Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

an ode to a land of wonder....

muzby

Bluelighter
well, i was gonna get all poetic and stuff (hence the title) but fuck it.. i wanna rant....

how fucked up is it that they are gonna close wonderland sydney....

yes, thats right peoples, in april, wonderland will shut its doors for the last time...

the great(?) theme park has already started its walk down the green mile with a skeleton staff manning the park....

i'm sure there are many of us out there who have great memories of the many utopias spent there, getting to wander round a place made to capture the imagination of children (which is the same state most of us were in at the time...) the joys of rushing on the rides, the magical feelings that went through us walking through the gate, then even again at the end of the party.... even the afterparties in the carpark....

even before that, i for one have great memories of wandering the park at a kid, finally happy when i could reach the mark that said i could go on the big kids rollercoaster... hell, i still even have some hanna barbera dollars (kinda like ichy & scratchy money..)

so now, the kids of sydney are forced to party in sterile warehouses, and good old homebush... and no matter how many giant slides, jumping castles and cha cha's, we cant replace the pirate ships, space probes or flying chairs...

wonderland... a place of dreams and memories for a lot of us.... now designed to be sydneys next big industrial park....

hahaha... I didnt see that coming... Go To Angry - Go Directly To Angry ;)

aw, i remember i was always wanted to go that when i was a little kid - all the ads on tv :)

When I was about 8 or 9 I remember thinking the Bush Beast felt like it was about to fall apart... wonder how it's holding up these days.

awww theyre gonna close it? maybe they will reopen it every school holiday like they reopend Luana Park here in Melb last school holidays.

*shrugs*

the bush beast is a wooden roller coaster yeah? They are deliberatley made too feel like they are rickity and gonna fall apart, that adds to the effect. Its the whole point of a wooden rollercoaster!!

*starfalls69* said:
awww theyre gonna close it? maybe they will reopen it every school holiday like they reopend Luana Park here in Melb last school holidays.

Nope, it's being sold off for an industrial development area or something similar. Some of the rides are also being sold to other theme parks.

So... who wants to have a bluelight meetup there before it closes??

I have fond memories of it, its a shame they are closing it down - it was the only reason to go to Syndey ;)

*runs off*

katmeow said:

So... who wants to have a bluelight meetup there before it closes??

I was going to suggest that. I love wonderland and have been there 4 times or more (or something) and i'm a bit peeved it's getting closed down as i have fond memories of the place too

i suggest 17th april??????? (just to get the ball rolling)

far enough away to organise it???? who would be up for it?

I wanna play at wonderland one last time =D

I would be up for it. I haven't been for quite a while, and would really enjoy a final fling as it were :)

CB :)

wonderland sucks and always has.. Glad to see it go.
there are like 3 good rides and its too far away from anything

Me and a friend have put a bid in for the Spaceprobe!!! =D

The park land was sold for 52 Million. Some of the smaller attractions and staff are going over to Luna Park once it re-opens again later this year.

I can't say i'm surprised its closing. Like has been said, its soo far out, and isn't easy to get to via PT.
The boss blamed it on everything bar that. SARS, the war, Bird Virus etc etc, yet QANTAS recorded an increase in international tourists lately. Basically, it was just a crap park.

But that said, i too had many a fond memory there, especially on the above said Spaceprobe. (Weeeeeeeeee) ;)

I'll be in on a meetup to wave goodbye one last time~

DJC*

up all night said:
When I was about 8 or 9 I remember thinking the Bush Beast felt like it was about to fall apart... wonder how it's holding up these days.

About the same as always. That thing is fucking deadly :)

I would also like to express my regret at the closing of Old Sydney Town last year. I seriously can't believe that there wasn't some sort of council intervention. Not only was Old Sydney Town a great day out for kids and adults it was a valuable educational resource that has now been lost.
It's one thing to read about life for the first settlers and their effects on the indigenous population. It's quite another to witness it brilliantly acted out.

Old Sydney Town was located in Gosford on the Central Coast (next to the reptile park which is still there) so I'm sure at least a few of you Sydney siders have been there, probably on a school excursion.

It's still on my to do list to scale the fence some night and have a walk around and be all nostalgic (I presume the buildings havn't been ripped down as of yet, but I could be wrong).

Last edited: