• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Pill cooks' deadly recipes (14/3/04)

haste

Bluelight Crew
Pill cooks' deadly recipes

14mar04

REVELLERS are swallowing toxic chemical cocktails containing lethal drugs, caffeine, hayfever medicine and even flour, forensic tests reveal.

Scientific analysis of tablets sold as ecstasy show that more than half the pills seized in Victoria last year contained little or no MDMA - the main chemical in genuine ecstasy tablets.

Pill cooks replaced MDMA with dangerous, unmeasured quantities of other knock-out chemicals found in epilepsy medication, cold and flu tablets and hayfever relievers.

After 10 people overdosed on GHB at the Two Tribes rave last week, the Sunday Herald Sun began an investigation into drug use among rave party-goers. Among the findings were:

REGULAR ecstasy users are snorting the drug Special K, a veterinary anaesthetic, because they no longer get the same effects from "E".

ONE QUARTER of ecstasy users admit they do not know what is in the drugs they are taking.

MOST tablets are cooked in grimy backyard laboratories, even though dealers boast they originate from international party destinations.

BODY-BUILDERS are using GHB to knock themselves out under the mistaken belief that the body releases muscle-building chemicals while comatose.

Paramedics say ecstasy is now the drug of choice among rave-goers, but GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate) is more harmful because of its unpredictable and extreme effects.

Metropolitan Ambulance Service paramedic Alan Eade said GHB users were risking their lives.

Last year, a staggering 180 people sought emergency treatment at Melbourne's St Vincent's Hospital after taking so-called party drugs, with GHB involved in one third of the cases. The majority, 42 per cent, were linked to ecstasy.

Outreach group Enlighten is concerned that a potentially deadly substance used in perfumes is being substituted for MDMA ingredients.

"It's highly toxic and if a mass batch goes out, people will start dropping - there is no doubt about it," a spokesman said.

The drug PMA, paramethoxy amphetamine, has the same euphoric effects as MDMA but is stronger and more toxic and has caused deaths in South Australia.

Of the tablets described as ecstasy and analysed in the Victoria Police laboratory last year, only 47 per cent contained MDMA as the main ingredient.

In 13 per cent, methylamphetamines were the main drug, 38 per cent had ketamine as the main component and 2 per cent contained either no drugs or minor drugs such as caffeine.

Forensic Services drug branch manager Cate Quinn said it was impossible for users to know what they were getting.

Victoria Police drug and alcohol unit manager Inspector Steve James urged Victorians to expose drug manufacturers by looking for signs of clandestine laboratories such as unusual odours, caravans on the premises or discarded chemical containers.

Link

Outreach group Enlighten is concerned that a potentially deadly substance used in perfumes is being substituted for MDMA ingredients.

I am not suprised this was misquoted. I was referring to anethole having industry use as essential oils, not as the drug itself. It is obviously PMA that is potentially deadly, not the precursors.

Last edited:
*sigh* but really i couldn't give a fuck what the hearld scum puts in their satan loving garb of a newspaper anymore. People can take it how they wish. Those who take this for what they've written don't agree with drug use anyway.

haste said:
ONE QUARTER of ecstasy users admit they do not know what is in the drugs they are taking.

I wouldn't mind knowing where they got this statistic from... It seems like something that's very difficult to gauge.

^^ and I personally think it is a little low, my guess would be much higher.

I am not suprised this was misquoted. I was referring to the precursors having industry use with perfumes, not the drugs themselves. It is obviously PMA that is potentially deadly, not the precursors.

I'm not surprised either Cowboy Mac after reading the rest of the article. I wonder if you'd mentioned anethole in toothpaste whether they would have also classed that as a drug 8)

Victoria Police drug and alcohol unit manager Inspector Steve James urged Victorians to expose drug manufacturers by looking for signs of clandestine laboratories such as unusual odours, caravans on the premises or discarded chemical containers.

Regarding odours; I have 2 comments here. Firstly, if the correct route is used - involving OTC chemicals completely, then there should be very little "chemical" type smells produced. The peracetic oxidation process is noted to be virtually odourless in the "chemical" sense, with the only noticeable odours likely to be the products, and both Anethole (PMA) and safrole (MDMA etc) would produce similar smelling compounds to the starting compound along the way.

My second point then leads from the first; How does a neighbor or passerby identify - or should I say distinguish - these smells from other odours present. A perfumery, an essential oils distributor (lots of those work from home) or even someone doing massage from home, are all usually distinguishable by the continuously emanating background odours which come from regularly using the oils.

Any such residence, factory or even a retail outlet would produce a mixture of smells that would very likely "hide" emanations from an MDMA production plant. It would be all but impossible to distinguish a whiff of a specific ketone amongst the myriad of smells normally in the air, many of which may be ketones themselves.

Remember we are not talking about speed here; reducing pseudo in a mixture of foul smelling chemicals which produce even more foul smelling and noticeably chemical smells. I believe, that unless all these professions and more are placed under the watchful eye of the regulators, it will prove all but impossible to catch crooks working in this area.

On the containers issue. What makes them think that wastes aren't simply poured down the sink, drain, or emptied in the bush? Empty containers would be easy to dispose of IMO and I'm sure many are probably left with the waste, which could well include high levels of mercury. And waste there is. I'd hate to think how many hundreds of liters of waste would be produced with a 1-2kg run. That definitely has to go somewhere. My bet is that while it may become difficult to dispose of waste, most operators would currently find this easy, even if it was somewhat inconvenient.

MOST tablets are cooked in grimy backyard laboratories, even though dealers boast they originate from international party destinations.

One thing they did get almost right IMO, is that much MDMA is produced in backyard labs. But the real question should be just how sophisticated are some of the bigger backyard labs? I've never seen inside an illegal lab (and wouldn't want to either!!) but I did once see one involved with bio-diesel research. The guys running the lab were straight as, but not having a lot of money when first experimenting with used cooking oil and sugar cane waste, they bought second hand gear to enable production of various esters and other molecules from different waste sources. This lab was fully equipped, with a fume cupboard, drying oven and just about anything found in a Uni chem lab.

So to say every backyard lab is poorly equipped is being far too assuming IMO. Second hand, and dumped lab gear is no doubt widely available to those living in the city, or who know a stock control manager somewhere in the business. When you think about how often this equipment is replaced or updated it is perhaps not so surprising.

If an operation was big, around a pilot plant size - say producing 1-2kg per run - then I would imagine that it would be well set up. The profits from the first run would see to that. Why? Because of efficiency. Equipment hastens the processes, gives higher yields, and most importantly, frees up the operators' time. continuous runs would even be possible.

As I've said many times before, more smaller operators will be sure to pop up as import seizures increase. The authorities are well aware of this, with forward planning aiming to reduce markedly any chemicals diverted from legal suppliers or sources. This is happening now worldwide. Check out this section from the DEA

The President's 2005 budget requests $138 million for diversion control programs. The National Drug Control Strategy seeks to reduce illegal drug use by 10 percent in two years and by 25 percent in five years....

So, eventually it is thought, supplies of precursors will dry up and anyone making a purchase will be checked out. Companies ordering these chemicals for regular work are to become saturated in paper work, and will receive occasional checks from investigators. It may seem an impossible task, but all efforts are being made to squash small time operators as well as prevent transport of product from bigger organisations.

Three things are certain to come of this.

• Quality of tablets will be more varied and questionable in the future, with users being the ones who ultimately suffer. [the ultimate scare tactic?]
  • Social and demographics studies will be less reliable, as the substances consumed will not be as accurately classifiable as they are as present.
  • Emergency personnel will be faced with previously unseen reactions, making diagnosis and treatment more difficult.

Which brings the whole argument back around. Just who's interest are such laws designed to protect? It certainly seems the public's wellbeing does not receive a high priority.

As for Cate Quinns comments; well the good scientists working in forensics, on coal face of reagent / antigen discovery hope to change all that in the near future, and GC/MS has come way down in price ;)

Last edited:
haste said:
Pill cooks' deadly recipes

Forensic Services drug branch manager Cate Quinn said it was impossible for users to know what they were getting.

I guess they overlooked the fact that a lot of partyers take some responsibility and actually purchase and use testing kits to test their pills. Probably wouldn't fit in with the picture they're trying to paint of the average drug user. You would think they if they were actually researching the party/drug scene as they say this would come up.

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but is it actually possible to take small amounts of PMA without causing yourself any harm, and have a nice roll? Im not going to do this, just asking out of interest.

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but is it actually possible to take small amounts of PMA without causing yourself any harm, and have a nice roll? Im not going to do this, just asking out of interest.

Well as far as the description of effects goes, it is reported that a medium dose of PMA, in comparison to the same dose of MDMA, produces little if any noticeable change in perception. A quite large amount say over 150mg may be required to feel it's effects. However, the threshold dose for psycho-stimulant activity is also very close to the toxicity threshold, making the window dosage for safe use very small indeed. Add the fact that different people react to drugs at different levels, and it only offers a recipe for disaster.

Read IanHard's Story; about a BL'er who admitted he fancied PMA over other drugs.

cientific analysis of tablets sold as ecstasy show that more than half the pills seized in Victoria last year contained little or no MDMA - the main chemical in genuine ecstasy tablets.

Good to see the constabulary are picking up more crap than good pills, can only be a good thing! :D