Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Uproar over hemp lollipops

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
'Drug' lollies uproar
by Grant Woodward, Leeds Today
Sat, 14 February 2004

TRADING standards bosses are to push for the outlawing of "cannabis lollies" on sale in Leeds sweet shops.

Angry parents called for the sweets to be banned after spotting them on the shelves of several city shops.

But tests have shown the hemp lollipops are legal as they do not contain the active ingredient of cannabis, the narcotic chemical THC.

Officers from West Yorkshire Trading Standards will now be asking food watchdogs for a change in the law.

The service's Andrew Bibby said: "Results from the laboratory have shown that there are no active cannabis ingredients in the lollies.

"That means they are technically legal – but we don't feel they send out the right message.

"I will be telling the Food Standards Agency that there is nothing we can do about them, but they may want to look at this product with a view to amending legislation to making it illegal."

The sweets – which are bright green and come in tubs bearing cannabis leaf designs – are made in Germany.

Mr Bibby said those in West Yorkshire were supplied by a wholesaler in Bradford who has been asked to withdraw them from sale.

He said: "I have contacted him and we now know that they come from London.

"We need to trace them back to the importer and from there to the manufacturer."

Irresponsible

Anti-drugs campaigners branded the lollies "totally irresponsible".

Sally Robinson, from Leeds Drug Action Team, said: "Regardless of whether they contain cannabis or not, it is still wrong and very damaging.

"By and large it is eight and nine-year-olds who buy lollies and this sort of thing could give drugs some sort of credibility in their eyes."

Link

What exactly is the point of including hemp in suckers? I mean come on, does it do ANYTHING? Weren't suckers just fine without hemp in them before? I'm completely lost.

They sell better, and let kids act all cool, and let hippies act all: "Wooooah, it's like... naaaaatural man!" =D

It's the same thing with all those hemp sodas and hemp beers and hemp schoolbags and hemp chocolates and hemp rolling papers and hemp surface-to-air missile systems, etc. etc..

--- G.

lol @ surface-to-air missile! :D

hippie bomb

Morrison's Lament said:
They sell better, and let kids act all cool, and let hippies act all: "Wooooah, it's like... naaaaatural man!" =D

It's the same thing with all those hemp sodas and hemp beers and hemp schoolbags and hemp chocolates and hemp rolling papers and hemp surface-to-air missile systems, etc. etc..

--- G.

Know who else used hemp?

oh, what i wanted to say was -

these lollies have been for sale for aaaaages. i do wish the WYTC and the Leeds Drug Action people the best of luck in their attempts to ban this substance - but it is unlikely.

after all, you can buy toy guns for any child.

"That means they are technically legal – but we don't feel they send out the right message.

That phrase is kind of scary, since when are governments supposed to regulate things just because they think it sends out a "bad" fucking message, maybe thoughts next to be regulated?
FUCK whoever was quoted as saying that.

Can a lolly send a message?

In a controlled lab experiment, a team of scientist and engineers at Hempen University have learned that lollys appear not to be able to send messages.

Over several weeks, lollys were placed in a controlled environment and given various phone and pager numbers, email accounts and access to stationery and postage stamps. Following a period of carefull monitoring, the team failed to detect any message, or attempted message from the lollys. In the second phase of the study, volunteers spent time in the room with the lollys (one group was first introduced to the lollys by name) observing for signs of any sound or movement from the lollys that might have been an attempt at message sending. None was observed. In the final phase of the study, the volunteers gave messages to the lollys to see if a response could be triggered. During this phase, a single volunteer thought she heard a lolly send the message "Damned straight" in response to her message "Do these jeans make my arse look big?". However a review of the videotape of the experiment revealed that message actually originated from one of the other volunteers.

Results will be published in the Journal of Irreproducable Results later this year, following a fucking-sight better peer review process than Science seems to be able to manage.

B