Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Speed v Dexamphetamines

Bok Bok

Bluelighter
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you know what the key differences are between speed and dexies. I know speed is quite a bit stronger with whatever it does as far as gram per gram goes, but obviously dexies are a cheaper option in many cases.

I'm just bringing this up because I saw some discussion about some people only wanting to eat caps of speed rather than snort whizz, and I would have thought that there would be definite economic advantages to just eating a handful of dexies.

Thoughts appreciated:\

Same thing I thought? Although all of the Dexie isn't the good Amphetamine, only about half of it?

Speed can be either methamphetamine or amphetamine depending upon local lingo.

The dextrorotatory isomer of Amphetamine is known as dexies

The mirror opposite isomer is the levo-rotatory and is only slightly active. A mixture of the 2 isomers was once used in medicine under the name benzedrine.

Methamphetamine or the N-methyl version of amphetamine is that usually found in street speed in Aus. It can be the more concentrated form, usually called base, rock, crystal etc, or it can be cut with MSM or glucose and sold cheaper.

Check out My nana can't a methamphetamine from an amphetamine

and this for a bit of a more in-depth look at isomers; Isomers of MDMA

Although concerning MDMA, the topic applies equally to amphetamines

Bok Bok said:
I know speed is quite a bit stronger with whatever it does as far as gram per gram goes

That's not really the case... Dexies are pure D-amphetamine (there's binders too, obviously), which is the strongest isomer of amphetamine. When you consider that 'speed' on the street (usually methamphetamine) is often poorly manufactured and cut excessively, dexies have a lot going for them.

Last edited:
speed - could contain anything.

dexes - whats in it is written pretty clearly on the perscription bottle.

Personally I like dexes, they're clean (well duh they're medication) and I mean if they shit you can always take them back to the chemist ;)

Yeah. Dexies normally come as 5MG Dexamphetamine Tablets. Meaning they have 5MG of PURE amphetamine. So really 5% Amphetamine and 95% Binder - That in itself is an excellent reason WHY NOT to snort dexies. Eat them.

Speed could be anything and possible nothing. The actually percentage of amphetamine in street drugs is much harder to tell, if impossible.

My suggestion is for a brand new amphetamine user to take between 15 - 20MG of Dexamphetamine and experienced users can up the dosage from there. I've seen experienced users literally eat 100MG of this shit over the course of a night (Crazy arse comedowns!)

Sorry - Thats a little off topic but kind of relates to the difference in purity. Obviously you can never be quite sure of the purity of street drugs but with Dex you know the exact amount taken and it's a pharm so it's clean.

shal :D

At the end of the day you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 50mg dose of dexamphetamine or methamphetamine. For all intents and purposes (recreationally) their effects are the same.

A lot of the wizz on the streets is made from pseudoephedrine which yields only the dextro isomer of methamphetamine. So don't think the word "dex" makes amphetamine any better than meth.

clocker said:
At the end of the day you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 50mg dose of dexamphetamine or methamphetamine. For all intents and purposes (recreationally) their effects are the same.

A lot of the wizz on the streets is made from pseudoephedrine which yields only the dextro isomer of methamphetamine. So don't think the word "dex" makes amphetamine any better than meth.

I beg to differ, I can feel a difference between methamphetamine and dexamphetamine when taken oraly. I find the effects of meth are much less focused and more "scattery" as opposed to being able to concentrate and hyper-focus on tasks at hand with dex. (I do however have adhd)

Dex does'nt make amphetamine better as such, but you do have government,laboratory controls inplace so you do get a much cleaner,safer product in the end.

Re: Re: Speed v Dexamphetamines

apollo said:
That's not really the case... Dexies are pure D-amphetamine (there's binders too, obviously), which is the strongest isomer of amphetamine. When you consider that 'speed' on the street (usually methamphetamine) is often poorly manufactured and cut excessively, dexies have a lot going for them.

That is very true apollo , however if your only getting rock then you know that it hasnt been cut. Just make sure you get a dealer who sells you the crystal.

OT: Just because its crystal doesn't make it pure. Rebaking is suprisingly easy and common.

Obviously if it's not cut meth is way stronger! That's axiomatic!

My point was that dexies have a lot going for them when you consider that they're the strongest of the amphetamine isomers, and consistent. Speed might be stronger, but it's all too often impure, badly manufactured and painfully inconsistent in quality.

I get 20mg dexies off American exchange students (heaps of em have adhd!) they are much better to snort and I rarely would have 10mg or more for a night out. Good reason to befriend some Americans

I beg to differ, I can feel a difference between methamphetamine and dexamphetamine when taken oraly. I find the effects of meth are much less focused and more "scattery" as opposed to being able to concentrate and hyper-focus on tasks at hand with dex. (I do however have adhd)

When you take 5 dexies you know how exactly how many mg's of drug you are getting....whereas with speed off the street you can weigh out a point but you never know purity so you don't know how many mg's you are comparing it to. You need to be taking exactly the same of each before you can start comparing.

I gaurantee you that if we conducted a double-blind study and swapped users bewteen getting exactly 50mg of methamphetamine and 50mg of dexamphetamine no one would be able to pick which was which. While meth is slightly longer lasting the actual types of effects are the same...they bind to exactly the same receptors in the brain. So when you say one is more scatty that's all due to setting and at what stage of a binge you're on rather than different properties of the drug.

I gaurantee you that if we conducted a double-blind study and swapped users bewteen getting exactly 50mg of methamphetamine and 50mg of dexamphetamine no one would be able to pick which was which. While meth is slightly longer lasting the actual types of effects are the same...they bind to exactly the same receptors in the brain. So when you say one is more scatty that's all due to setting and at what stage of a binge you're on rather than different properties of the drug.

I can see your point but i disagree. There is a reason why we dont prescribe methamphetamine like we prescribe dexamphetamine and it is not simply because of the longetivity factor.

Methylamphetamine certainly effects dopamine more than amphetamine making it more addictive and more euphoric than amphetamine.

It also effects serotonin especially in high doses and correct me if im wrong but amphetamine does not do that anywhere the same extent if at all.

Some people could definitely tell the difference.

Scatty: a lot of that could be due to impurities in the meth; also what about route administration. I bet many people are comparing their insufflated meth to swallowed dexies. Insufflation is far more like to be "Scatty" both during the experience and after.

As a sidebar I will confirm that there is virtually no illicitly manufactured amphetamine anywhere; at least in WA. It is literally non-existant.

You agreed with me on 2 points and yeah I said they aren't the same in the extent of the effects but the types of effects are, this is what you repeated....read more carefully
Methylamphetamine certainly effects dopamine more than amphetamine making it more addictive and more euphoric than amphetamine.

It also effects serotonin especially in high doses and correct me if im wrong but amphetamine does not do that anywhere the same extent if at all.
. You said exactly what I was saying they bind to the same receptors in the brain but the extent of stimulation is different. This difference, while significant pharmacologically, becomes insignificant at higher recreational doses when you're buzzing balls to the walls.
amphetamine and meth both affect serotonin, dopmaine, noradrenaline and adrenaline. So recreationally speaking there is no way users would come out successful in my study.
Think about it this way....MDMA and MDA also only differ in the methyl group but unlike amphet and meth their types of effects are different from each other. How many times have been gone around pillreports saying pill X has MDA in it only to be proven wrong by simon's and robadope testers? It happens a lot. If people don't have a hope of detecting the methyl group with the MD's, where the difference in types of effect is there, what chance do they have with the amphet's???

Last edited:
Amphetamine causes more peripheral stimulation. Both cause constriction of blood vessels, but at lower doses, amphetamine increases more blood to the extremities than does meth. Being someone with intermittent high blood pressure, I can feel my face "glow" with amphetamine, where-as I don't notice this at all with meth.

Meth can leave you scattered as Biscuit said, but for me that's not only when it's insufflated. When spending time in study; writing or reading, amphetamine wins hands down over meth. Lateral thinking also improves, which is why I believe kids on Dex are in some ways unfairly advantaged over their non-medicated class mates.

For me, the difference is most noted in my reading and typing speeds. Meth hardly if anything improves this, while amphetamine on the other hand allows me to type at almost twice my normal speed with far fewer mistakes.

In a double blind test, I'd be willing to put money on being able to pick the difference. Maybe I'm some sort of exception but I doubt it. I do wonder though at times, when I continually hear people describing safrole (in pills)as smelling like aniseed. Anisaldehyde smells a little like aniseed, anethole much more so, but safrole smells completely different IMO ........it's all about fine tuning the senses, like the subtle differences in effect between Champagne and sparkling wine.

I know an adult who's on a very high dosage of amphetamine. He functions fine while only on this medication. But he loves his meth and battles with staying away from it. If he does get on the meth, he boots a very large amount and goes completely off the rails for 3 days. A normally very sharp and rational guy on 30-40mg amphetamine/ day, he turns into a paranoid confused and dangerous man when binging on meth. Comparing the ations of two; while they are chemically similar, they are pharmacologically not that similar.

One thing I will say to clocker, the effects from amphetamine and meth get more similar as the dosages are increased.

Last edited:
From something I wrote in this thread about a year ago

From Goodman and Gillman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics

Methamphetamine is closely related to amphetamine and ephedrine. Its pharmacological actions are similar to those of amphetamine, but it [meth] exhibits a different ratio between central and peripheral actions. Small doses have prominent CNS effects without significant peripheral actions; somewhat larger doses produce a sustained rise in systolic and diastolic blood pressure due in man mainly to cardiac stimulation. Cardiac output is increased although the heart maybe reflexly slowed.

Methamphetamine is principally used for its CENTRAL EFFECTS which are more pronounced than those of amphetamine and are accompanied by less prominent peripheral actions…..

What this is basically saying is that meth at low doses causes CNS effects and little cardiac effect involving peripheral circulation.
High doses can actually cause depression of the heart muscle. Amphetamine on the other hand increases both cardiac and CNS effects at low doses, with higher doses increasing heart rate further.

I agree with PD here, I am almost certain I could also tell the difference between mth and dex. As I stated earlier I notice a much more pronounced hyperfocus ability from dex than meth. Also I am the same as PD's friend. I was functioning normally on about 50mgs of dex a day, but get me on the meth and I would turn into a raving nutter. I find that on meth I have hardly any co-ordination as opposed to dex where I have the grace and the skills of a ballet dancer LOL Also my typing ability is vastly improved with dex, I find on meth I have trouble hiting the right keys when typing, and when I program music I find that dex wins hands down for having the focus to finish a track, as opposed to neth where I'll get a loop and groove on that for hours. I dunno, it's just how I am I guess :)

btw I have been a heavy amphetamine user for 11 years and I don't normally join into discussion without having ammo to back myself up :)

take care

clocker said:

You know how many people I know who are screwed up from meth use??

Also, another thing i dont like about meth and street speed.

where does it get manufactured? chances are in someones backyard tin shed.

or if your not lucky and just got ripped off. it got poured straight out of a packet of sugar brought (or stolen) from the local shop.

Biscuit said:

dont you mean Methamphetamine. dexies are dexamphetamine sulphate which is a Methylampetamine ?

plz correct me if im wrong...