Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

the american elections: do you care?

onetwothreefour

Bluelight Crew
well, the american elections are coming up on november 22 (all the pre-election campaigning, primary elections -just finished-, fundraising etc. is happening atm), and i'm wondering how much interest you're all taking in it.

i don't know as much as i would like about what's going on, but from what i've read, wesley clark definitely seemed to be the best man for the job, imo - unfortunately, he wasn't doing so well in his bid to be elected as the democratic leader, and dropped out a few weeks back. howard dean also looked pretty good, but did some serious damage in that 'big angry speech' that he gave - you probably saw it on the news. personally, i don't really see how being passionate about your position and views (especially in something so important) can be deemed a bad thing, but those americans are a strange bunch, i guess ;)

anyway, we're left with kerry against bush now. due to the massive workload that uni's heaped on me, i haven't read much over the last couple of weeks, but from the general lurking i do on bluelight, usenet and other forums, i do get the impression that kerry's pretty popular, and might have got a good chance of beating bush. and if there's one thing that's clear in this election, it's that bush needs to be gotten rid of.

are you paying attention to these elections? obviously it's not our government that's being elected here, but whether we like it or not, america is probably the most powerful country in the world - anyone who can so blatantly flaunt the laws of the u.n. is someone who must -somehow- be kept in line in any ways possible. and thus it seems that the only way to do so is to elect someone who might have some ideas of where the world is actually headed, and realise that being responsible for such a massive world power actually has some obligation to the rest of the world.

basically, it would be nice to get someone a little less self-interested (not to mention less bigoted, stupid, close-minded and militarily-motivated) into the position, and perhaps then the world will begin to improve. ya know, "it won't happen overnight, but it will happen" and all that.

so what do you think?

Last edited:
maybe i should take interest.
but i just get too angry thinking about america.

its just another great empire waiting to fall, and all i can do is wait.

yeh fuck america.

bush is bad but i'm not convinced kerry will be any better from our point of view. i guess a president is just a puppet for his administration/dirty rich cunts. i'm wasted as so this is all bullshit... but in general terms i agree with the above post.

democracy my arse.

us and america need a proper two party system.

or an ACTUAL multi-party system.

wasted fool out

I haven't been following it at all heh. I think I am interested, but I tend not to care much beyond ousting bush. America will still be fucked up no matter who runs it. Leadership changes do have the potential to stop this war mongering, but its corporate america (happy to avoid the lime-light in this current political climate) that poses as much a threat to the world. In unrelated matters, the sooner Arnie becomes president the better ;)

572.jpg

arnie = bad. another stupid conservative republican. though i know you were being facetious, so it's okay ;)

reminds me of an interview i read - with george michael - that i read the other day. apparently after he came out in the early '90s (or around then...whenever), he received a phone call from maria shriver (arnie's wife), whereupon she informed him that she was calling to offer him the chance to ask for forgiveness.

it's this kind of backwards, bigoted, and egotistical "i'm right and you're wrong" attitude which epitomises everything that is fucked up with right-wing america. of course not all the right-wing is so conservative, and even those which are might not espouse the same views, but when the governor of one of the biggest states (well his wife, but afaik he holds the same views) along with the president can be such blatant cunts, you really have to wonder about their country... :(

its no wonder

pffffft.
was discussing this the other day with some ppl...their "politics" (for want of a better word - i cant think of it right now)...the way they act is how the white settlers did 200 years ago when they arrived in aus. "do it our way, or else...you'll thank us later". there is no bargaining with america.

but thats off topic.

whoever ends up running the USA will only be a puppet. Bush himself could only spout one liners (a la Arnie 8( )"god bless america" "the axis of evil" "we got him" etc.

someday america will just corrode in on itself, a nation so full of fear, it has to happen.

^^ Some good points guys. I'm not taking an interest in the election but I don't see Bush losing anytime soon. I can't really justify why exactly, but I feel that because he was able to manipulate a win (apparently) in the 2000 elections -- what is stopping him from doing a similar thing this time around?

should this not be in politics and news?

everything else gets moved around here :)

Go John Kerry!

American elections seriously have more excitement and biffo than a Mundine fight night down at the pub.

A John Kerry + Mark Latham win this year will hopefully signal a death knell to this brand of almost fundamentalist ultra-conservatism that has pervaded the governments of the two countries that matter the most to all of us.

As long as Ralph Nader doesn't act as a spoiler again I think Kerry is in with a really great shot. Nader is running as an independent this time so doesn't have the backing of the Green Party... hopefully he won't reduce the liberal vote count for the Democrats too much.

Normally I wouldn't be too fussed but with our own little fuck following everything the americans do, I am hoping Kerry wins - not as much as I am hoping little johnnie loses, but hoping none-the-less.

Originally posted by doofqueen
should this not be in politics and news?

everything else gets moved around here :)

i think i've only seen two or three things moved in as many weeks...possibly less. "everything"?

and no, it shouldn't. the content is very obviously australian-specific.

so the politics forum doesn't include australian news then? ok sorry i wasn't aware of that :)

i know i probly should care, seeing as how we will follow the US in whatever they do, due to little johnnies severe case of brown-nosing, however i just cant find the interest, especially in the face of more fun things that are available to read on

I wish I could add to the this thread but in actual fact I don't care much for them myself - not sure if thats a bad thing or a good thing?

I'm backing Kerry all the way. Only because he's not Bush.

Bush is the Britney Spears of the political world.

I'm not so much concerned with Bush going, as the republicans going. In a perfect (however realistic) world, Howard would go, Bush would go, and we can get on with what matters in this world, such as public health care and education, not going to war against "ideas" ie: terrorism, drugs etc...

as soon as rummy, cheney and the biggest disgrace to black people in the world, Condoleezza Rice go, the sooner we can get on with the things more relevant to us.

pssht to national security. Can't we all be friends ;)

*waits for flames*

You know, I want to care, but I mean shit, the electrol pull just can't pull hard enough, it's one big puppeteers dream and both puppet A and puppet B, suck like a whore on coke hope. But hey, thats apathy for you.

Why do we care at all? This kinda covers it;
(substitute UK for Australian, and there you are.)
"the British media gives extensive coverage to the US presidential elections because unfortunately the eventual winner is also president of the UK. It's called a Special Relationship." Chris Barnett, Tokyo, in a letter to The Guardian.

Pity we can't vote.

Last edited:
I'm making an effort to at least care. Edwards was the man I was looking at a couple of weeks ago. A great and yet almost unkown speaker, almost in the Clinton mould. I was hoping that he'd get up because he could win votes without having to denegrate into negative anti-bush rhetoric. As much as I am anti-bush, I really admire that in a politician.

Doesn't matter who wins / loses... it's not like the President makes many decisions, just a figure head.