Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: South Australia -Ban The Bong

phase_dancer

Bluelight Crew
From JJJ NEWS

23/02/2004 BAN THE BONG CAMPAIGN
South Australia's Opposition will soon introduce a Private Members Bill, banning the sale of equipment used to smoke drugs.

The Shadow Police Minister, Robert Brokenshire, says his campaign was inspired by a recent visit to a shop near a Primary school.

"The ironic part was that on the front of the cabinet that had a sign written in texta saying that the sale of tobacco is illegal to minors ... And yet behind that were all these bongs. Its basically saying to kids, don't buy your pies and pasties anymore, come and buy a bong."

But the former head of Hemp S-A, James Danenberg, says cannabis use will go on, regardless of a ban.

"Is that going to solve anything? are young people not going to smoke cannabis because they can't get hold of a bong? They can get hold of a softdrink plastic bottle and turn that into a bong. And the problem with that is that is actually a very dangerous way to use cannabis."

Stories such as this could very well influence outcomes of the planned private members bill prohibiting bongs.

Children as young as 10 caught with drugs
By NIGEL HUNT
February 23, 2004

CHILDREN as young as 10 are being caught by police with amphetamines and other designer drugs in South Australia.

Hospitals and clinics are also reporting an increase in the number of young people treated for overdoses or addiction.

As the use of amphetamines continues to grow at an alarming rate in SA, police figures reveal 67 youths aged between 10 and 17 have been caught with illicit drugs – including amphetamines, ecstasy, methylamphetamines, also known as Ice, and heroin – since September, 2001.

The youths were placed in the police drug diversion scheme and referred to health services for assessment and treatment.

Another 1910 youths have been caught with cannabis and either cautioned or referred for treatment after being placed in the diversion scheme. The scheme involves police referring users caught with small quantities of a drug to health services, rather than charging them. Only repeat offenders or those who fail to meet the requirements of the program are brought before a court.

Since the diversion initiative started in September, 2001, 2775 people have been diverted for 3157 offences.

Senior police said yesterday it was a "significant concern" children were being apprehended with amphetamines. "We are always concerned with any indications of an increase in any drug use, including alcohol abuse for youths," Assistant Commissioner (Crime) Madeleine Glynn said. "Their use is illegal but there are also other implications such as for the user's social life, their ability to fulfil their potential, their self-harm and for the community."

Drug and Alcohol Services Council director Dr Robert Ali said yesterday the number of amphetamine users seeking help at drug rehabilitation clinics had almost doubled in just a year. In the 2000-01 financial year, 598 people sought treatment, while last financial year 1119 people sought help.

"There are more people using and more people getting into trouble and we are also seeing it through emergency department presentations," Dr Ali said.

Of the 2775 people placed in the diversion program, 62.6 per cent were aged between 10 and 17 years.

The possession of cannabis or related equipment constituted 60.5 per cent of all diversions.

Of the 1977 people aged between 10 and 17 caught with drugs, 1464 received police cautions, were given educational materials and their parents were notified of their first cannabis possession offence.

Another 446 were required to attend health services for second or third cannabis possession offences and 67 were required to attend for first or second offences involving other illicit drugs.

There were 1180 adults diverted for possession of drugs such as amphetamines and heroin.

The Advertiser; From
Here

Phhh... What a crock. Mind you, if I couldn't get a glassie I'd prolly give up bongs, but I met a glassblower on the weekend so that will prolly never happen.

A copy of the Triple J news story phase_dancer was talking about can be downloaded from here. [57kb, 24 sec]

Ha ha, what are they going to try to ban next? 600ml Bottles, Garden Hoses?

.....Maybe better add 2l Coke bottles and 10l Buckets to the list too!!!

^^^^ and not to mention a shitload of time spent sitting on your ass, stoned ;) :)

So stupid.

I smoked pot for years before ever having the classy ceramic bong in use.

Good Move Robert Brokenshire!

I am ~sure~ this will work and no one will ever smoke cannabis again!

EVER.

What a joke! They can't seriously expect this to have an impact on mull usage!

What a ridiculous idea....

Just put a handle on all the bongs , take the pipe out and call them a kettle, then sell the pipe/peice separately. Or maybe not.

If were going to ban 600mL bottles and garden hoses lets ban coke cans and aluminum foil while we're at it.
Why ban the coke can u ask. Well I know from experience when your in need of a cone piece, a cut up piece of coke can is a great substitute.
Also the al-foil, well a poor friend fo mine uses a foily cone piece cause he's too poor to go buy himself a new one.
And one night while at a party a drunken bikie told me a bent coke can with a hole in the middle is a good substitute for a pipe.

eKLaB =D

Of course the real issue which should be headlining such a discussion, is how banning bongs would affect the long term health of users.

There's a great many reasons why smoking from a home made bong can be very bad for you.

A typical example may be a Coke can cone, used with a plastic bottle with burnt plastic (hole) which touches the water, and not forgetting the piece of non-inert plastic garden hose. I could ramble on all day about the carcinogenic potential of these materials when heated or burned.

But the bottom line is that bongs are better for your health than joints - if you don't share the bong of course.

Why hasn't this important scientifically validated information been mentioned?

Probably because of the narrow window some of these conservative politicians look through. I'd bet the thought never entered Robert Brokenshire's mind.

I only hope the chance to debate this issue is forthcoming and is taken up by people with the appropriate knowledge in health and science. Given half a chance, I'd tear strips off the proponents of this ludicrous idea. My arguments would perhaps represent a different sense of rational; That would be the reasoning arrived at after reviewing the known scientific facts :X

Joint or Bong: Which is better for you?

Label them with health warnings - perhaps etched into the glass - put all smoking paraphernalia behinds counters and out of view. Ask for ID and only sell to those over 18 - although to be realistic here, IMO 16 is probably a more suitable minimum age.

Nothing for kids to gaze in wonder at, nothing to have them steal from their grandmother to buy, nothing to influence young minds.

Last edited:
One of the most amusing things about this is that the two largest smoking paraphenalia shops in Adelaide are located within 50 metres of each other in the middle of the city and the Hindley street police station lies between them.

Well I gashed open my hand this morning making something to smoke amphetamine out of... 2 months ago I could've just gone and bought something...

lol, i always find it rather amusing when I see a cop as i'm walking out of one of those bongshops with a new piece of paraphanelia in my pocket.

S.Aust seems to have a reputation as Netherlands of the southern hemisphere. Is it just me or do the cops around here really not give a shit about people who just use weed and not deal it.

I just don't see what is to gain by banning bongs. I guess the people in power get rather bored down SA way?

The Shadow Police Minister, Robert Brokenshire, says his campaign was inspired by a recent visit to a shop near a Primary school.

The ironic part was that on the front of the cabinet that had a sign written in texta saying that the sale of tobacco is illegal to minors ... And yet behind that were all these bongs. Its basically saying to kids, don't buy your pies and pasties anymore, come and buy a bong."

What a load of bullshit! I know the shop that they are reffering to, and they wouldn't ever sell to primary school kids. Hell, I went in there wearing my leavers jumper for school in yr12 and they wouldnt sell to me. This is very surprising for SA, its always seemed pretty layed back regarding weed here. I dont want to have to resort to dodgy bottle/hose bongs, I reckon I will have to (in the interest of harm minimisation) stock up on the glass pieces beforehand if this law ever does pass :(