• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Seizures and MDMA (Important!)

rastafus

Bluelighter
About ten years ago, I had a single epileptic seizure after falling off my bike and hitting my head on the concrete. Since then I have had no signs of epilepsy or any seizures or anything like that. Just a single incident a long time ago and nothing else since. Should I be scared to do X?? How likely is it that MDMA will make me have a seizure? Has anyone ever had experience with this?

i had epilepsy when i was young (8~12) im 19 now and i have used esctacy without getting any seizures.

what might give u a seizure is bright flashing lights like a continuous strobe. i also find that playing games 3d shoot em up games like unreal tournament gives me migraines, altough im not sure if that has anything to do with my epilepsy diagnosis my personal feeling is it is related.

Well, I've never beed diagnosed with epilepsy, I just had that one isolated incident. I'm just wondering if I should be as concerned about it as people who have been diagnosed as epileptic.
Also, has anyone one witnessed someone on X have a seizure??
How common is it??
Thanks for the post!!

hey man,

I myself have seizures. I take MDMA on a rather steady basis, I have yet to have a seizure while rolling. I can't really say for sure though.

Digital

One-off seizures are often triggered by major neurological stress, and so shouldn't really be related to MDMA use.

If you have had multiple seizures in the past, you should be aware that stimulants lower the seizure threshold, though many people with epilepsy report being able to take MDMA with no problems.

It's worth noting that seizures are often found concurrently with hyponatremia (low blood sodium levels).

It may be worth having a look at some of the following:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10396584&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10637815&dopt=Abstract

A specific search of medline for "MDMA epilepsy" turns up no references, but there is a wider body of research documenting a link between dopaminergic stimulants (of which MDMA is one) and seizures. Best to be careful...

If you're going to do it - make sure you have a friend on hand who knows how to look after you if you do have a seizure.

jay1234 said:
i had epilepsy when i was young (8~12) im 19 now and i have used esctacy without getting any seizures.

you still have epilepsy even if dont have them anymore you still have the potential to have one. and not all epileptics are set off by visual stimuli like strobes and games and such.

i have epilepsy as well and i do to take e and have had no problems apart from stiff muscles on the comedown.

ahhhhh! Vola, Nice to know why i get stiff on come downs!! Thanks Dr.Green, Your the shit!
Lol
Digi
O and ya,I don't get siezures from lights or anything like that

stiff muscles on the come down is a common thing, atleast it is amongst my friends that do take mdma.

Actually,Becoming Stiff is common after takin speed. None of my friends get stiff after rolling unless we do some speed. I seem to get stiff no matter what.
Digit

^^ thats true but mdma does it also, thats why taking magnesium supplements helps with stopping ur jaw becoming stiff aswell as your other muscles. If i have a lite night on the pills then i dont get a big issue but 2+ good pills and i will get stiff in the morning.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Epilepsy and MDMA is always fine.

A good friend of mine has been on Epilepsy supressing tablets since her first seizures age 10. Now aged 20 and still on medication she was seizure free until she her recent exploration of the clubbing scene.

She had 2 seizures on 2 different nights whilst pilling.

She had no recollection of the seizures afterwards. But believe me they were shit scary for her friends that were around her.

Take care!

^^^ i do remember it unless i pass-out and that was only the first two times when i was unmedicated.

now i just have petit-mals (like my twitching or a wierd feeling) every so often.

so some people who do have seizures remember them.

Seizures caused by MDMA?

The past three times I've taken ecstasy I've had serizure-like episodes the next day or toward the very end of the comedown. The episodes occur after being seated or in bed for some time, upon standing and walking a few steps I get overwhelming dizziness accompanied by blindness. I stumble, shaking violently, but have been able to keep myself upright by leaning against a doorway or wall. .The episodes last for about ten seconds before I realize what's happening and snap myself out of it.
This also happened the first time I smoked cannabis after several months. I'm not sure if they're seizures; I've never had a history of seizures, but my sister has.
Could this be an allergic reaction of sorts? Could I not be getting sufficient oxygen to my brain because of the drugs?
First time poster, thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much ecstasy did you take to cause that?

I last rolled about a month ago, I over-did it and took WAY too many beans and stayed up for 2 days straight.. the following days after I got the same thing as you!

Whenever I got out of bed or stood up after sitting on the couch for a while, my vision goes on me and I get very dizzy.. almost hear a ringing sound in my ears too.. I lean on the wall or something (as you mentioned) and snap out of it, thinking holy shit!!

Weird, I have no answer for it!

I would think that, but I've only taken ONE PILL each time except for the last, when I took two.

I merged this thread with the other one about MDMA and seizures. Now all the information is in one place.

id think a major reason for the siezures would be the heavy flashing lights at raves, mixed with the mdma, maybe making people more suceptible to underying epiliepy or epileptic tendencys

Mr_Fluffykins said:
id think a major reason for the siezures would be the heavy flashing lights at raves, mixed with the mdma, maybe making people more suceptible to underying epiliepy or epileptic tendencys

Only a small percentage of epileptics are photosensitive (that is, can have seizures triggered by flashing lights). Nevertheless flashing lights and loud sounds can lower the seizure threshold in some.

thehappymutant said:
The past three times I've taken ecstasy I've had serizure-like episodes the next day or toward the very end of the comedown. The episodes occur after being seated or in bed for some time, upon standing and walking a few steps I get overwhelming dizziness accompanied by blindness. I stumble, shaking violently, but have been able to keep myself upright by leaning against a doorway or wall. .The episodes last for about ten seconds before I realize what's happening and snap myself out of it.
This also happened the first time I smoked cannabis after several months. I'm not sure if they're seizures; I've never had a history of seizures, but my sister has.
Could this be an allergic reaction of sorts? Could I not be getting sufficient oxygen to my brain because of the drugs?
First time poster, thanks in advance for any insight.

That doesn't sound like a seizure, that sounds like low blood pressure. My girlfriend gets that sometimes -- she has feinted after standing up quickly the next day.

Go search google for "orthostatic hypotension" or "postural hypotension" and you should find info on what you appear to have.