• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Girl's death used in anti-drugs campaign may not have been overdose (Updated 10/4/06)

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
Girl's death used in anti-drugs campaign may not have been overdose (UPDATED)

Story from
BBC News

The body of heroin addict Rachel Whitear is to be exhumed as part of the reinvestigation into her death.
A photo of the 21-year-old's dead body showing her crouching face down with a syringe in her hand was released as a warning of the dangers of drugs.

Her death in Exmouth, Devon, four years ago was presumed to be an overdose, but no post-mortem examination was done.

A blood test later revealed there was not enough heroin in the student's blood to kill her.

The coroner recorded an open verdict into her death.

Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Howlett, head of CID at Wiltshire Police, confirmed the decision to dig up Ms Whitear's grave on Friday.

He was joined by her mother and stepfather, Pauline and Mick Holcroft, at a news conference at Hereford racecourse.

Reading from a statement, Mr Holcroft said: "This has obviously been a very difficult few years for Pauline, myself and our family, culminating in today's announcement.

"Nothing can prepare a family for this.

"Although we are enormously saddened, we are coming to terms with the fact that an exhumation of Rachel's body is necessary."

The couple, from Withington in Herefordshire, have been critical of the Devon and Cornwall Police investigation into their daughter's death.

Wiltshire Police took over the inquiry after it was voluntarily referred to the Police Complaints Authority.

As part of their investigation, two officers flew to Greece to speak to Ms Whitear's drugs counsellor, one of the last people to see her alive.

Asked for her reaction to the decision to exhume her daughter's body, Mrs Holcroft replied: "It is very upsetting.

"All we really want is a closure on it, but we know that may never happen.

"This is an opportunity to find out. It is difficult to live not knowing or understanding what your daughter died from." Mr Holcroft added: "In the search for the truth, it is absolutely necessary."

Mr Howlett said he was unable to give a cause of death with any certainty because a post mortem examination had not been carried out.

Heroin in syringe

A forensic medical expert has now said that carrying out such a procedure could help to give a cause of death, despite the passage of time.

Asked if there was heroin in the syringe she was clutching when her body was discovered, he said: "I think it is inconclusive at this time."

Two men from the Midlands were arrested in connection with Ms Whitear's death last year.

The PCA confirmed in October that neither would face any charges.

No date has been set for the exhumation of Ms Whitear's body, which is buried at St Peter's church in Withington.

Published: 2004/02/13 18:12:49 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not from GB, but this sort of tactic seems to be universal ... using the tragedy of a young life cut short as anti-drug propaganda, and not even bothering to verify the cause of death. Even if this turns out to be nothing after all, I think its quite appalling.

The photo they used in the anti-drug campaign:
_39412530_whitear_death_203.jpg

^ Did her parents really agree to let this anti-drug campaign use that?
The photo makes me sick to my stomach ... it looks like something I'm not supposed to see. It's such a chilling image because it's so unassuming -- it could be anybody's room, and that person could be doing anything. I feel quite disgusting invading the privacy of her death. Her poor parents.

Yeah, I agree. What kind of parents would let the actual image of the daughter's death be used as a propaganda tool?! Talk about a constant reminder!! It just doesn't seem right.

Hell, there was a man in Paignton that drilled into his head with a powerdrill - the cause of death was reported as "cannabis related" - because apparently he had smoked a joint earlier that day!

Small detail they left out - he was a psychotic heroin addict, lol

--- G.

the parents were fully aware and intended for their daughter's tragic death to be used to warn other young people away from drugs.

this is why it's so important that they're actually exhuming her some 4 years after her death - the images from the scene of her death were broadcast widely, on billboards and in schools, and the parents now want to know (rightly) whether or not she actually did OD.

Why does all this shit happen in Devon, anyway? That famous ecstacy death was there as well, and so was the psycho with the powerdrill...

Having lived there, albeit for a short while, I can't say I'm terribly surprised, though ;)

--- G.

i just visited devon for the first time over NYE, with a number of various international bluelighters :D

from what went on in our (tiny, drugged up) part of the county, it seems as though it is a drug-soaked hedonistic territory =D

UPDATE: Exhumation date set

Exhumation date for addict
This is London (from the Evening Standard)
15 March 2004

The body of heroin addict Rachel Whitear is to be exhumed on March 23 as part of a new investigation into her death, police said today.

The remains of the 21-year-old, from Withington, Herefordshire, are likely to be reburied the following day after a post-mortem at Hereford County Hospital, Wiltshire Police said.

The exhumation is part of a re-investigation into the death of the student, whose body was found in a Devon bedsit in May 2000.

It was originally thought that Rachel had died from a fatal drugs overdose, but the re-investigation was launched last year following concerns expressed by her family about the original inquiry carried out by Devon and Cornwall Police.

Speaking at a news conference at Hereford Racecourse, Rachel's parents admitted that the next 10 days would be "some of the toughest" of their lives.

Pauline Holcroft - who allowed photographs of her daughter's corpse to be used in an anti-drugs educational video - said: "The decision to exhume Rachel's body gives us hope, but we are realistic enough to know that it may not bring us any closer to knowing how Rachel died."

Mrs Holcroft said the family "felt deeply" for the forensic experts who will be involved in the grim task of exhuming the body.

"It can't be easy and our thanks go to everyone involved. The next 10 days are going to be some of the toughest we have ever had to face," she added.

"It has taken a long time to get to this stage and time is a healer to many people grieving lost ones.

"For us, however, time has brought nothing but agonising questions and a desire to know the truth, something we regret we may never know."

Link

First time i saw this on TV i didnt think it was a normal H OD. Why? Cause she is holding the syringe in her hand!!!!

Anyone who has witnessed or have od'd on heroin will know you wont end up holding the works in your hand.

^usually when someone IV's an OD amount the syringe stays in your vein, or falls out - there isnt much time to pull it out. Although i am not saying its not in the realms of possibility.

There was something on TV sometime ago saying there were many inconsitencies ie the small amount of opiates found in her blood - when i should have been a lot. Bearing in mind most OD's are from users who have been clean for a while, or have been drinking very heavily b4.

Heroin in syringe

A forensic medical expert has now said that carrying out such a procedure could help to give a cause of death, despite the passage of time.

Asked if there was heroin in the syringe she was clutching when her body was discovered, he said: "I think it is inconclusive at this time."

Does this mean she was holding a loaded rig? Where's her tournequette. I don't know a single girl that can hit a vein without tying off.

^^ Just saw that, it's totally inappropriate ... why would you paint such a thing without even consulting the family. Stupid painting anyhow.

Another update

The initial results of a post-mortem on the body of drug addict Rachel Whitear showed she did not die of a disease or "physical trauma", say police.
On Tuesday a post-mortem examination was carried out on the 21-year-old's body as part of a reinvestigation into her death four years ago.

Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Howlett said it was still possible Miss Whitear's death was drugs-related.

The findings were released on the day her remains were exhumed.

Toxicology tests

Following the post-mortem Miss Whitear's casket was taken back to the church in Withington, Herefordshire, in a hearse for a re-internment ceremony.

Her mother and stepfather, Pauline and Mick Holcroft, were driven back to the church followed by close friends and relatives.

The couple attended a brief reinterment ceremony more than five hours after they witnessed the exhumation.

Mr Howlett said: "There is no evidence to suggest Rachel was murdered as a result of excess force.

"I can state that following the post-mortem there is no evidence to immediately indicate that Rachel died from a natural disease.

"It is also the case that there is no evidence to indicate that Rachel suffered any significant physical trauma that could have accounted for her death.

"It continues to be the case that Rachel's death might have been drug-related.

Open verdict

"It is my hope that there will be greater clarity regarding this possibility when further toxicology tests have been completed which should take about five weeks."

He said the post-mortem had provided Miss Whitear's parents with a "greater understanding of what appears not to be Rachel's cause of death".

Mr and Mrs Holcroft, who were present for the final stages of their daughter's exhumation, thanked Mr Howlett and his team and "all those professionals for the very patient and dignified way they have carried out their difficult task".

Ms Whitear, from Ledbury, Herefordshire, was found dead in a flat in Exmouth in May 2000.

No post-mortem examination was carried out at the time and an inquest into her death recorded an open verdict.

A new inquiry was launched after her mother and stepfather raised concerns about the initial investigation into her death.

link

I don't know a single girl that can hit a vein without tying off.
Out of all the local IV users, haven't seen one guy tie off (some pull thier shirt sleeve tight). 100% of the female IV users I have met have to tied off. Thier veins are much smaller and deeper than males I believe?

I sometimes drop the needle after a large shot of Heroin, I don't possibly see how you can hold onto it if you were ODing... or kneel? I would probably just fall flat on the ground.

Police seek new inquest into drug girl's death
By Daniel Foggo, The Telegraph
August 1, 2004

Detectives investigating the death of Rachel Whitear, a 21-year-old student, are to request a new inquest into her death.

Miss Whitear, who had a long addiction to heroin, became famous posthumously two years ago after her parents allowed the image of her discoloured body, hunched and clutching a syringe, to be used in an anti-drugs video for schools.

A re-investigation of her death was launched last year, however, after an article in The Telegraph highlighted disturbing anomalies in the original inquiry by Devon and Cornwall police.

The new investigation, handled by Wiltshire police, is now due to be wound up after 15 months.

Senior detectives involved in the case are to meet tomorrow with experts including a Home Office pathologist, a toxicologist and forensic scientists. They will discuss their conclusions following the exhumation of Miss Whitear's body last March.

Their findings, which will offer a definite cause of death, will then be presented by the police to Dr Elizabeth Earland, the coroner for Exeter, with a view to re-opening an inquest.

If, as expected, she agrees, it is likely that a jury will be appointed for the hearing.

The original inquest, in December 2000, seven months after Miss Whitear was found in a rented room in Exmouth in Devon, recorded an open verdict.

One of the inadequacies of the first investigation was that a failure to carry out an autopsy meant that the reason for Miss Whitear's death could not be pinpointed.

The only blood samples that were taken from her body showed heroin levels too low to kill, which led Richard Van Oppen, the coroner at the time, to state that he was certain she had not died from an overdose.

The circumstances of her death were further confused by the fact that her boyfriend, Luke Fitzgerald, lied to the police about his last contacts with Miss Whitear, who had split with him the day before her death.

Having originally sworn that he had not seen her on the day she died, Mr Fitzgerald later admitted to having been the last person to see her alive.

Mr Fitzgerald, now 29, has maintained that he had nothing to do with her death, but he was arrested, together with another man, a year ago by the police on suspicion of manslaughter. The Crown Prosecution Service, however, later decided not to charge him.

It is now highly likely that both men will be re-interviewed by the police with a view to providing new statements for the inquest.

Link

Experts meet over exhumed drug addict

Experts meet over exhumed drug addict
Mon 2 August, 2004

LONDON (Reuters) - Forensic experts have met to discuss what killed a 21-year old heroin addict whose body was exhumed amid doubts that she had died from a drugs overdose.

Shocking images of a lifeless Rachel Whitear, kneeling on a bedsit floor clutching an empty syringe, became infamous after they were used as part of national anti-drugs campaign warning schoolchildren about the dangers of drugs.

Whitear, a talented sportswoman and accomplished pianist, was originally thought to have succumbed to a drugs overdose at her home in Exmouth in 2000.

No post-mortem was carried out at the time and an inquest recorded an open verdict.

However a fresh investigation into her death was triggered earlier this year after tests showed there would not have been enough drugs in the syringe to have killed her.

Police said forensic scientists along with a Home Office pathologist met on Monday to examine the results of tests on her exhumed body.

"The purpose of this meeting is to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to identify a cause of Rachel's death," said Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Howlett.

Following the meeting, a report will be sent to the coroner and Whitear's parents will be kept informed of any developments, he added.

A press conference will be held on Tuesday when the results of the meeting will be made public.

Whitear, whose appearance in the 2002 anti-drugs campaign made her virtually a household name, was also the subject of a controversial painting exhibited in London's Saatchi Gallery.

A "shock art" portrait by artist Stella Vine showed a young Rachel, as if in a school photograph, with blood trickling from her mouth.

Link

Whitear died of heroin overdose, say police
By Jason Bennetto, Crime Correspondent, The Independent
04 August 2004

A heroin overdose was to blame for the death of Rachel Whitear, the 21-year-old woman used in a controversial anti-drugs campaign, a new police inquiry has found.

A second investigation was ordered after Ms Whitear's parents criticised the original inquiry and raised concerns that their daughter may have been murdered.

The case gained notoriety when photographs of her bloated body were allowed to be used in an anti-drugs campaign.

Detective Chief Super-intendent Paul Howlett, who is in charge of the new inquiry, said yesterday that there was no evidence of the involvement of a third party. Instead, he said Ms Whitear's death was "heroin-related".

As part of his inquiry the remains of Ms Whitear were exhumed in March and a post-mortem examination carried out. This was not done following the discovery of her body.

New toxicology tests are understood to have found higher levels of heroin than originally detected. Forensic experts believe the fatal overdose occurred because Ms Whitear had stopped taking drugs in the weeks before her death, which resulted in her tolerance level to heroin being greatly reduced. A new inquest is now expected to be ordered.

Ms Whitear's parents have expressed support for the new inquiry being carried out by Wiltshire Constabulary, under the supervision of the independent Police Complaints Commission.

A report on the first inquiry is due in November.

Link