Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Your Philanthropic Nature

haste

Bluelight Crew
I've had one of those days today at work where every charity in Australia has either called or walked in asking for donations. Our company has some designated charitys that we contribute to so its policy to turn them away.

But it got me thinking as to how philanthropic I am personaly. I don't donate to any charity on any consistent basis, mainly because I'm skeptical about where the funds are actually going. Having said this, I will drop money into collection tins without a thought or question as to where its going - weird. I kind of feel guilty alot of the time because I would deep down like to contribute to people less fortunate than me.

My philanthropic actions in the past have been a more a hands on approach, working as a voluntary youth worker (even at times where I was employed as a paid one). I get a better sense of having actually made a difference cause I can see the results in front of me.

I'm also a blood donor casue again I can see an immediate result - I've been slack the past few months, but I hope to get back into the swing of things.

So how philanthropic are you? Do you support charities or do you have issues why you don't?

I did a tin rattle for the red cross 3 years ago. Does that count me in as a philanthropist?

I actually have this problem that, when approached by people asking for money, if i have loose change, i cant say no.
Be they genuine collectors, or junkies in need of a meal or hit, i will give them my change

Blood donation is a love of mine. In fact, I managed to turn it into a competition between uni mates. We train up our cardio system, drink a shitload of water before donating, and see who can offload the 480ml the fastest, without getting too many evil-eyes from the nurses
Im runners up at the moment :( Last competition I was pounded by 45seconds

and ill buy raffle tickets if i can afford them.
Thats as far as my charitability goes

I give money to almost every homeless person I see, leave notes in the 3rd world airplane appeal, have previously sponsored a child and given to many charities (only after being prompted). I like to think of myself as having philanthropic values, but in reality do I? I have never donated my time and served soup or worked at the retirement home. I do have concerns about the money adequately reaching the intended recipients, but I tend to give anyway. I enjoy stopping for 5 minutes and chatting to homeless people about their lives and helping them out with a dollar or two.

I often find myself resenting people who are in a position of extreme wealth and priviledge. I use to think it was their fault that I hated them, but I've realised it is my beliefs that cause me to see faults in others. One of these beliefs is the importance of philanthropy. If I can give to charities and bums on a student income, then they should do the same. However, different people hold different values, so it is unrealistic to think everyone should be the same. On a recent Sydney outing to 'W' and some Eastern Suburbs yacht club I found myself very distressed and contemplating why i feel this way about people in a wealthy postion.

I generally go by a rule, that when a junkie or charity person asks me for money (within reason of course), I'll say no, and if they apologise, then I'll give them all my change.

Theres about five people in the Cross who I'm happy to give my money to because they always apologise when someone (politely) says no.

That, and they are a good when it comes to unopened bottles of Valium. :p

I joined greenpeace recently and give a monthly donation. I try to always give when i get a door knocker or walk past people that are collecting for charities in shopping malls etc.

When i was in year 10 i started a st vincent de paul group and organised a bbq for under privleged children so that they and there families could have a nice day in the park with free food and some entertainment. I come from a poor family so i know what it's like to be a poor child.

With that group i organised that we give some of our time to the shops to help them out aswell.

I am forever giving money to people who ask for it in the street. I really don't have the cash to do any of these things but i figure if someone is at such a low point in their life that they have to beg strangers for money they are doing it harder then i am and need it more.

i would give blood, as it costs me nothing, but i cant because i was born in the UK, and therefore im a mad cow ;)

i have on occasion donated my time, as it also costs nothing, to run basketball camps / work at a retirement home (altho the retirement home was an order from school, moebro knows what im talking about)

as for giving up my money, no way, i dont earn that much, and while i realise i am far more fortunate than most, there are ppl far better off than me who do just as little, its not like i can really make that big a difference with my limited funds....

i used to do all the collection stuff when i was in high school (red cross, amnesty, cancer council, blah, blah, blah) and not just to get out of classes but because i liked to help.
i'm not really up for donating to random charities, like those people who come up in the street or stand on corners asking for money as i'm just always too suss on them.
if a homeless person or and individual asks me for money i'll ask them what they want it for and as they often say food, i'll offer to go and buy them something to eat, but i'm not to happy to just go handing my money over as i don't really have enough to support myself, let alone others.

has anyone else ever encountered the funny guy who hangs out in the city (sydney) and sells these leather wrist band things? he tried to get my ex to buy one one day but he didn't want one and just wanted to give him money, but the guy would not take it unless my ex bought a band. it was cute and weird at the same time.

i dont generally give to ppl asking for donations on the street etc, cos every cent counts for me right now. i'll only ever give to the RSPCA or the WWF or any animal foundation because i think those charities get far less from the general public than anything directed at human diseases etc.

and i've never really helped out personally either. when i was younger i raised quite a bit for those things that schools run, where u can get cameras and stuff depending on how much you raise. i think it was the Heart Foundation, which was probly good in retrospect cos my dad's had two heart attacks.

i always had an idea when i was single that i would end up this rich old spinster with a massive house and a thousand cats that i would look after. oh dear, i'm such a sucker for lost kitten eyes!

Students like me who habitually use nicotine, caffeine and alcohol can't afford to give to charities... :)

I did some work at Amnesty International once, but that's the extent of it.

Donate blood like I and make some poor soul happy with all the toxins we willingly consume :)

I give money to bums if they ask, i dont give a fuck what they want it for, if they desperate enoug to ask they obviously need it.

Also, i always tip cabbies and pizza delivery boys.

But that's about all I can afford (disregarding the drugs I philanthropically give to people so they will be as high as me and provide entertainment)

it depends.

right now, i don't really ever (on the very odd occasion) give money to charities, as i really don't have a helluva lot of it, and struggle to pay the bills. i don't feel too guilty though, because one day i hope to (and think that i will) have enough to donate significant amounts to many different charities. either way, once i get to a having some sort of full-time employment i will definitely donate to charities that i think worthy on a regular basis - the only way to change the world is to actually do something about it.

giving time is something that i'd like to do more of, but tbh i have even less time to give than i have cash, and that's saying something. i'm not really sure if i'll *ever* have time though, as i'm always finding new things that i seem to *need* to do, so perhaps i'll just be one of those 'cop-out' people who gives lotsa cash but no hands-on stuff. it's not ideal, but i figure it's better than nothing. though of course i've done little of either so far, so i shouldn't get too far ahead of myself.

giving blood is one thing i do - i really don't understand why not to. i'm probably the least likely person to, as i'm scared shitless of needles (and it hasn't gotten any better - i've been giving blood for a few years, and i still stress out hardcore each time i have to go), but i think things like saving human lives are far more important than my petty stresses. thus, those that don't, i strongly urge you to consider it. it only takes half an hour or so, every few months, and it's just great to be able to help people out (especially with minimal effort ;)).

hopefully one day i'll have enough cash to really make a significant difference to the world, but so far i'm just trying to get there.

the people i really admire are those in similar situations to me, who are already being very philanthropic - those who donate their (already minimal) time and money to causes. unfortunately i guess my priorities don't allow for this (i'm too selfish, i guess :\), but those that do - a big thumbs up to you :)

I use to do the 40 hour famine when I was young. If I had money to give now I would, but i cant even afford to put money in my car so I can feed my horse. Sad times. i've gone to give blood but got rejected cause of low iron. Even though I'm poor my parents still have plenty of money so i make sure mum always gives to the red cross and the salvos, she also does community work for women that are having trouble looking after their babies.
Yesterday in the city i did see something that i didn't like, you know those SMILE stickers? A guy was trying to get sell some for charity. He was stopping people in their tracks and abusing them if they didn't give money, it didn't matter who they were, children, couriers and business people on their mobile phones, mothers with young children. It wasn't a nice sight.

<--- greenpeace / Wilderness Society / World Vision member.

Costs me about $100 bux a month. On top of that, I buy the Big Issue from Louie on Brunswick st whenever I can and drop loose change for beggars when I feel like I'm not getting ripped of.

I don't have a lot of control where the money goes for the 3 major charities, but I believe they need my support.

I also forgot to add that all my old clothes and furniture always gets donated to the Salvo's - have done for years :)

I really don't do anything or give any money to charity... :\

In high school I was part of a Smith Family support program which taught under-privileged kids to read. That was awesome and I've been thinking about getting back into that [but I bet I don't...]. I also did all the typical door knocks but once again I haven't done that for years.

Occasionally I'll give to people on the streets but not very often. Only if I think they're really genuine.

I want to give blood... I'm just trying to get up the courage! Last time a doctor gave me a needle he burst something and the underside of my arm under the skin filled with blood.

I really suck when it comes to charitable stuff. :(

I've been a poor student for the last oh forever, but I still have been making monthly donations to Greenpeace and Oxfam Community Aid Abroad. I also recently signed up with Amnesty International.

I dunno, even though I really couldn't afford it most of the time I still did it willingly :)

Also, I can never walk past the people collecting in Hyde park for Aids or children with Aids, without giving them all my change.

I guess it makes me feel better because I really can't afford to give my time to them but I can give them money :)

I want to donate blood but I get rejected. I'll have to check if I still don't meet the requirements however...

CB :)

I can't donate blood for various medical reasons, which relieves me somewhat since I hate needles. But respect to those who do.

I've donated monthly to Greenpeace and Wilderness Society through my credit card (easier) since I was a uni student and the research organisations that are special to me who I donate yearly to (a decent amount if I've managed to save the money) are the Wesley Breast Centre and the Cancer Society.

I can't say no to people asking for money on the street, I'm a real sucker for it. :( I'd say they see me coming a mile away.

I used to donate regularly to a few different charities...then was poor and couldn't afford it,and have since just been slack about getting back into it. :(

As a general rule I don't really give money to people on the street, not because of any kind of judgement on them, but just because well...how do you choose whether to give money to this person or that? It gets kind of depressing if you think about it too much...I'd rather donate to organisations just because more people benefit from it. There are times when I will give money to people who ask for it, it's just in general I don't.

I used to do tons of volunteer work for various organisations as well....haven't really gotten back into it since I moved to Sydney, but I'm wanting to...

And as a sidenote....if anyone DOES want to give to charities like Oxfam or Greenpeace or Amnesty or whatever, that's great--but do it directly through the charity, not the people they hire to sign people up in the street. Those agencies get a ridiculous amount of your money in some cases...

--Raz--