• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US firms try to block cheap Aids drugs

BA

Bluelight Crew
The US, under pressure from its giant pharmaceutical companies, is trying to undermine the use in poor countries of cheap, copycat Aids drugs, made by "pirate", generic companies but validated by the World Health Organisation, campaigners claim.

US drug companies want the money promised for President George Bush's Aids plan to be spent on their products.

The American department of health and human sciences has now convened a conference in Botswana at the end of the month that will question the WHO's approval process for generic drugs, known as "pre-qualification".

If the cheap drugs, which sell for less than £165 per patient per year, are discredited and the more expensive brand-name drugs are bought instead, the limited money available for treatment will help fewer people and reduce the WHO's hopes of getting 3 million on treatment by 2005.

"It is not quality and safety and efficacy they [the American companies] are concerned about, but the protection of patents," said Rachel Cohen of Médecins sans Frontières in the US. "The real reason this conference is being held is to come up with ways of undermining generic drugs."

Plans to put millions of people on drugs to try to stem the Aids epidemic are based in most African countries on the purchase of cheap copies of drugs invented and under patent in the US and Europe. People with HIV need a daily cocktail of three drugs to suppress the virus in the body and stay alive and well.

Because the patents on the component drugs are held by different multinationals, only the generic companies make a basic three-in-one pill. A very simple regime, taking one pill, twice a day, is considered to be most feasible in poor countries. Scientists working for the WHO have examined and approved certain generic three-in-one pills.

About 50,000 people are already taking these generic Aids drugs. MSF, which runs free Aids treatment programmes in Africa, gives them to some 9,000 patients. In Zimbabwe, it treats patients for £109 to £136 a year. A programme by the US Centres for Disease Control uses brand-name drugs at £325 per patient per year. In addition, the patient has to take six pills a day, instead of two.

When President Bush pledged £8bn for Aids in his state of the union address last year, and hailed the plunge in drug prices to £165 a year, it was assumed that the US would be willing to buy generics to make the money go further. However, Randall Tobias, the former chief executive of the giant US drug company Eli Lilly and the man appointed to head the president's Aids strategy, claims that generic drugs manufactured overseas may not be made to the consistency and quality of those manufactured in the US.

"It would be a disaster if we invested in drugs that were not consistent, don't have all the right components and we just don't know whether some of these do or do not," he told the House of Representatives' international relations committee earlier this month.

But WHO officials involved in approving the generic drugs defend their system, pointing out that the drug regulatory agencies of France, Switzerland, Canada and South Africa are among those involved in the process.

link
3-20-04

That is pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves but at least they have been exposed for what they truly are and where there true interest lies.

^^ They aren't exposed except to the ones who can see through the foggy deception and there aren't as many of those out there as would be ideal.

Dear lord this disgusts me. :|

Last edited:
You're right, it is sickening morally speaking, but on a purely practical level... it costs about US$1.2 billion to get a drug on the market, and many drugs cost a fortune but never make it through clinical trials. If a company can't get the money back from sales of the drugs that DO sell, then it can't afford to develop new drugs... this would not be a good thing!!

One thing that was being discussed was extending the patents on those particular drugs in exchange for allowing sale of generic drugs in poorer countries - this would mean that, even though the companies aren't getting the money from third world countries where the drugs are desperately needed, they'd be making exclusive profits in the US for a longer period. I don't know what ever happened to this idea, but i think that it has a great deal of potential...

I live in Australia, I cant imagine the uproar this would cause if we were involved in something like this. These things are becoming less and less of an issue to the public in the US because they (the public) are use to hearing about how their government destroys countries and humanity in general

People fail to realise that there needs to be an incentive for drug companies to make $$.

I do agree that cheap AIDS drugs need to be distributed... but if people are willing to ignore the patents, then what incentive is there for them to research the next generation of anti-HIV drugs if they know they'll never make $$ back on them?

hmm phantasmal,
that sounds like a good idea.

It's too bad that money is quite important in our world.

Reading all this makes me feel more and more disgusted towards this country:p

I want bush to wake up in a straw hut in the middle of a 120 degrees fareinheit, thin as a stick, giving up food for his family so he can afford patented drugs:p

^^ This isn't Bush...this is actually above him, and it has been going on a long time. Something as big as AIDs medicine just makes the press.

just another sign of our world and how corrupt it is. People die so that others can make even more money. We realize this, but so many people can't see through the shit. They actually believe that the AIDS drugs aren't as good as the expensive ones. Some people will believe anything they are told as long as it goes with society.

phantasmal said:
You're right, it is sickening morally speaking, but on a purely practical level... it costs about US$1.2 billion to get a drug on the market, and many drugs cost a fortune but never make it through clinical trials. If a company can't get the money back from sales of the drugs that DO sell, then it can't afford to develop new drugs... this would not be a good thing!!

One thing that was being discussed was extending the patents on those particular drugs in exchange for allowing sale of generic drugs in poorer countries - this would mean that, even though the companies aren't getting the money from third world countries where the drugs are desperately needed, they'd be making exclusive profits in the US for a longer period. I don't know what ever happened to this idea, but i think that it has a great deal of potential...

Just about EVERYBODY in this thread that is so "sickened" by this article needs to re-read phatasmal's post.

Companies, also drug producing companies, invest billions in research and if they see their return on investment damaged, they will have to withhold part of their investment next time. For those who are against the capitalist feeling of it all, money has been the incentive to create these therapies.

It is a COMPANY's job to protect the interests of their shareholders. It is the GOVERNMENTS' job to work for everyone and to create a reasonable global infrastructure for delivering these drugs.

Governments should not do that by looking away when the creators of these therapies are ripped off by illegal actions. They should work together with the companies to distribute these drugs widely. If this does not work out, new legislation could be introduced to force the companies to produce in bulk at a lower price for certain purposes.

Governments should address the problem more constructively. If a company does what is legal and you are still not satisfied, your problem is with the law and with your government.

quit bashing america and the pharmaceutical companies. America is kinda fucked up here and there and over there too but America has nothing to do with this. Someone invested millions of dollars into developing these drugs and then someone turned around, jacked their idea and sold it at a much cheaper price because they didnt have to spend all that money researching it. sure this has to do with greed but if i put money into something i want to see results, i want to see my investment grow and prosper and it cant do that if someones jackin my ideas.

do agree that cheap AIDS drugs need to be distributed... but if people are willing to ignore the patents, then what incentive is there for them to research the next generation of anti-HIV drugs if they know they'll never make $$ back on them?

well, that's not really an issue. anti-retroviral drugs account for a relatively small percentage of most pharmaceutical's profits. and besides, there's a vast difference between allowing sub-saharan africa (where infection rates are astronomical and poverty is endemic) to distribute generic drugs and allowing Wall-Mart to sell their 'own-brand anti-AIDS pill'.

quit bashing america and the pharmaceutical companies. America is kinda fucked up here and there and over there too but America has nothing to do with this.

america does have somthing to do with this by its very nature, but the american people don't. it's not an anti-american thing, it's an anti-company thing. there is an ethical application to AIDS policy, one which is heavily underscored by the sheer magnitude of the problem.

Someone invested millions of dollars into developing these drugs and then someone turned around, jacked their idea and sold it at a much cheaper price because they didnt have to spend all that money researching it. sure this has to do with greed but if i put money into something i want to see results, i want to see my investment grow and prosper and it cant do that if someones jackin my ideas

that paragraph, i must admit, seems pretty incredible to me. do you really think the generic drugs were produced 'because they didn't have to spend all that money researching [them]'?

they were produced because there are around 34 million - i'll say that again, thirty-four million - people in countries around the world who are dying.

there are two problems with the 'i want to see results for my money!' argument. the first is that pharmaceutical companies are hardly a dying breed - look at the profit margins for any of the big companies. the second is that the pharmaceutical trade is a separate entity from industrial or economic enterprise. its global regulatory position - and its ethical application - effectively separate it from other industries.

also, i think everyone's kind of missing the point. the problem is not competition, it's prices - even the lowest pricing structure considered acceptable by the companies involved is WAY OUT OF REACH OF MOST AFRICANS.

'sure this has to do with greed'.

yes, clearly it does.

you want to see your investment grow and prosper without people jacking your ideas, and you're happy for people to die so you can do it. you couldn't bring yourself to invest in some other company, i guess - but discounting that line of argument, this just seems to be the sickest kind of greed.

try to imagine what it's like to live in a society where 60 out of every 100 people is dying of HIV/AIDS. try to imagine what it's like to know that if you're lucky, one of your three children may survive childhood. try to consider what it means to have an average daily income of much less than a dollar.

think about that - less than you spend getting your car washed, or buying a soft drink - has to pay for everything a person needs for an entire day.

try to imagine what it's like, then, when you hear that there are companies that can help you and your children to live. most sub-saharan africans will need state and NGO assistance to afford the GENERIC drugs, which the article below quotes at £165 per year. what fucking chance do you think they have of affording a big company solution? none.

i don't know, maybe it's because i've been there and seen the devastation. do you know that in malawi there aren't enough truck drivers to move around food supplies because the rate of HIV infection amongst adult males with licenses can be nearly 85%?

it's easier to rationalise about profits and ethics when you can walk out of your house, with electricity and running water, and buy whatever you want. it's much more difficult when you're holding hands with someone half your age who you know will never live to be a teenager, *just because you were lucky enough to be born in a different country*.

i've spoken with mothers who have one remaining child out of seven.

i've seen children with AIDS, naked, playing with abandoned shell casings.

things don't get more poignant then that. if you can't see that there's a much higher issue at stake then something like 'profits' and 'investments', i worry for you. if you can go and look into the eyes of a dying child and tell them - face to face - that they should die so that your portfolio is fattened...

words fail.

^^^ DUDE! Are you kidding me?!

That was a very heart wrenching story. And I must say, I pity anyone in the world with ANY kind of debilitating disease ... for you to have seen it first hand must have been an extremely eye opening experience.

The point here, isn't that anyone DOESN'T want people with AIDS to have access to the medicine they require, the point, is that the people that actually DEVELOPED this drug paid TONS AND TONS of money to do it. Without turning a profit (you know- the incentive for a 'for-profit' organization to SPENDING TONS AND TONS OF MONEY ) this company, and other organizations spending TOP DOLLAR to produce the BEST drugs in the world will all STOP PRODUCING THESE DRUGS.

So, without any incentive to produce state-of-the-art drugs, NO ONE WILL.

It's really quite simple. And to try and spin this topic into people wanting to have bigger houses and nicer cars at the expense of people living with AIDS is irresonsible at best.

Well, at least for a Doctor.

Last edited:
dr seuss said:
well, that's not really an issue. anti-retroviral drugs account for a relatively small percentage of most pharmaceutical's profits. and besides, there's a vast difference between allowing sub-saharan africa (where infection rates are astronomical and poverty is endemic) to distribute generic drugs and allowing Wall-Mart to sell their 'own-brand anti-AIDS pill'.

I'm fairly sure that being the only option to the largest market in the world for these drugs is something that the manufacturer's counted on.

Without THEIR MONEY being spent on the R&D for these drugs, the knock-off's wouldn't EVEN HAVE A PRODUCT.

Do you see how capitalizing on SOMEONE ELSE'S investment substantially decreases the motives for people to invest in ventures like these in the future? Consider the US' attempts to block the distribution of these drugs an investment in the world's future, not the pharmeceutical companies' pockets.

dont get me wrong here. i'm not sayin that if they cant pay for the drugs than thats their problem. i was just trying to portray what the company's reason was for tryin to block those knockoff drugs. i really hope that someday humanity will be able to overcome money and start to care about things much much more important than a piece of rectangular paper with ink on it.........:(