Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug Education and HM in Health Education

beech

Bluelighter
Hey people just asking for some help here with regard to some research. I am writting a research paper in regard to drug education in Health Education (Health and Human Development in Vic) secondary schools. The paper will most likely look at issues relating to the history of drug education in schools, the mothods in which it has been taught, the most effective way for it to be taught. Obviously most people here will feel that Harm Minimisation is the most effective way, providing unbiased information so that students can make an informed decision.
I welcome any personal opinions but would also appreciate if anyone knows of or has any links to journal articles that may in some manner relate to drug education and its effectiveness. As in have any studies been conducted that measure amount/form of education V drug use/abuse.
The paper is still in quite preliminary stages and I am still conducting preliminary research. The goal of my research paper is that I will produce something that can be used as a resource/information kit in secondary schools to provide educators with information, options and starting points for drug education.

Any thoughts, links, journals, references would be greatly appreciated as I've found this is a largely uncovered area.

Beech out

Hey Beech

RaveSafe Vic currently undertake harm reduction drug education in Victorian schools with so far very positive feedback from both students and teachers.

I am happy for you to contact me if you wish to dicuss further.

[email protected]

I recommend that you get your hands on a copy of the Evaluation of 'Life Education Victoria'. You could contact the Centre for Health Program Evaluation on 9496 4433 to find out where you could get a copy from.

The reason I suggest this report is because life ed has been providing drug education in Victoria for many years and the results are very interesting in demonstrating how 'successul' their model of education has been.

'The study involved 86 schools and their year 6 students from the melbourne metro area. The evaluation found that while the program conforms to most of the published Australian and Victorian principles and cirriculum advice avaialble, it has its origins in the knowledge/attitude and values/decision-making drug ed models of the late 70's. While evaluations of these types of programs have shown significant knowledge gains, they have also failed to show significant reductions in drug use.'

I really don't think drug use can be reduced but i'm sure the people that have had this education show less drug related harm. Two thumbs up i say to all HM groups

Hey everyone at what age/year level do people think drug education through harm minimisation should take place in schools? For example are 14-15 year olds in Year 9 mature enough to make a responsible decision when presented with unbiased facts. Should drug education take place at an earlier age so that students have a working knowledge of drugs at an earlier age so that when a situation related to drugs presents itself the students already have the knowledge to make an informed decision. Its questions such as this that are regularly possed by those who oppose HM approaches. Is a combination of HM plus a hint of the message of 'drugs are bad' an appropriate approach? A suggestiong would be the usual HM education coupled with something like a visit to Odessy House or rehab clinic to show possible effects of drug use.
I'm sure these are questions that have been discussed before but through the structure of the research paper that I am writting I am able to use personal experience and refer to the general consensus of various population groups. Obviously it would be a shallow piece of research if I based it all around the views and opinions of those on a forum such as this (no disrespect meant but research has to be based on something a little more substantial too). However information gathered from here does give me a good base and starting point.

Thanx RaveSafeVic I'll definately be in touch with you to get some information and for bit of a chat.
On another note RaveSafe can you shed any light on why Ravesafe isn't attending a certain event in Melbourne this Sunday? Why wouldn't the organisers want you guys in attendance?

Beech out

Hey I'm a youngen (16) doing my final year of secondary school. At my school, which is a private catholic school, we have had verry little to no drug education.
Last year a boy in a grade above me died as a result of drug abuse. The school was aware of the problem months before his death. Students had expressed their concern for fellow peers to the principal and all the school did was inform the students parents of the issue.
In the last few days peers have talked to the principal informing him of the people taking ecstasy within the school. So now the school is comming down hard on us users. I'm not saying they shouldn't, and I understand where the school is comming from after last year.
Yet after all this the school still has not educated us on such toppics.

Unfortunately the private system tends to do its own thing when it comes to drug and sex education which is a worry since more and more people are turning to the private system to educate their kids. Anyway in South Australia there are teams of teachers, parents and students working in the "Drug Strategy Projects". I am in one of the drug strategy teams and having attended one session so far it is interesting to come across many adults whose knowledge of drugs, drug culture is only fuelled by what they see in the media. Being a social user E, speed, cannibas, and a few other things during my life time I am hoping my contributions will be worthwhile ( without letting on what I do in my personal life). Unfortunately there is an" image "out there that if you you any drugs then you are an addict.
"Drug education" actually starts in the very early years of primary school. "WHAT" I hear you say. But think about it a drug is any substance that when put into the body changes the way the body/mind works. At Primary school the kids look the legal drugs available, ie,caffienne, high energy drinks, tobacco, guarranna drinks and choc bars, over the counter drugs and other prescription drugs that they be familiar with ie, asthma medications. There are lots of facets to these programs but as the child moves through their primary years the concepts/knowledge is developed further. At the moment the kids study the effects of tobacco and alcohol at years 6/7 but recent studies show that education should begin two years earlier. The reason being that you need to educate approx 2yrs before experimentation. Anyway without going into too much depth, there is education going on in public schools and it is continually being up dated and revised as they need to "keep up with the times" so to speak. I'd be happy to talk further about what I and others do in our classsrooms if people are interested.

Nuds,
Any thoughts and information you have on the topic would be greatly appreciated. If you could PM me with some info it would be appreciated. Or you can email me at [email protected]

Regards

Beech out