• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is it illegal to consume DXM recreationally?

Witch Doctor

Bluelighter
DXM, extremely easy to get ur hands on.

just outta curiosity, is DXM illegal when consumed to get high? and if so, how can the courts prove u werent just a little paranoid about getting the flu again? 8)

It can't be illegal to consume large amounts... Its a completely legal chemical, I'm sure.

Why would you be in court for anything related to DXM? If you're in court it's usually because you've been accused of doing something wrong. Consumption of recreational doses of the drug may not be illegal in the case of legal chemicals, but that doesn't mean doing anything else while you're on the drug (e.g., driving, working, etc.) is also legal. Alcohol is legal too but you aren't allowed to drive when you've had enough to impair your performance...

BigTrancer :)

im not sure, but i was always under the impression that having DXM for recreational purposes was illegal?

i think i got this idea from the first time i tried to buy DXM, i asked for 2 bottles and they refused =D then they hit me with a whole lot of Q's and tried to palm off some other cough syrup to me. and then on another night, over the coarse of an evening i think 3 of us went to the only chemist open (up till 11pm i think), anyhow i was the unlucky person who at the last minute thought id join in the DXM fun, and got shouted at by the pharmasist, he said something along the lines of "I know what u and your mates are doing, if any of u come in here again im throwing u out".. :(

why would they be so anal if its fully legal?

Probably because you made it so obvious...? Not everyone out there in the 'general public' is sympathetic to the idea of getting nailed on chemicals, believe it or not.

A pharmacist trying to run a legal business selling legal chemicals that say "pharmacist supply only" and "use only as directed" on them knows that they're the only person who you can get this product from. If the pharmacist isn't happy with the idea of people getting high on cough syrup then they're pretty much within their rights not to sell it to you if they don't want to... particularly if you're under 18.

Last edited:
ehhee

maybe i should stop going in there with my "Drugs kill slowly, but im in no hurry" T-shirt?

hehe

but even when i dont make it obvious, usually i go in and ask for "BLAH" and then they ask if its for me, i usually say no its for my little brother, or my mum or <insert fam member>..
i still get questioned etc..

arent 20yr olds allowed to buy cough syrup? heehehe

oh well it doesnt matter... im sorta over my DXM honeymoon anyhow :)

Nah those are standard questions the pharmacist is supposed to ask, that's why Robitussin isn't 'on the shelf' but is rather available 'over the counter'.

It's not always an assumption that you'll be using it recreationally - remember, there's heaps of people out there who don't know a dxm from a gbh... but they still all get sick and need to have medicine. The pharmacist has to ask a series of questions with most pharmacy medication to ensure that the person is (a) indicating symptoms that would required the medicine, and (b) isn't going to take it with contraindicated medication (e.g., some people take tablets all the time to control various conditions such as high blood pressure, which could interact badly with certain cold-flu meds containing pseudoephedrine, among other things).

Witch Doctor said:
why would they be so anal if its fully legal?

Because if you walk out without proper advice then have a car accident after taking it, a good lawyer will easily dump responsibility over to them. There's plenty more reasons, but chances are they're not trying to find out if you're getting high or not. They're trying to protect you, and themselves.

:)

Are you sure it's legal to consume for rec purposees? Or is it illegal to consume with the intent to intoxicate, much like bulbs?

So it could be one of those grey areas of the law.

and what about powder? in particular if a person has extracted the powder and its netted along with equipment in a raid for other drugs?

which products contain DXM in australia? and do you have to ask the pharmacist for them? What kind of questions they ask?

Because the medication is used to treat symptoms of a cold/flu, if the cough doesn't go away within a week or two (the amount of time a bottle should last when using 5 mL every 6 hours as directed) then you should see a doctor rather than continue suppressing the cough. There could be something more serious wrong that Robitussin just won't fix...

BT ;)

but its winter.. i have 6 kids, and they all got the flu.. i also want to stock up so i dont have to come back to the pharmacy every few weeks when one of the little ones gets flu again..?

heheh

Just one extra tidbit from the Erowid DXM Vault - DXM FAQ:
2.3 Keeping DXM Legal

Right now, DXM is legal for over-the-counter use in most places. This seems to be for two reasons primarily. First, there is no substitute for DXM that does not also have abuse potential. Nor is there likely to ever be one; everywhere the cough reflex can be blocked involves some type of receptor associated with recreational drug effects. Second, pharmaceutical companies don't want to lose a major chunk of their income. DXM works as a cough suppressant, and it works well. Besides, nobody wants to have to go to the doctor to get a prescription every time they get a cold.

However, it is possible that DXM-only preparations might disappear from the market. This would be unfortunate, both for recreational users and for the general public; the most likely additive - guaifenesin - makes some people vomit even at low doses. Another possibility would be the addition of something which would be harmless at regular doses but induce nausea (or other unpleasant effects) at recreational doses.

The best answer is probably prevention, which unfortunately involves two conflicting goals. On the one hand, it is essential that DXM related deaths do not occur - this was my primary motivation in making this FAQ in the first place. Several DXM cough medicines can be dangerous if consumed recreationally, due to the presence of other ingredients. There is also the problem of drug interactions, e.g., DXM + Seldane(TM), which can be fatal.

On the other hand, the spread of information to keep people from hurting themselves is also likely to inform people who didn't know about DXM, and will want to try it. DXM is still an unknown to many people (although not as big an unknown as most think - pockets of recreational DXM use have existed as long as DXM has). I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have a bunch of people doing it safely than a few doing it dangerously - but then again, I'm also in favor of sex education.

Thus, I encourage anyone who may want to try DXM or tell her or his friends to try it (which I again explicitly tell you not to do) to make sure and emphasize all the risks and dangers involved. Don't rush into high dosages. Don't trip alone, or without a designated sober person. Don't encourage people who are not psychologically mature to experiment with DXM. And please use common sense and be safe.

BT :)

So, brands please anyone? from what I read in other forums the powder or tablets seem to be the go as they are not nausiating like the syrup

You only need to find one product when looking for the dxm experience, robotussin DX... benadryl dry forte 'menthol apricot flavour' is absolutley disgusting, if you imagine the worst thing you've ever put into your mouth and the imagine it in the form of menthol thick syrup then your close....

Me and my friend are the underground DXM addicts of the illawarra, were've even been baned from three chemists!

Nah... Benadryl forte tastes fine. Its also not over the counter.... less hassles (maybe not all chemists).

Then again I havent tried the 'apricot flavour'.

dxm is good. ive asked for it a couple times and they try to offer me other stuff lol. but i like it. though many people say what lol u gettin high of cough syrup..even though its way more mind altering.