Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

The Theater Experience. What annoys you?

BA

Bluelight Crew
  • Babies/Children. I understand crying is what babies do, but parents need to know when it's time to haul their loud mouth child outside, or simply go home.
  • Constant coughers. If you're that damn sick, stay home. People who cough or clear their throat every 20 seconds drive me insane.
  • Price of tickets. Fuckin eh, when did theatres start charging $7.50+ for 1 ticket!? It's no wonder movies bring in millions of dollars on opening days! 8) It's completely understandable when you're charging such outrageous prices like this!!
  • Cell phones Self explanatory.
  • People who bring their own food. I'm sorry, but going to a movie is not a B.Y.O.F event. Leave your damn sunflower seeds and Pringles at home. Pay the same price for snacks as everyone else does.

What am I missing? :X

Last edited:
The people that laugh TOO FUCKING LOUD.

The assholes that insist on talking in their outside voices during the tense or dramatic part of the movie.

The little kid that sits behind you and continues to kick the back of your seat, even when you politely ask his parent to control their children.

Nose whistlers, children/babies, cell phones, and question askers.

what on earth is a nose whistler?

You know, the guy who breathes through his nose the whole movie making a horrible whisteling noise.

I'll pay 50 cents for my thing of candy that I want before I'm going to pay 4.50 for a box of candy that's ridiculously small, and not even what i want. :p

as for the cell phones, i hate when ppl text msg in theaters, or constantly open their bright as a flashlight cell phone brightening up seats around them. its so annoying

I HATE when people bring in snacks like Crisps/Chips and they are too loud in opening the packet, I can't get focus on the film when somebody is making a racket with the packet (that rhymes ;)) I don't mind people eating snacks in the cinema, I just hate it when all you can hear is the scrunching of the packet, and sometimes you have more than one person doing it.

I like to hit up wendy's or the like and smuggle a few triple decker burgersin my pockets. Fried chicken is good too. ;)

Why is it bad to bring your own food? I'm already paying an assload for my ticket, I'll be damned if I will shell out even more for their stale overpriced processed food.

I hate tall people. People over 5'10" sit in special seats dammit.

Over-crowded cinemas. I hate being squashed in next to a group of strangers, especially during an epic 3 hr film.

I run a movie theater... a very big one. I deal with each and every one of the above concerns on a daily basis.

1. Ticket Prices - The blame for the high prices lies squarly on the shoulders of the movie studios. They demand such a huge percentage of the box office that movie theaters themselves make very little money. For example: Star Wars Ep. I. The studio demanded about 85% of the total box office revenues, leaving a measly 15% for the theaters. In order for a theater to break even with that small a percentage, it needs to raise the initial price.

Let me put it this way. As long as there are thousands of people who are willing to spend the money to see multi-million dollar movies like Titanic, Spider-Man or Waterworld, ticket prices will continue to rise.

2. Concession Prices - This is a direct result of the issue discussed above. Since movie theaters make next to no money on the actual movies themselves, they depend on the concession stands to turn a profit. Factor in to this equation the people that bypass the stand because they sneak in their own food and you have pricey popcorn. What really gets me is how angry people get about paying $3.00 for a hot dog or $3.75 for a large drink at a movie theater, yet no one bitches about having to pay TWICE that amount at places like amusment parks, ball games and large concert venues. Trust me, I have done my research. For a night's entertainment, the movie theater is a much less expensive alternative to a ball game or concert. You know, my theater is in a pretty nice city. There are a lot of pretty wealthy people in the surrounding neighborhoods. These people who pay for tickets and popcorn off of wads of 20's & 50's thick enough to choke a horse are the ones who complain the most. Meanwhile we'll get the occasional family who is obviously in a lower class, father, mother and five kids... these are almost always our best customers. They will buy their kids anything they want and never say a word about paying upwards of $50 for their night out. Nine times out of ten I will give these kinds of people a free popcorn or drink just because they are such good customers.

3. SNEAKING IN FOOD - See above. It is pretty much the same thing as stealing from the theater. You are causing the theater to lose money. Justify it however you like, it is just plain wrong.

4. Crying babies, cell phones, loud talkers, obnoxious kids etc -
The first thing you must all realize: The theater dislikes these people as much as the patrons. If we realize these people are behaving in a disruptive fashion, we will do what we need to do to take care of the problem. BUT, in order for us to do this effectivly, we must be NOTIFIED of the disruption. It does no good to sit and stew over the loudmouth behind you for the entire movie, only to bitch out the theater staff after the feature is over. If you are upset with having to get up and miss part of your movie in order to let someone know, TELL THEM. I am always more willing to give someone rainchecks or free tickets if they tell me DURING the disturbance rather than after, when I can't do a damn thing.

5. Overcrowded Theaters - I said above that I run a big theater. I do mean big. 15 screens, just short of 3000 seats in the entire building. It is by no means my fault that a movie sells out. If you have to sit next to a stranger, suck it up and sit next to a stranger. Otherwise, shut the fuck up. If you REALLY don't like crowds, come during a weekday when we only get 150 - 300 customers a day as opposed to a Friday or Saturday when we do 2500 - 3000 people. Don't like having to sit in the front row? Show up a little early like all the other people who got to pick better seats. Don't yell at ME when you show up at a movie that is halfway through the previews and you are forced to sit in the front row, if you were even lucky enough to GET a ticket.

TO SUM UP - If you have a problem at the movie theater, ANY problem, let an usher, a concessionist or a manager know in a REASONABLE fashion. Chances are we will do whatever it takes to make sure you walk out happy, or at least not pissed off. I spend a majority of my day dealing with those exact situations. A great deal of the time those situations end up with me giving out rainchecks so the customer can come back and enjoy a movie on us. I am much more inclined to give out rainchecks if the customer is not yelling in my face. The key word here is REASONABLE.

Anything else I can help you with?

Adios,
Steve

Sneaking in food is not stealing from the theater, it's sneaking in food. I'll go hungry before I buy expensive food from the theater. Either way, you're not getting my money. But if I sneak in food, at least I don't go hungry during my movie. :p

3. SNEAKING IN FOOD - See above. It is pretty much the same thing as stealing from the theater. You are causing the theater to lose money. Justify it however you like, it is just plain wrong

Steve,

Paying $4.50 for a bag of candy that costs $1.79 at the gass station on the way to the movie is stupid. I could wipe my ass with that extra money. Oh yeah and 9/10 times I have never gotten anything free at the movie theater. I'm not to sure I understand your "well amusment parks, ball games and large concert venues costs more" so its ok to charge $3.00 for a hot dog when it costs us 50 cents + 10 cents in condiments (sorry if my pricing is a little off, lets say a $1 to be safe, 300% mark up, most drugs don't even go up like that)

Now I have a question for you, what would you do if someone came dressed as the devil and was trying to buy a ticket to "The Passion the of the Christ." And if someone dressed as Jesus?

Lingo, do you think it's ethical to sneek in food that isn't available in the theater? I'd always chuckle when i find an empty six pack of milwakee's best and some wendey's wrappers when I would clean a theater.

As for customers who give employees shit for high prices: shut the fuck up. You're speaking to a person who makes near minimum wage because they wanted to work at a movie theater. Concession is a greasy, nasty job. On top of it, It made me not want to see a movie ever again (good thing it wore off when I quit).

Dr. Funkenstien said:
Steve,

Paying $4.50 for a bag of candy that costs $1.79 at the gass station on the way to the movie is stupid. I could wipe my ass with that extra money. I'm not to sure I understand your "well amusment parks, ball games and large concert venues costs more" so its ok to charge $3.00 for a hot dog when it costs us 50 cents + 10 cents in condiments (sorry if my pricing is a little off, lets say a $1 to be safe, 300% mark up, most drugs don't even go up like that)

Okay, lemme put it this way. The Passion took in around seven or eight thousand dollars gross at my theater in it's first weekend. Of that money, my theater walks away with a small fraction that barely covers the cost of opening our doors. In order to make a profit, it is essential that we sell a certain amount of concession items. That is why I will not hesitate to confiscate any and all outside food or beverage I see come into my theater.

Oh yeah and 9/10 times I have never gotten anything free at the movie theater.

Chances are that you had no claim to anything free. [edited ad-hom]

Either that or you are going to a really lame theater like a Regal Cinema or a Magic Johnson where the staff really doesn't care.

Now I have a question for you, what would you do if someone came dressed as the devil and was trying to buy a ticket to "The Passion the of the Christ." And if someone dressed as Jesus?

We get plenty of people in costume. I have no problem with it. However, as soon as ANYONE, costume or not, causes a disturbance or disrupts the movie I will promptly remove that person from the property.

Hell, this weekend we had a guy in a chicken suit with a sign that said "free hugs" trying to hug other customers. When he refused to leave other customers alone, we had him removed from the property. I am all for a good joke, but the thousands of PAYING CUSTOMERS who come into the theater may not be. End of story. Don't like it? I'll be more than happy to introduce you to the armed security guard.

Adios,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
atlas said:
As for customers who give employees shit for high prices: shut the fuck up.

i agree - i'm in that position now in a ski resort and people shout all the time. sometimes they are downright impolite and nasty. i feel for them but there really is fuck all i can do about it. i don't get paid nearly enough to be shouted at because of something which is out of my control.

on the subject of overpriced food, i can't decide. it's obviously the movie theatre's right to forbid me to bring outside food into their establishment but it's not my fault the business is so warped to the point that a movie theatre isn't making any money from the movies.

perhaps it's a perception issue - to me it just sounds a bit rich charging $9 to see a movie plus $4 for candy and $3 for a soda and then crying "we're poor".

as with everything it should be a question of value not cost. the movie going experience - in general - in the US to me is, well, not particularly good value for money. in particular here, the theatres here seem very uncomfrtable.

that said, i love movies and i choose to pay it - that's a choice i make freely.

when i left london in 1993, it was about 9ukp to see a movie which was, i guess, about $13-$14 11 years ago!

i never minded paying it because the big theatres in london, to me, represented excellent value for money: huge clear screens; amazingly confortable seats with an excellent view (as if somebody had actually put some thought into the design of the theatre) and epic, bone-crunching sound systems.

alasdair

I appologize for anything insulting I might have put in at 4 in the morn. I can't remember what it was, so I'm sorry. I did PM Lingo. sorry for the inconvience

Last edited:
what was the opinion on bringing in food that the theater doesn't carry? i dont quite follow..

like for example, i prefer hot tamales, and the closest thing to that(for my tastebuds) at the theaters here is Sour Patch Kids. Those hurt my sensitive teeth cuz of the sugar. So, *sometimes* I bring in some hot tamales.

is that wrong? lol

I'm also freaked out by the "pre-popped" popcorn, which I recently learned about.. but i dont bring in my own! :)

and, i don't do it all the time ;) i generally do eat the sour patch kids and suffer.

Originally posted by fairnymph
I hate tall people. People over 5'10" sit in special seats dammit.

i'm 6'7" :(

um, anyway. i don't really hate anything about the movies, except for when you see a shitty movie and people laugh/cheer all the way through it. but that's not even a real complaint - it just means i'm a snob :)

and ba, no *way* am i gonna pay full price for shitty theatre food - i always bring stuff from home (student = no cash) :(

atlas said:
I'd always chuckle when i find an empty six pack of milwakee's best and some wendey's wrappers when I would clean a theater.

That's downright hilarious! :D