• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Gambling, gods and LSD

karmacoma

Bluelighter
Has anyone seen this? I hear it's amazing and I'm going to see it this weekend, but just wondered if anyone can tell me more about it before I go.

Last edited:
planning on seeing it as well, its 180 minutes but i hear it is good, the title refers to just 3 of the methods used for transcending, others include cricket, lol , sounds like a blast

I enjoyed this but did think it was a bit overlong – they could have edited 30 mins out quite easily and I think it would’ve been a better film for it. My other crit is that the title was ill conceived – there really isn’t much gambling or LSD in it at all. In fact, if they’d called it God, Smack and Poodle Racing it would’ve been more accurate (and a better title!). The LSD bit is just an interview with Albert Hoffman - who invented it - which is not very long and doesn’t add much to the rest of the film. Still interesting, but didn’t say anything about the whole hippy counter-culture it helped to create. And I’d have liked to have seen more about gambling too, which is a huge area of possibilities and shouldn’t be limited to just a few people playing cards.

But putting aside the thematic shortcomings, there’s much to like about this movie. Some interesting interviews, some very funny moments, generally thought-provoking and spiritual. Thankfully it wasn’t pushing any agenda or point of view, other than demonstrating that the world’s a pretty diverse place but humans are fundamentally similar in their desires to understand it/themselves and/or escape it/themselves. I liked how it began in Canada with a religious festival and ended in India at another religious festival. There’s a tendency in the west to view all things eastern as somehow more spiritually enriched and enlightened, offering more valid forms of worship. This film subtly and without comment demonstrates what patent nonsense that stereotypical view is – the fact is that that one form of spiritual or religious experience can be just as rewarding as any other, it’s just the paraphernalia and rituals that are different.