• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Has anyone tried the notorious "shroom shakes" of Bali?

depth and soul

Bluelighter
EDIT: Don't feel the need to reply, I have found all the information I need. But if you have any opinions, information, or advice, please share!

Anyways, I am going to Bali this Spring Break. I have not been there in 6 years, so i'm highly anticipating it. Here at the Jakarta International School, it is ritual for the students to make annual pilgrimages to this paradise island, and I have heard many stories.

Those that stand out in my mind are the trip experiences. In Bali you can order what are called "shroom shakes." The name is self-explanatory. The brilliant thing is you can order them at most bars and they will make it instantly, usually in front of you!

Now I am being skeptical, as we all should right! They are obviously freshly picked from paddies and probably taste gross, and rightfully so, but I am more concerned about the potency and the trip. My friends have told me that they can get you proper fucked up. The only psilocybin shrooms I have tried are those light brown hydroponically grown and dried ones, very scrumptious! [edited] per gram or something. I have eaten many an ounce of those...but that is the extent of my shroom experience.

So my fucking question is: has anyone tried the shrooms in Bali???

/me looks at all you crazy aussies. ;)

If so, what are they like!?!? I intend on puking a lot this spring break!

Last edited:
hehehe. you pay for shrooms :) no that's ok.
what you wanna do is NEVER buy what someone gives you unless you can identify it yourself.
take a visit towww.shroomery.org and do research on Indonesian magic shrooms. I'd rather pick myself than have some peddler on the street feed me a eho the hell knows what and end up with a powdered liver!

so, as a summery... unless someone can give you a trusted person's buisness over there..... educated yourself... i dunno it's all so dodgy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm happy to pick here in oz as the 'ol suboriginosa does the job more than well enouhgh ;)

If you die as a result of drinking a Bali shroom-shake...then at least your significant others can sue the restaurant for millions ;)

I can't imagine a bar widely selling something that could kill people...they wouldn't survive open for very long...but pp gives good advice...be very careful, lotsa shrooms are poisonous. Who knows, maybe the business sends a *new* dude out to pick the shrooms, they pick some poisonous ones, then the bartender makes the deadly concoction...and then the bar closes after YOUR death.

I'm not trying to scare you though. If a bar-tender said to me: "You wanna try a shroom shake?", I'd say "Yeah sure"...but thats just me, im probably too trusting.

In answer to your question: No i haven't tried the shrooms in Bali...but I'll ask my 4 Balinese friends tommorow for you.

I can't wait for my upcoming shroom trip :)

No doubt, and thanks for the warnings and advice guys. I will keep them in mind.

Better to be safe then sorry, although I'm pretty sure we will be okay and successful in our purchases. These joints that i am referring to that sell these shroom shakes are obviously very popular establishments that have to uphold a reputation, not to mention satisfy all the tourists!

I would pick shrooms if I knew what the hell I was looking for. In Southwest US, I would buy some damn magical hydroponically grown shrooms.

Here are some quotes from www.mushroomjohn.com:

"Although the mushrooms are currently illegal in Bali, as they are in Thailand, they are still prepared and offered to the tourist when requested"

"Schultes & Hofmann (1973) first reported that psychoactive mushrooms were being gathered by local natives in Bali in the early 1970's"

"They are then sold to resort restaurants and tourists. The most common food items listed on restaurant menus containing hallucinogenic mushrooms include omelettes, pizzas and fruit drinks ("smoothies"). "

So it seems very legitimate, as I expected. Can't wait to get my grub on!

AND I should have known better. Erowid gave me this comprehensive trip report on the P. cubensis shrooms of Bali:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=3440

Was never keen on mushies and always knocked them back when offered at home. But of course had to have a mushie omlette while on hols in Bali. Very strong trip and has put me off all kinds of hallucenegtic drugs since then. I suggest you make sure you are with a friend and spend the evening in familiar surroundings.

nuds said:
Was never keen on mushies and always knocked them back when offered at home. But of course had to have a mushie omlette while on hols in Bali. Very strong trip and has put me off all kinds of hallucenegtic drugs since then. I suggest you make sure you are with a friend and spend the evening in familiar surroundings.

Dude, i plan to time my trips so that i peak during the beautiful sunsets!

But really i wanna jet-ski out to some remote beach inlet, run out of gas, and get stranded 1/2 naked, tripped-out, and confused, catching every last drop of liquid on my tongue from whatever beached coconut i can find, hehe. 8)

From what i've been told (from a number of friends who have tried these) you really dont want to be on your own when or after you take these. Can be very very strong hallucinations and you want some familiar figures around to pull you through. I would definately recomend taking with company and not on some lonely beach until after you have gauged the strength and 'texture' of what you're being fed.

^ Well said. Even though I never have bad trips and I turn everything into a positive event, especially hallucinations, I should try these shrooms to get a feel of what they are like. I will most likely have trip sitters too. But truthfully, I just don't get bugged out. It's all mental...I WANT to be scared...I WANT to be tripped-out...afterall, it's not real. It's your otherworld's antipodes mind-fucking you! Word up, thanks for the advice.

There was a story in the paper a few years back about a guy that went to Bali and had a couple of mushie shakes and then freaked out. He went back to his hotel and threw himself off the 4th floor balcony twice and when that didn't work began stabbing himself in the chest with a broken bottle.

Sounds wicked, can I have that on the rocks please?

Psuedio G: Some people can't hack it. If that was his first time then he was a silly thing to try a new drug in a foreign country at that kind of dosage.

Only taste it if you're previously experenced. My family went to bali about 9 months ago and found a stand called "MR FUCKS MAGIC MUSHROOM SHAKES" (heh, mr fuck, what a mad name). He was apprently a very large, very friendly balinese man who offered to take my brother on "a magical jounrey across the universe"....

I'd have taken him up on the offer, but I was back in OZ 8(

I had a piece of steak and mushroom sauce at the Sari Club when it was open and the mushrooms made me trip badly! i had never had mushies before and really freaked me out, i was as sick as a dog aswell throwing up all day and the extent of the trip. I couldnt believe it, who would have thought! I never did! It was pretty funny in a way too!

I have been to bali six times, and have tried the mushrooms on a number of occations.To my knowledge they are illegle and the bali nese are aware of this.Although im sure the police turn a blind eye, unlike pot and other drugs[very stiff penalties].I found the best place to get them are the not so popular places,as they make you pay 10 times the price.the place i used to get mine needed a few hours notice.Id go there for lunch and order them for dinner,[not sure if im allowed to name the place?].By doing this i was assured of a fresh batch of goodies.I also found the balinese at this particular place to be very concerned at supplying me with them.They obviously new that bad shit could happen.They used to make sure i drunk it slowly ,sitting around with concerned looks on their face untill they knew i could handle it, then they turned up the music and danced around my table like chooks and we'd laugh our guts out for hours.One of the best experience iv'e ever had.But let me add, be very careful they are strong,and the traffic is out of control,so accidents are common[seen many],so make sure you are in a safe enviroment like the beach ect.Hope i didnt rave on too much and hope you got some useful information.Have a great holliday and party safe.

Yep I had them twice when I was in Bali, and it was my first time that I'd tried them. This was about 4 years ago, so I'm not sure what the situation is like there now with the drinks, or if they're harder to obtain etc etc.

The first time we went to this certain restaurant we were kinda nervous about doing it because we weren't sure what we were going to do exactly after we'd had it, but then I thought well if we eat dinner first then we'll decide if we want them or not.

So we attempted to eat, but after about 5 mins I decided that I couldn't finish the meal, due to being anxious about the whole thing. One of the waiters came up and asked us if there was something wrong with the meal, but I just told them that I wasn't really hungry, then after that we asked them about the shakes in a conspiratory kind of way and they were just like Ahhh!! ;)

After we drank the shakes, we went back to the hotel and sat around laughing at everyone quietly to ourselves, it was a comedy of all sorts. First of all we watched 2 guys come back into the hotel and try to get into their room, then when they realised they didn't have the key they started punching into each other, one of them was whimpering. Later after that incident all of a sudden at least half of the people came out of their rooms and jumped straight into the pool, this was at the early hours of the morning, no warning at all, it was quite strange, but regardless the experience was quite good, and the shakes were fairly strong, but still enjoyable.

About a couple of weeks after that we weren't staying at a hotel anymore (instead at a friends place), but we decided that seeing as though we were going back home in a few days that it would be nice to have them again.

So we went back down to this restaurant but we found out that takeaway was available too, so we got 2 drinks and took them back to where we were staying. The drinks seemed stronger this time which was fine until some of the people we were staying with (it was their house) came up and we couldn't stop laughing at them, although i wigged out when I got told something I really didn't want to know, especially at that point of time, but I dealt with it..

Personally I had a ball both times I had them, but I was with someone that had been on mushies a few times before, so I knew that she'd look after me. There are a few things that you should note with them, which are...

* Don't go for a swim whilst you're on them. As tempting as the water may be, it's really not a good idea at all.. infact I'd suggest that night time would be much better as the heat is a lot more bearable.

* Squat toilets are an absolute nightmare whilst affected...

* Crowded places are really not a good idea, the cars going down the street and the dogs are enough to send you mad, as well as those Jiggolo's that may keep shouting out to you.

* The mushrooms themselves taste rather foul to say the least. If I were you I'd be having the shakes for sure, they're not quite so bad.

* When you buy the shakes or omeletes, if they pretend they don't know what you're talking about, tell them that you know they sell them. Also if you are with any locals, do not take them with you when you're buying them. You won't have a hope in hell of getting them, cause occasionally an undercover will try and trick them......

They are quite strong and the visuals are good (i'm not sure if anything that happened the first night was real or not..), but if you're in a good environment with people who know what they're doing then you'll be right. As far as getting other drugs there, well I wouldn't attempt that unless you are travelling with a Balinese person that knows who to get them off. I mean you can bribe your way out of anything if you get caught, but you'll need a lot of money..

Enjoy!

magic mushrooms are magic mushrooms... so if you're considering having these mushy shakes in bali, it'd be a good idea to do some research on mushies. although nothing can totally prepare you for a mushroom trip, at least this way you'll have some idea of what you'll experience :)

i have just returned from bali on the 01/03 and tried pretty much everything i could get my hands on i know im an idiot but i can tell you its all crap i spent 4 weeks there and never heard of shroom shakes and i tried to find anything that could have been enjoyable but to no avail so what i say is just drink bintang thats enough

Excellent posts people. Pekkie: thanks for those tips.

To my conclusion, the shrooms in Bali are pretty much your classic P. cubensis and something else, and are going to be wicked.

Had them? Yes once about 10 years ago.
Taste? Yucky Poo.
Feeling? Rather like being under the influence of cannabis.
Amount? About 1/3 of a drink.

Should I have had more? No.
Why? Because I saw some very "out of it" people in restaurants talking utter gibberish to things unseen.

I have never seen people that far gone. Their eyes focused in another distant world.

Mmmmm..............Drink up and enjoy!!!!!