• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Beyond Ephedra

BA

Bluelight Crew
It’s only been a few weeks since the Food and Drug Administration announced the ban on products containing the herb ephedra, but the health food industry has hardly skipped a beat. As a substitute for ephedra in its weight loss and energy boosting supplements, it has begun using such stimulants as green tea extract and bitter orange.

That is cause for alarm. In the January issue of Consumer Reports, for example, medical consultants warned that green tea extract, especially combined with caffeine and other stimulants, can cause a host of minor and possibly major ills. Even worse, bitter orange can have effects similar to those caused by ephedra, which elevates blood pressure, stresses the nervous system, and has been responsible for a hundred-odd deaths and thousands of strokes and heart attacks.

How can the health foods industry switch, willy-nilly and with such impunity, to other stimulants that also pose dangers to consumers? Why can’t the FDA, especially with its current activist commissioner, Dr. Mark McClellan, act further to protect the public?

The answer lies in ill-conceived and reprehensible legislation approved by Congress in 1994 after a massive lobbying campaign by the health food industry. It’s called the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) and, as I’ve written before, it gives the industry virtually free reign to market products defined as “dietary supplements,” while severely limiting the FDA’s ability to regulate them.

Included under the act’s definition of dietary supplements are such widely divergent substances as vitamins, minerals, herbs or other botanicals, amino acids or any extract or combination of them. Unlike the standards for drugs, DSHEA requires no proof from the industry of the safety or effectiveness of these products, nor the reporting of any adverse effects on consumers. Indeed, it bars the FDA from taking any decisive action until, in effect, consumers begin dropping dead. Even then, the FDA must overcome some formidable obstacles before it can act.

Ephedra is a case in point. Although its dangers have been evident for years, the FDA’s recent ban of the herb is the first such action the agency has been able to take in the decade since enactment of DSHEA, an act that the New York Times bluntly characterizes as “a formula for covering up problems and ensuring regulatory inaction.”

This harmful and duplicitous legislation was co-sponsored by Utah Senator Orin Hatch, who has been rewarded with nearly $140,000 in campaign contributions from the health food industry, and Representative Bill Richardson, now governor or New Mexico. As recently as 1999, Hatch opposed an FDA proposal that for safety reasons would have allowed ephedra to be sold only in doses of eight milligrams or less.

A few courageous legislators have withstood the health industry’s blandishments and taken at least baby steps to modify DSHEA. Illinois Senator Richard Durbin has introduced a bill that would give the FDA more power to regulate stimulants and untested steroid equivalents. It would also require manufacturers to report any adverse reactions to the supplements among consumers. In the House, Michigan’s John Dingell and California’s Henry Waxman have proposed legislation that would give the FDA greater clout in ensuring that supplements are safe and that would also require manufacturers to report consumer ills.

Neither of these bills addresses the fact that many of the dietary supplements, while not dangerous, have absolutely no beneficial effects. Yet American consumers, lured by subtle advertising, have been bilked out of billions of dollars spent for worthless potions.

Where is the outrage? And where are the Congressmen with guts enough to demand that the burden of proof be transferred from the FDA to the dietary supplement industry, and that before a dietary supplement is marketed, its manufacturer must prove its safety and effectiveness to the FDA?

A logical proponent of such legislation would be Tennessee’s Bill Frist, who is an M.D., is the Senate Majority Leader, is thought to have Presidential aspirations, and who certainly must be all too aware of the hypocritical and unjust provisions of DSHEA.

Senator Frist, can you hear me now?

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/jaroff/article/0,9565,589533,00.html
2-10-04

So let me get this straight? The author of the article wants the FDA to ban MORE drugs?

Wouldn't it be best to let the consumers decide what they put into their own bodies? That way those who choose to injest massive doses of stimulants despite numerous label warnings not to can accept SOME personal responsibility?

Why can’t the FDA, especially with its current activist commissioner, Dr. Mark McClellan, act further to protect the public
Why on earth would anybody want a large beaurocratic federal organization to protect them from their own stupidity? I'd rather trust myself as I consider myself somewhat more intelligent than the FDA. Additionally the FDA is fueled by lobbyist money (see the pharmaceutical industry), so I highly doubt their only motive is the interests of consumers.

American consumers, lured by subtle advertising, have been bilked out of billions of dollars spent for worthless potions.
A fool and his money are soon parted! I really don't think its the place of the government to prevent this by banning the sale of products, when instead the same amount of (or much less) money spent on education would be MUCH more beneficial.

well put ^

does this article really belong here?...I bet 95% of us would take the opposite slant.

MockTurtle said:
does this article really belong here?...I bet 95% of us would take the opposite slant.

the word biased comes to mind when I hear that.... 8)

I didn't write the article, just goes to show you what journalists and the media present as a "report."

EPHEDRA WASN'T BANNED! WHA' THE FUCK YOU TALKING ABOUT, BRAH?

I think you hail from that land of news media hype.....

Screw the FDA :X I wont be able to buy ephedra anymore because a few morons abused it and died and yet how many thousands of deaths are caused from being overweight and yet i dont see the FDA trying to ban candy bars, or how about the god damn trans fatty acids that are in almost every single product at the grocery stores. I dont see them trying to ban that either! Of course as usual it always has to do with the good ole $$$$$$$$$$

Wow, there are certainly some bent out of shape people in this thread..