Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shotgun!!

muzby

Bluelighter
To solve all arguments, and in the hope of eliminating the evil evil game of paper, scissors, rock, i have issued to all the official rules of "shotgun"..

A. Shotgun Defined
Shotgun is defined as the right front passenger seat in all automobiles in the United States. This would be the left front passenger seat for those reading this from the British realm. A person occupying the shotgun position is said to be “riding shotgun.”

B. The Responsibility of the Driver

1. The driver of the vehicle in question is the sole arbiter of shotgun calls, and it is his responsibility to ensure that all rules and procedures are followed.

a. In the case of a disputed shotgun call, the parties in dispute should appeal to the driver who will then issue a ruling on the matter.
b. The driver may illicit a second calling of shotgun if he so choses. All such rulings are final.
c. The driver is free to punish violators in the specific manner outlined in this document for violations. The driver may also enact penalties not stated herein. Such penalties may be overruled by unanimous vote by all other occupants.

C. The Calling of Shotgun

1. All potential occupants of the vehicle in question are eligible to call shotgun.

2. Shotgun is to be called by clearly saying the word “shotgun.” The abbreviation “shotty” is also acceptable.

3. Shotgun may only be called when all parties are in sight of the said vehicle. Any premature callings or callings on the wrong automobile will result in automatic disqualification.

4. Shotgun may only be called once all parties riding in the vehicle in question are outdoors in anticipation of embarking upon their voyage.

a. An individual is said to be outdoors once both of their feet or other means of self-propulsion have made contact with the ground outside of the relevant building or covered structure from which the group is disembarking.
b. Returning inside the structure of origin does not invalidate the claim of shotgun, unless all parties return indoors, at which point the shotgun position is considered vacant and must be called again upon exiting said building.
c. Premature calling of shotgun will result in automatic disqualification from shotgun consideration for the immediate trip at hand. Repeated violations could result in disqualification from shotgun consideration for the entire trip, at the driver’s discretion.

5. The shotgun position becomes vacant immediately upon arrival at the stated destination.

a. Side trips to gas stations, banks, and convenience stores do not terminate rights to shotgun.
b. Trips to establishments other than the original stated destination, excluding those mentioned in point 4.a. of this document, do result in the termination of shotgun rights provided that all occupants exit the vehicle in question.

6. No “dibs” on shotgun may be called. Doing so may result in the suspension of shotgun privileges for the duration of the trip, at the driver’s discretion.

7. A shotgun call may be overruled by the driver in favor of having the driver’s girlfriend/boyfriend, fiancé, wife/husband, lover, concubine, casual sex partner, hired sex worker, or anyone who may serve any or all of the previously mentioned roles in the future, occupy the shotgun position.

a. Drivers may also overrule calls of shotgun in favor of having the occupant with the best navigational skills in the shotgun position (known as the Home Ground Clause),
b. Or in order to accommodate an injury to an occupant that prevents said occupant from riding in a position other than that of shotgun.

Last edited:
Props to you, Muzby. :D
You have made thing's much clearer, and I shall be issuing all of my travellers a copy of this, before embarking on any trip.
=Hugs=

What about the ever present rule where one must be able to see the vehicle in question before shotgun can be called?

And the shotgun challenge involving paper scissors rock is an esteemed tradition ;)

CB :)

[edit: Bah. Beaten to it.]

Another rule we tended to abide by was having to be able to see the vehicle you're travelling in before calling shotgun, and having the driver in your immediate presence
(ie. no running to the end of the street seeing the car and screaming shotgun)

Shotgun rules are great. They prevent violent bloody battles outside the car when wrestling for that wonderful front seat

The Muz... delivers yet again. Good stuff.
What I want to know is -- Who decided the word "shotgun" would be appropriate for such an activity? I mean, it's a great word for it -- it just seems odd that the word "shotgun" is used.
Maybe the first ever front passenger seat dispute was settled with the use of shotguns? Who knows...

The owner of the car should also be given automatic shotgun, regardless of who is driving. For example, I own my car, but I don't have a license so I don't drive it. Therefore, I always get shotgun. Always.

dandy, in the old school days of the horse and cart, the person who sat next to the driver on top of the cart carried a shotgun which was used to shoot at/scare off any potential robbers or fiends trying to loot the cart.

or at least thats my understanding of the origin of the term

^^thats basically the same one i heard, although they weren't referred to as fiends very often. Mung beetles was a common term though

apparently in some areas they were refered to as "toe-rags" aswell :)

cough um hello cough*

...dont forget the *girlfriend rule* = girlfriend/boyfriend of qualifies automatically for shotgun privileges

also, there is the bastard law... cant remember what it entails tho... somehing about calling bastard within 5 sconds of someone calling shot gun, and hitting them... :\

u could also add that the girlfriend/boyfriend also has the rights to give away the shotgun position if its discussed with the driver....

I think the bf / gf angle was pretty well covered. ;)
6. A shotgun call may be overruled by the driver in favor of having the driver’s girlfriend/boyfriend, fiancé, wife/husband, lover, concubine, casual sex partner, hired sex worker, or anyone who may serve any or all of the previously mentioned roles in the future, occupy the shotgun position.

^hey i missed that! oops.

have to learn how to skim read better... ...or jsut wear my glasses... either or. whichever ocmes first =D

Hehe, you should learn to speed read [no, that isn't reading while under the influence ;)] - - - has served me well through the years. :D

3. Shotgun may only be called once all parties riding in the vehicle in question are outdoors in anticipation of embarking upon their voyage.

a. An individual is said to be outdoors once both of their feet or other means of self-propulsion have made contact with the ground outside of the relevant building or covered structure from which the group is disembarking.
b. Returning inside the structure of origin does not invalidate the claim of shotgun, unless all parties return indoors, at which point the shotgun position is considered vacant and must be called again upon exiting said building.
c. Premature calling of shotgun will result in automatic disqualification from shotgun consideration for the immediate trip at hand. Repeated violations could result in disqualification from shotgun consideration for the entire trip, at the driver’s discretion.
[/B]

Such rules apply, although my group of mates have different rules with reguard to the 'calling' of shotgun.
In the above circumstance it was found that people were hitting, kicking, tripping and generally fighting to obtain an 'outside' position, as such allowing them to call shotgun.
This also applies to the 'seeing' of the car rule whereby taller or faster people may be able to see the car faster than others.
To limit such activities, in my group, the driver must establish that the group is leaving and after such a motion is made shotgun is open to be 'called'.
Such an 'establishment of leaving' motion can be of the statement "lets go", or similar, by the driver, or a similar statement by another member of the group, followed by a movement toward the car by the driver (such as getting out of his or her seat).
The 'establishment of leaving' is determined by the driver, as is the determining of whom will ride shotgun, as with Musby's rules.
Note: As you may have guiess SHOTGUN is a very important and priviledged place in my lil' circle of groovestas =D
Just a little point I thought i'd add.
Nice effort by Muzza.
PEACE

back in highschool we had the "bloodbath' rule, just to spice things up a little. in short, it involves someone calling shotgun, whereby the driver may then call "BLOODBATH" which in turn negates the shotgun callers position in the seat, leaving it open for all passengers vying for said seat to make a mad rush for the car and doing everything in their power to be the first person strapped into the seat. hitting, kicking, punching, pulling is all acceptable- basically it a no holds barred rush to get shotgun

Dandy said:
I think "Mung-beetles" is the correct term bro...

i think u would be correct brother, a mung beetle being the lowest of the low, beyond dirt..... beyond apo even :p