Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Cannabis clinic weeds four out of five off drug: Carr

haste

Bluelight Crew
Cannabis clinic weeds four out of five off drug: Carr

March 10, 2004 - 5:21PM

Eighty-five per cent of participants at NSW's first cannabis treatment clinic have not used marijuana since the centre opened three months ago, the state government said today.

NSW Premier Bob Carr told state parliament today an additional clinic was due to open on the central coast by September, with plans for further clinics in southern Sydney and the state's central west.

NSW's first cannabis treatment clinic was set up in Parramatta in December last year under the government's $230 million four year Plan of Action on drugs.

"The idea that cannabis is a benign drug is being steadily whittled away by an accumulation of medical evidence," Mr Carr told parliament.

At the Parramatta clinic, 36 people under the age of 25 have been referred to the program, with a further 40 older participants involved.

"The average participant is male, has been using cannabis for 12 years and smoked 20 cannabis cigarettes a day prior to entering the program," Mr Carr said.

"So far 85 per cent of participants have achieved abstinence and the remainder have significantly reduced their cannabis consumption."

According to the 1997 National Survey of Health and Well Being, more than two per cent of Australian adults were cannabis dependent, Mr Carr told parliament.

Link

haste said:
At the Parramatta clinic, 36 people under the age of 25 have been referred to the program, with a further 40 older participants involved. Link

I'd like to know the nature of the 'referral' - were they told to go there by a court, or did they volunteer because they wanted to kick their habbit?

Well "referral" would suggest something stemming from a session with a doctor and/or therapist - courts like to call their "referrals" orders ;)

But I see your point, the article is vague..

Good point hastey :)

It is vague, and vagueness in anything quasi-political as an election draws closer is suspect... But I reakon you're on the mark.

"So far 85 per cent of participants have achieved abstinence and the remainder have significantly reduced their cannabis consumption."
I wonder what the ratio would be among people who just get sick of smoking and stop, or reduce their intake because they reach a busy period in their life and understand their priorities without having to go to a clinic.

BigTrancer :)