of treatment) with a similar patient."

Although practically everyone has heard of Ecstasy, which was made illegal in 1985, most people aren't familiar with the drug's origins. Ecstasy Rising serves as a fascinating history lesson.

Alexander Shulgin, a famous Dow Chemical chemist, was the first person to report the effects of Ecstasy when he tested the drug on himself in 1976. He called the drug "window," because it was "like looking through a window at the world the way it really is."

The special also spotlights Michael Clegg, the millionaire Dallas drug dealer who gave Ecstasy its name and turned it into a recreational drug. Clegg, who spent 14 years studying for the priesthood, was immediately hooked when he took Ecstasy, gushing that it was like being "Moses on the mountaintop."

It's comments like Clegg's, however, that nearly undermine Jennings' well-intentioned special.

At times, Ecstasy Rising comes off as a glossy, late-night infomercial. There are too many happy-faced testimonials from people who have used Ecstasy and are more than willing to tout its benefits.

One woman remembers taking the drug for the first time at her 19th birthday party.

"We bonded, shared, gave massages.... It was the best birthday I've ever had."

One recreational user reflects on how popping Ecstasy gave him "2 1/2 hours of complete and utter rest."

A woman who was raped in 1983 says she was "broken into 1,000 pieces" after her attack, but Ecstasy saved her life and made her feel whole again.

Those aren't exactly the kind of comments teenagers determined to say no to drugs need to hear.

Is Jennings concerned that curious young viewers might be more prone to try Ecstasy after watching his special?

"It can't be a concern," Jennings says. "Our job is to lay out the facts. Can you imagine a responsible father like myself wanting to do an infomercial on drugs? I want people to look at this program and be arrested by it enough and concerned by it enough to really want to have the facts about one of the most popular drugs in the country."

SOURCE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posters comment: Surprisingly, this actually looks like it will be a well-balanced report. From today's Palm Beach (FL) Post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*edit* added source link and re-edit to fit guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to wait a day to post this.. you beat me to it .. Yes..It should be well-balanced for once.. The producers have been in constant contact with MAPS. Rick Doblin and Sasha Sulgin and many others are interviewed and the recent approval of MAPS MDMA/Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) study will be mentioned at the end of the show. If you support research into the medical use of psychoactive drugs please donate to MAPS.. It's a good cause :)

i am defintely going to watch this show. it looks interesting and like it will actually show another side to MDMA then waht the general public has seen. its exciting.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration estimates that hundreds of millions of Ecstasy pills are taken each year and that about 2 million new users are recruited every year.

thats funny they say recruited. Can people recruit them selfs?

what day and time is this on at?

from the ARTICLE:

As a concerned parent, Jennings wanted to shine a high-profile light on the growing Ecstasy problem and the government's reaction to it by hosting Primetime Thursday: Peter Jennings Reporting: Ecstasy Rising (10 p.m. Thursday EST).

Wow, Peter Jennings sounds like he's really on the good side ... I wish I had a TV and no job, then I could watch it :)

Ecstacy on ABC tonight

Peter Jennings Reporting: Ecstasy Rising
ABC - TV
Thursday, April 1st
10pm EST/PST, 9pm CST/MST

ABC press release:

The rise of Ecstasy is a major event in drug history. If current trends
continue, 1.8 million Americans will try Ecstasy for the first time in
2004; only marijuana will attract more new users. Overwhelming,
positive word of mouth has made Ecstasy a nightmare for drug controllers. On a
special edition of 'Primetime Thursday' Peter Jennings tells the epic
story of Ecstasy that has never been heard.

In the 1990s, Ecstasy seemed to come out of nowhere to join marijuana,
cocaine and heroin as one of the four most widely used illegal drugs in
the country. No other drug has ever spread so fast. To halt its spread,
the U.S. Government has spent millions of dollars making a dramatic
case against Ecstasy as a dangerous drug. The headline of this campaign
has been that Ecstasy causes massive brain damage.

But this is a claim based on flawed science, and many Ecstasy users now
feel their government has no credibility. What do we know about the
real risks of Ecstasy? Has the government been its own worst enemy in the
fight to stop the drug's use? Peter Jennings Reporting: 'Ecstasy
Rising' takes viewers through the seminal events in this story and introduces
all the major players -- from Alexander Shulgin, the famous chemist who
was the first person to report the effects of Ecstasy, to Michael
Clegg, the Dallas businessman who gave Ecstasy its name and turned it into a
recreational drug, to the drug enforcement officer who led the fight to
make Ecstasy illegal, to the DJ who brought Rave to America. This
special tells the definitive story of how an obscure compound, discovered in
1912 and all but forgotten for over 60 years, became the drug of choice
for a generation.

great!!! i love watching how the public goes about telling a story like this. hopefully peter jennings will come through with a good report, and bullshit made up facts.

It sounds wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen a program on broadcast tv that sounds as sensible as this. Any suggestions for similar viewing?

uumpaloompa said:
hopefully peter jennings will come through with a good report, and bullshit made up facts.

Um, what? Was that supposed to be sarcasm? If you're saying the report will be full of shit, I really think you'll be shown wrong. But why don't we wait to make these statements until after everyone has seen/heard about it.... It sounds like it will be very informative.

If somebody DivX's it, I'll host it.

In other news, isn't it funny how many people think its clever to name their reports "agony of Ecstasy"?

I wonder if the people who accused me of being "the biggest Ecstacy dealer in California" (when I've sold about 2 pills in my life... long enough ago to be beyond the statute of limitations ;)) will watch?

who mE? I will be recording this and can send it to you to host it. I will message you tomorrow probably :)

kittyinthedark said:
Um, what? Was that supposed to be sarcasm? If you're saying the report will be full of shit, I really think you'll be shown wrong. But why don't we wait to make these statements until after everyone has seen/heard about it.... It sounds like it will be very informative.
You are a complete idiot. I said I "hope" he comes through with the right facts. Ive seen and heard alot of bs regarding articles or storys on drugs were alot of the facts/truth werent right. I like Peter Jennings and Im sure he will do a good job reporting.

^^ I think there was a misunderstanding because you forgot the word 'not' in your first post :)

Perhaps Peter Jennings isn't just another talking head...I am fascinated.