• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA Approves MDMA Study (merged)

cascadia

Bluelighter
A South Carolina psychiatrist said Wednesday he will immediately start recruiting patients after winning approval to conduct the first study testing MDMA -- better known as ecstasy -- as a therapeutic tool.

Dr. Michael Mithoefer plans to conduct psychotherapy sessions with 20 women who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder due to sexual assaults or other violence, and who haven't been helped by other treatment. Twelve of the women will receive MDMA prior to the sessions while eight will be given a placebo.

The Food and Drug Administration approved Mithoefer's protocol in 2001, but it took another two years to find an institutional review board willing to sanction the study, which is a required step when dealing with human research subjects.

Mithoefer's research required approval from the Drug Enforcement Administration because MDMA is a Schedule I drug. It's grouped with drugs like heroin, cocaine and LSD, all considered to have no medical use.

Bill Grant, a spokesman for the DEA, said the final approval came Tuesday night.

Mithoefer says he works with post-traumatic stress disorder patients all the time and he's excited about the possibility of finding a better treatment for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who suffer from the sometimes debilitating disorder.

"We owe it to them," he said. "It would be irresponsible for the medical community not to investigate something like this."

At the same time, he warns that using MDMA in an uncontrolled setting can be very dangerous.

"It's really important for people to realize the fact that we have permission to do this study and we can do it safely in this setting," he said.

Also, the fact that he's received permission for the study, he said, "does not mean that you can use ecstasy safely and anywhere."

MDMA was first invented in 1912 but largely ignored until young people made it a recreational drug starting in the late 1970s. Psychiatrists quickly became aware of its unusual properties, and several dozen experimented by giving MDMA to patients -- including people suffering post-traumatic stress disorder -- and others with intense anxiety after receiving diagnoses of terminal cancer.

One of those patients from the early 1980s is an artist now living in the western United States, who spoke with CNN. She did not want her name used.

After being raped and beaten at age 17, the woman suffered severe panic attacks for eight years, leading to three hospitalizations before being treated with MDMA. Before those sessions, she said her trauma was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia, severe depression and bipolar disorder.

"MDMA allowed me, for the first time, to sit with the details of the event, and separate them from what was happening in the present," she told CNN. "I was able to relax my body. I was able to say, 'this is not happening to you right now.' "

Suicidal at the time, she said the treatment may have saved her life.

"There might have been another way, but the way that I see it is that I probably would have died," she said.

"When someone is traumatized, walls form around trauma -- like a scar -- and it's hard to get someone to open up and talk about it," explains Dr. Julie Holland of New York University, author of "Ecstasy: A Complete Guide."

"What's unique about MDMA is that it's actually stimulating but decreases anxiety," Holland told CNN. "It could help people feel calm and comfortable enough to explore painful things that are hard to talk about."

"A good analogy is that it would give psychiatry something akin to anesthesia during therapy," she said. "And unlike anesthesia, your memory is completely intact, but even enhanced. You remember the trauma very clearly, but are comfortable enough to talk about it."

"Because it anesthetizes the patient to some extent," Holland said, "you can get to that malignant core in one or two sessions instead of three or four years."

But Dr. Scott Lillienfeld, a psychiatrist at Emory University who has studied post-traumatic stress disorder, said that hypothesis is "at the least, muddled."

Lillienfeld said effective treatment actually requires the patient to face their trauma head-on. "If you're calm, you're not getting at the root of the problem," said Lillienfeld.

He also said Mithoefer's study has methodological problems.

"There's no real placebo," he said. "Everyone will know who's on the drugs. What I wonder is, instead of a placebo, why aren't they giving a drug that mimics the physical effects?"

Mithoefer said all participants will have to undergo psychiatric screening and a physical exam to ensure they don't have any physical risk factors. Ecstasy, a strong stimulant, is thought to be particularly dangerous to people with high blood pressure. It also has been known to cause dangerous overheating in people who take it and then exercise or dance for a long period of time.

Patients in this clinical trial will be given the drug only one or two times. They will be under a doctor's supervision for the entire time they are under the drug's influence.

Mithoefer said he hopes to begin the actual therapy sessions next month.

CNN producers Caleb Hellerman and Miriam Falco contributed to this report.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ecstasy approved for medical study
Wednesday, February 25, 2004
CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/25/ecstasy.study/index.html

[edit: just cleaned up format]

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just about to post this myself ... great news!!!

Seeing as Ricaurte isn't doing the study, I can't imagine the results reflecting a negative outcome .. I shall anticipate them eagerly.

Seeing as MDMA wasn't banned until the 1980's, and was used by psychotherapists back then, wouldn't there have already been studies commissioned? Or were those all unofficial applications? Just curious.

It sounds like a silly thing for the DEA to fund... Of course the DEA should let doctors do their job however they see fit, but it doesn't take a government funded study to determine that MDMA can be therapeutic.

^^ Silly ? How is that ? 8)
By approving a government funded study,and if the results are positive the FDA will in effect officially legitimize MDMA as a theraputic tool and pave the way for (hopefully) decriminalization of users. Moreover, it will finally allow MDMA to be used as a legitimate tool in psychiatry, something that has been argued over and over in the past 20 years. This is great news, because FDA backed study makes it official that "Hey! maybe this substance is useful and is not just an evil club drug"

The only thing "silly" is ignorance of people who underestimate this FDA decision as a positive sign for all supporters of MDMA and it's potential for therapeutic use.

Hullo StuffedTiger and Crazee???!!!!

Nowhere in the original article does it say who is FUNDING the study. It just said that the DEA and FDA had to APPROVE the study because MDMA is a schedule I drug. Approval is NOT funding. Approval means they have given permission. I highly doubt the government would fund this kind of a study.

fruitfly stated in his post that MAPS is sponsoring the study, and the MAPS web page does indeed state that...
MAPS donated $11,000 to McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, for Dr. Halpern's work on the protocol design and approval process for a study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in subjects with anxiety as a result of end-stage cancer, with outcome measures to evaluate anxiety, pain and quality of life. MAPS has previously donated $15,000 to McLean for this study on June 2003. We plan to submit the protocol to the McLean IRB before the end of Summer 2004.

link

Duh, it's too early in the morning, no FDA is NOT funding this study, I meant that the study is backed and approved by FDA not funded.

;)

They said mdma was a sheduel 1 chem along with heroin, cocaine, and lsd... but last time i checked heroin and cocaine were scheduel 2, because they did posess some medicinal value. Anyone wanna let me know im wrong/back me up?

^^^
LSD - Schedule I
Heroin - Schedule I
MDMA - Schedule I
Cocaine - Schedule II

All of the above scheduling is in the US according to erowid.

I thought the same thing Eternal ... isn't heroin also used in the medical field? I know they use morphine, etc., but I thought they had pharmaceutical-grade heroin also ... I guess I can't believe everything I read in books!

To the best of my knowledge heroin is listed in Schedule I or the equivalent world-wide. There are much better painkillers, most of which lack the euphoria that heroin produces.

Heroin is not medically used in the US but it is in Canada. Much better than morphine at killing pain.

The comment by Lillenfeld in the article about the lack of a placebo is interesting - I don't think it would be possible to "mimic the physical effects" without using a drug that would have comparable therapeutic value. Thus the implication that patient expectation might influence the observed effect of the ecstasy. You could get around it by using people who had never had ecstasy before, with little inkling of its effects. Then give the control group some sort of mild euphoriant - they wouldn't know if it was ecstasy or not. Trouble is, I suspect that even this might prove more beneficial than "straight" counselling. I also suspect that one of the main stumbling blocks for some medical authorities is the intoxicating nature of ecstasy - they want the benefits without the high. One could suggest that the chemical/s responsible for the high are also those responsible for the therapeutic effect - or even more shockingly - the high IS the therapeutic effect. Naturally, many of us have been getting wasted as a therapeutic and/or life affirming exercise for years...

Ecstasy to treat stress disorder

Ecstasy to treat stress disorder
From Elaine Monaghan in Washington
27 Feb 2004

ECSTASY, the drug blamed for rave deaths among teenagers, is being put to more respectable use in the United States by a psychiatrist who believes that it can cure the crippling effects of post-traumatic stress disorder.

US drug authorities gave Michael Mithoefer permission this week to use MDMA, or Ecstasy, in a study of 20 patients suffering from the disorder, which sends victims into a debilitating panic as they repeatedly relive a past trauma.

“There is enough suggestive evidence to warrant further study,” said Dr Mithoefer, who will lead the research at the Medical University of South Carolina. He built his case on evidence gathered before Ecstasy was banned in 1985, including instances where rape victims reported relief from their symptoms in controlled therapy enhanced by the drug.

Rick Doblin, president of a non-profit psychedelic studies group that is sponsoring the study, has worked with one such woman who also became an advocate for MDMA’s use in therapy. Her rapist almost killed her. She had lost her ability to differentiate between past and present, Mr Doblin said. Sufferers of the disease “have this feeling that the trauma is about to happen again and they cannot go to certain places”, he added.

In a supervised therapy session using Ecstasy, the woman reported experiencing a kind of catharsis, where she was able to confront her trauma for the first time, he said.

Dr Mithoefer said that he was anxious not to create the impression that recreational Ecstasy use was safe. “I am concerned about people misinterpreting this,” he said. “I think it is very important that people understand the difference between safe use in this kind of controlled setting and unsafe use in settings such as raves, which can be dangerous.”

Mr Doblin, 50, is not shy about admitting to his own Ecstasy use, which he says has helped him in his relationships and life in general. He believes that the drug should be legalised so that people can make their own informed decision.

Link

Umm...why are they letting the people know whether or not they have a placebo?

They'd probably notice anyway but still that makes it not as effective.

^
I don't think it said the people receiving the placebo will know it's a placebo. I read it as the people who took ecstasy will not be hard to spot, compared to those who took the placebo.

Thanks for the link cascadia.

125mg's?! I really like this study. I'm amazed that the DEA is allowing this.

125mg's of pure mdma... that would have a HUGE effect on the session.

This is great, and a positive step... although they will never allow it for recreation.