Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News : Cannabis law kicks off , Perth

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
New cannabis law kicks off today

By Ben Martin

FROM today, possession of small amounts of cannabis might not be considered a crime in WA.

At a police officer's discretion, a person can have up to 30g and still avoid a criminal record, instead paying a fine up to $150 and going to compulsory drug education classes.

And a household will be allowed to grow two cannabis plants without the occupants facing criminal charges. They will be fined $200 and have to go to drug education classes.

The changes were recommended at the community drug summit in 2001. The Government's aim is that more people will be referred for medical help for cannabis use and that people in the compulsory education and treatment programs will understand the health effects of cannabis.

Police do not expect a big change from the Court government policy which gave officers the discretion to issue cautions to first offenders.

Organised crime Det-Supt Jim Migro said the changes would cut the time police spent on administrative tasks and court appearances over small amounts of cannabis.

But police would not be more lenient on drug dealers and or less vigilant when investigating drug use.

Dealers would still be charged with criminal offences and police still could charge people even if they had less than 30g of the drug.

The new laws expressly prohibited hydroponically grown plants.

Supt Migro said it was important to note that possessing cannabis was not legal under the new laws but had simply been decriminalised.

The Opposition said the message for young people was that possessing cannabis was not serious.

Opposition Leader Colin Barnett and Liberal MLC Simon O'Brien visited a drug rehabilitation centre for girls yesterday.

Mr O'Brien said a Liberal government would repeal the laws - they were a danger to children.

Mr Barnett said the laws, which would be interpreted as tacit approval of cannabis use, were trendy among some sections of the community who had influenced Premier Geoff Gallop's law-making.

Dr Gallop said Mr Barnett was a desperate politician in a desperate situation and the misinformation did the Opposition very little credit.

The laws were common sense, the punishment would fit the offence.

Cannabis use was still illegal and campaigns against traffickers would continue. "A lot of (police) work has been taken up in these sorts of offences and they would much rather be going for the drug traffickers," Dr Gallop said.

I linked to this in the Dob in a dealer thread but this is significant news in Perth right now. The change of legislation for the possession of cannabis in WA. As of yesturday the 22nd of March as I understand it.
...and credit to samadhi for bringing it to our attention ;)

Last edited:
You stole my breaking news ya baastard....hehe j/k mate!:)
Bout time i say! :)

they are idiots for excluding hydroponics... what about people like myself who want to grow their own stash to save money (and ultimately defeat the black market as well)???

two outdoor plants aint gonna satisfy any stoner worth his salt for more than a month!!! and theres only one growing season a year, so thats 11 months spent buying it anyway. two hydro plants every 3 months would be perfect. hopefully they will change the unfair bits about hydros and hash oil (some of us DONT like smoking "old man weed")

Hey I got a spare $150, who wants to join me for cones in front of the central law courts?

Hydroponic plants can mature in 6 weeks. If you can have 2 at any one time theres no way you could claim all of 2 hydroponic plants every 6 weeks is just for your personal use. I would imagine that is why they are prohibited as technically it really looks like your growing with intent to sell or supply.

I think this really is a huge step in the right direction by decriminalising small amounts of cannabis.

DeSpise said:
they are idiots for excluding hydroponics... what about people like myself who want to grow their own stash to save money (and ultimately defeat the black market as well)???

(some of us DONT like smoking "old man weed")

I couldn't agree more, but then if you read my posts in dob in day thread I no longer have a choice. It's absolutely INSANE that ppl can get a criminal record for even a single plant! We can only wait for the day that these dinosaurs leave politics and take their pre-historic laws and ideals with them

hehe 6 weeks, pump the plant full of chemicals without flushing maybe!

Id recommend flushing it for 2 weeks plus! (growing it properly)

man, sif WA has more lenient laws than SA now.

and its possible to get ALOT of weed out of 2 outdoor plants. Ive seen outdoor taller than most single story houses. Ya just gotta know what ya doin.

Sure 2 outdoor plants in pots aint gonna get ya much.

I like the idea of compulsory drug eduction... :) My moma always said I should get an education.