Body temp. in relation to neurotoxicity

TAC

Bluelighter
all right as far as i can remember these two are directly related to eacch other when dealing with mdma, now exactly what type of neurotoxicity occurs when the body goes over 106 or whatever it is that is the regular threshhold for braindamage (like say your really damned sick and got a horrible horrible fever)? just wondering cause maybe the two damages are the same and this is the real reason for neurotoxicity with mdma??
------------------
AleX
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"
- Buddha -

No, mdma only raises your body's temp a few degrees, not nearly enough to cause brain damage. The only brain damage assoicated with mdma is caused by dopamine getting caught in your brain cells and becoming toxic to them, this happens at the end of your roll. However, this damage is very small and could be compared to drinking a beer...
Peace and love
------------------
"we shared an insight...we were all together in our own world, a world far away from hate and fear, we had let go of fear"

ummm no.
that is only the supposed theory as to how brain damage is done, hell they dont even know exactly what ecstasy does to you normally when you take it, its all just theory so far, but the damage is in no way comparable to drinking one beer.
also under normal conditions it will only raise your body temp a little but also remember that damage isnt neccessarily caused at all temperatures on X, body temp has been shown to completely correlate with teh amount of neurotoxicity (brain damage) you inccur while rolling.
can someone else answer my question?

I wish I knew, TAC I posted this msg. in the Medical forum, maybe RaverDOc knows
smile.gif

In the case of MDMA, the free radical formation is hypothesized to be a major reaction
leading to neurotoxicity. It has been shown that formation of hydroxyl radicals in the
brain is a temperature-dependent process. At high ambient temperatures there is seen
hyperthermia in rats that correlates with increased neurotoxicity. At low ambient
temperatures hypothermia and protection against neurotoxicity is seen.
In laboratory enviroment (room temp 20-21 C), no significant changes in oral
temperature of human volunteers has been observed.
[This message has been edited by Drug Dustbin (edited 06 May 2000).]

As far as I know MDMA won't cause enough hyperthermia to damage your brain. The problem is from dancing like a lunatic. Dancing without resting raises your body temp which can cause problems. Just make sure you take time to rest and drink ENOUGH water, not too much.
Like I said, this is to my knowledge. I read this somewhere. Better check up with the Doc.

On the hyperthermia issue:
body temperatures above 106 degrees can be damaging, leading to brain damage, cardiac damage, and other organ problems. Normally (except in the case of anesthesia-induced malignant hyperthermia) human beings have excellent thermoregulatory mechanisms, which is why our body temperatures don't vary appreciably even in hot weather. Unfortunately, one of the key ingredients in maintaining a safe body temperature is that we need to be WELL HYDRATED...and MDMA use, combined with lots of dancing etc., without adequate hydration, can lead to hyperthermic collapse.
Given the infancy of MDMA research, I'm not going to say that the toxicity from MDMA is *exactly* as shown in Dancesafe's excellent slideshow (ie, from dopamine toxic metabolites)...but it is a very persuasive argument. People who get hyperthermic to the point of brain damage are not walking around and dancing, and they would be experiencing other acute signs (ie, collapse).
------------------
be safe--
raverdoc

i know i stumbled across some interesting rat research relating to the hyperthermia/neurotoxicity issue a while back.
i'm not sure where i found it, but www.maps.org would be a good place to start looking
smile.gif