Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Stark Raving Mad - The Age - 15/03/2004

dirtyb_au

Bluelighter
Twelve people were taken to hospital after overdosing on the drug gamma hydroxybutyrate last week. Here, Mike, 26, gives an insider's view of GHB use in Melbourne's dance party scene. He told his story to Sushi Das.

I started experimenting with "G" with some friends and I've done it maybe 10 or 12 times. It's not advisable to drink alcohol with it because it will increase the drug's potency and make an overdose more likely. So it's just something you don't do if you're going to take G. It's really quite stupid.

The first time I did it, I was working in a bar and a friend of mine, who had had a previous experience with it, said: "We're going out tonight after we've finished work (which is about five or six in the morning) and then going clubbing. I've got some G — do you want to have some? But you can't drink all night." I said: "All right, cool." So we didn't drink all night and we had it at his house some time between 6 and 7am.

Then we sat around, smoked a joint and went out to a club in the morning. It was so funny walking into the club. It was like walking on marshmallows and very, er, not too pathetic, more emotion . . . I'm struggling for the right words. It took about half an hour to take effect. I'd been experimenting with other party drugs for quite some time, so I was not that alien to the concept of the drug taking control of my body.

I wasn't scared. I mean the times I've taken it, it's always with somebody who's taken it before, so they can look after me if something goes wrong. They will know if I start to get a bad reaction, or I start to freak out, and they'll say: "Don’t worry, it's OK, it happens; just relax and it'll go away." It's one thing to be putting things into your body when you don’t know what they do, but it's another thing to do it an irresponsible way, as paradoxical as it may seem.

G is a liquid — they put food colour in it. The one that we had the first time was blue. It can be all different colours. It depends on who makes it. When you do G you start to feel a little bit disoriented. Your thoughts tend to skip and become a bit disjointed. You'll be talking about something and then you'll stop and think, "what was I talking about?". You're a bit vague but you don't really notice it until you get up and start to walk around. You get a bit of a head rush from standing up, and as your blood flow increases your heart starts pumping and your body will go, "oh hello!". You'll stagger a little, maybe be a bit wobbly on your feet. It's not a bad feeling; it's kind of a funny feeling. There are no hallucinations.

With any kind of drug that gives you a sense of euphoria — ecstasy or GBH or cocaine — you become more amorous. You can find people really attractive, and then you wake up the next morning and go "oh!". It's like beer goggles times 10, because when you're doing these drugs that give you a euphoric feeling, you tend to be able to speak a lot more easily. Like if you didn't have a lot of confidence with girls or guys, people tend to (take G and) go like: "Let's go and talk to this person." They’re in a happy mood.

There's no crescendo. It's more that you start to not be feeling it as much as before. How you feel when you come down depends on what you've been doing. Like if you're going out and you take it before you go into the club, you'll probably dance. But people sit down and talk, just rabbit on about nothing to some guy they've never met before and you tell your life story. Or they get up and walk off and feel a bit lost after taking a drug like that. Lost, not in a bad way, but just aimlessly wandering, kind of "what next?".

Most drugs, like cocaine, are expensive but G's not. Sometimes it comes in a vial, other times it comes in one of those little plastic fish things which have soy sauce in them when you buy sushi. We paid about $35 a vial. A vial's about 3 millilitres. We'd do about 1.5 millilitres for the night but it depends on how much you were taking generally. You can have a little bit at a time. The 1.5 millilitres can last about two or three hours, depending on your body clock.

You drink it: generally you put something into it, some drink of some sort. You can put it in a shot glass. We did it in a syringe like an old doctor's syringe without a needle attachment on it. You can put it in a glass and then sip some water afterwards or whatever. It tastes fairly rancid. It's bitter, acrid, like chewing Panadol. Kind of eweh!

When people are on drugs like ecstasy and G they can be slightly verbose and they'll sometimes babble about it, but generally it's hard to see what people are on when you're out in a club. Generally with ecstasy their eyeballs are really dilated and they're chewing on a Chupa Chup or something.

Most people I know who experiment with drugs are pretty much out of it (the G scene). Like the going up is not really worth the coming down. On the whole, I don't think they have the time to spend three days in a nightclub. They get crabby, they get grouchy, mood swings; it's just not really a good thing to do anymore.

I think people go out, they take the drugs, they have a good night with their friends and the next time they go to go out they think, "well, that's nice, let's do it again". And then after a while they realise it's not the drugs, it's the people they're with.

Everything is easy to get hold of if you know a couple of connected people. If you know somebody who does pills or speed or something like that, generally if you talk to them, they will know some guy. And once you get to talk to that guy, that guy will know another guy. So it depends on how much contact you have with these people and how often you go to nightclubs.

The people who sell the drugs don't like to sell to people they don't know; obviously there's the dangers of undercover police but also they don't want to be dealing with people when they don't know how they're going to react. I was working in the nightclub industry and G was always around.

There's not a lot of things in my life I regret, but most likely I wouldn't do G again. Well, I mean I would if I was back with those friends and in a similar environment, which is not likely.

The last time I did G was about a year ago. I stopped taking it because I stopped associating with those people who were involved.

At the time when I was taking it, I wasn't 100 per cent sure what was in it. I'd been told by my friends what was in it, that was OK. I mean a lot of drugs I was taking I was fairly well educated on.

A lot of people don't know what they're doing. You get kids like the girl in Sydney who died of an overdose of ecstasy. They are not well-informed people — going out and doing things that are potentially dangerous without prior knowledge. If you're going to do it, do some research before, or get somebody who knows what they are talking about. That's my advice to people. I've met a few people who have been ill on it.

You feel a little blue coming down, not extremely. It's not so much the drug that you need to sleep off, it's the going out late and then staying up for hours and hours on end. I was working in a nightclub and then going out at six in the morning and coming home at two or three in the arvo the next day. Then you'll be going home after 48 hours when it starts to get dark. Like your body goes, "that's enough mate, no more", but more often than not, it's a bit of a mental deadness. Once you punch through the wall of tiredness, your body gets a second wind. But you never catch up on sleep you lose.

Towards the end of my partying career (laughs) I was feeling a little bit more remorse — more just my body going "what have you done to me? you're an idiot!". But no real remorse; it's not like when you wake up from a hangover and go "aargh! what did I do?".

Mike is not his real name. He is 26 years old and has a full-time job.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/03/14/1079199095971.html?from=top5

First decent article I've read since the GHB TT incident. Is "Mike" a bluelighter maybe?

Yeah, not a bad article, 'Mike' seems like one of the more informed drug users... I'd doubt he's a bluelighter though, or if he is, he hasn't read the GHB faq. I'd wager he'd been having 1,4b, not GHB. GHB is more salty/oily, not acrid or rancid. And while most people use 'G' as a blanket term for all forms of the drug, any discerning user would make the distinction clear.

That said, Mike still did seem much more educated than most, and that's the most important thing, making sure you know as much as possible, even if you don't have all the information, it's better than going in blind.

I agree, definitely a step in the right direction after some of the bullshit the Herald Sun printed.

excellent article, an unbiased article on drug use i didn't think i would ever see that.

I agree Tarsy - it sounds like 1,4-B to me too. :)

Not a bad article.

<off topic> i vaguely remember reading the coroner's report or something which suggested it wasn't e that killed her, but rather a combo of drugs, and overhydration? i'm sure a search will bring it up </off topic>

i can't believe such a frank story was published!

meh.

it's an okay article, but it still seems that this supposedly informed drug user wasn't actually all that informed. which is sad, because now -presumably- those people reading such a paper now think that even the educated drug users are still taking stupid risks and relying on their friends in case stuff goes wrong.

not that you shouldn't be able to rely on your friends - just that if you're going to do something dangerous, find out about it first. i guess he was telling the same message, really, but he obviously hadn't taken his own advice too much.

still, it's a big step up from the usual shite printed in these papers.

i just think its great that finally some honesty is being shown by the media. Its important that correct information is published

I remember earlier in the week one of the articles in one of the papers in melbourne (cant remember what paper) said that a standard dose of G was 4mil. I was apalled by the potential harm that could come of that article as 4mil is not very many peoples standard charge especially if they are getting good concentrate. I have a friend who charges on 3 but 4 is rediculous.

yep, that's probably my main problem too.

and the fact that the sun printed something (i'm paraphrasing :p) where they mentioned that it was "impossible to tell what goes into ghb"...right.

the problem, here, is that such a quote totally discourages hm - basically telling curious teenagers that if they take the drug it's just a total risk, when they could just as easily print something like the bluelight url (sure sure), and open people up to the opportunity to actually educate themselves.

the people that write that kinda of shit make me sick.

GHB is a pretty stupid substance. What more can I say. If I want to feel drunk or whacked, I'll have some weed and booze, GHB, no thanks.

Dirty_Deed said:
GHB is a pretty stupid substance. What more can I say. If I want to feel drunk or whacked, I'll have some weed and booze, GHB, no thanks.
What more could you say? How about why you consider GHB to be 'stupid'? Considering that at the correct dose, 1,4b could be (and is by many users) likened to alcohol, except more euphoric, hangover free, and less stressful on the liver (as long as it's GHB and not 1,4b). It's also less likely to induce violent behaviour. And real GHB is even better.

Aside from all that, no substance is ever 'stupid', or 'evil', as many drugs are labelled. As others have said, it's what people do with the drugs that is stupid...

The mention of standard doses made me think... Consider that a standard drink is 10g of pure alcohol (I'm not sure how accurate this is, hopefully the QLD government have done their research better than I have ;)). In spirits, that's diluted to 30ml, in beer it's approx 285ml.

If someone were to take pure alcohol in liquid form without diluting it, they'd have approx. 10-15ml of liquid (feel free to do the math if you want a more accurate measurement). While that's considerably more than a standard dose of pure GHB, at that concentration it would be quite easy to drink too much, as it is with the standard 1:8 concentration of 1,4b I and my friends are used to. Experience and caution means that it's rarely a problem for us, and if it does become a problem, it's only ever a minor one, because the extra 1,4b would only be enough to nudge the user into sleep, without risking any more adverse effects (and if anyone does g out, there's enough people around who'll be able to watch over the unconscious one, and slap them around when they wake up).

But alcohol is not available in that concentration, so it's not an issue. People are quite aware of the fact that they're drinking too much (though most choose to pretend ignorance).

The bottom line is; G isn't stupid, but selling or using G in a concentrated form is. It's easy enough to screw up at lower concentrations, and in it's most concentrated form, I'm surprised that there aren't more people g-ing out...

Okay, I'll apologise it aint stupid, just a waste of money. Alcohol has never given me a hangover in my life, has never caused me to be violent (except for beer and wine which makes me go feral) and with a nice pure sativa like haze or durban poison can be just as euphoric if not more than GHB. I'll stick to the old favourites. As for ghb users, go waste your cash. :D

There was a line in Anna wood's coroners report that said the only drug they found in her urine was MDMA, atleast her pills were clean.

Am I reading the article correctly to interpret that he paid $35 for 3 mls or has it been too long since I last studied math and I cant do correct measurements.
otherwise, dude?!

Dirty_Deed said:
Okay, I'll apologise it aint stupid, just a waste of money. Alcohol has never given me a hangover in my life, has never caused me to be violent (except for beer and wine which makes me go feral) and with a nice pure sativa like haze or durban poison can be just as euphoric if not more than GHB. I'll stick to the old favourites. As for ghb users, go waste your cash. :D

It's cheaper than alcohol, dude 8)