Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 12 Arrested over $20 million marijuana crop

jazyk

Bluelighter
Police say they have seized at least $20 million worth of marijuana in the state's central west, making it one of the biggest seizures in New South Wales.

More than 200 police raided a property near Dubbo this morning, seizing bushes in a plantation roughly the size of three football fields.

Twelve people are in custody and are being questioned at the Dubbo police station.

NSW Police Commissioner Ken Maroney says the arrests are the result of a lengthy undercover operation.

"The seizure of this particular crop on a private property is one of the largest seizures of marijuana in this state, and I believe in this country and certainly one of the largest seizures in the last 25 years in this state," he said.

whoa momma. :\

this reminds me of the last big bust near bombala in nsw. i remember an exact quote (no joke) from the newspaper being something like "it took 20 police to dig up the 12,800 cannabis plants and 30 police to burn them all".
imagine standing upwind of 12,800 2m tall plants being burnt.

no one was arrested for that one though, pretty cool the whole place was setup on auto-watering system etc. only spotted by a helicopter going over.

Last edited:
I heard on the radio that they also have destroyed the crop. I wonder how...

jazyk said:
"it took 20 police to dig up the 12,800 cannabis plants and 30 police to burn them all".

How many to change a lightbulb?

Hahaha, holy fuck - imagine waking up to 200 police on your property.

I can only imagine what this is going to do to the poor Sydney bongheads who pay ridiculous amounts for their bud as it is already.

res said:
I can only imagine what this is going to do to the poor Sydney bongheads who pay ridiculous amounts for their bud as it is already.

Probably not much, it was probably their first crop. Plantations that size won't last for long that's for sure.

Okay, I can only Imagine _what_ this would of done if the bud had actually hit the street in Sydney.. :p

Yeh, I saw this on the news last night... and it was ALOT of plants.... I was like OMFG!!

res said:
Okay, I can only Imagine _what_ this would of done if the bud had actually hit the street in Sydney.. :p

Prices would have gone down. :)

Am I being a smart ass. :\

prices wouldnt have gone down it would have been a drop in the ocean.

im more worried about the bust between adelaide, melbourne and italy.

imported shit is already hard enough to come by without them keeping on knocking out the middle men who actually move the shit

Police raid $50m marijuana crop
By Martin Chulov
January 30, 2004

NOT since the days when the NSW Riverina was awash with marijuana have police found a plantation to match the haul they unveiled in isolated woodland near Dubbo yesterday.

In a throwback to when the Mafia ran a feudal carve-up of dope grown near Griffith and supplied the eastern seaboard in the late 1970s, more than 30,000 plants with an estimated value of $50 million were seized for destruction in a day-long harvest.

The similarities extend beyond the size of the operations. The Dubbo booty was also the yield of a highly organised and professional syndicate, one which probably dominates the dope trade in Sydney and the other eastern capitals.

It was within striking distance of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, close to a junction of main highways that service thousands of semi-trailers daily.

A total of 12 people were arrested shortly after 6am, among them sentries, crop keepers and three alleged ringleaders.

The plantation had remained undetected largely due to an extensive camouflage operation involving canopies which made it hard to spot the plants even with low, slow flyovers.

"Most of the plants seized today were at the most valuable growth stage," NSW Police Drug Squad commander, Detective Superintendent Paul Jones, said.

"They had put in pumps, set up tanks and gone to an enormous amount of work."

Yesterday afternoon, up to 200 officers were hauling metre-high plants from the ground before poisoning them and piling them up for burning over the weekend.

To do that, police must first be granted an exemption from the total fire ban enforced around Dubbo, which has missed widespread rains that have left all the western rivers in flood.

Superintendent Jones said the markets for marijuana throughout NSW and Victoria would be significantly disrupted by the bust.

"This is a very large crop, and when we take these sorts of players and quantities out of the market we would be disappointed if it didn't make a significant impact.

"Where it was going to end up is something we will look at down the track."

One firearm was seized on the property and police are exploring links between this operation and other elements of organised crime.

Superintendent Jones confirmed that at least two of the men arrested were likely to face trafficking charges that carry life prison terms.

Twenty-five years ago, Griffith, about 400 kilometres south of Dubbo, was the centre of a brutal and lucrative Mafia-based drug war. Like Dubbo, the dope was secreted in state forests and canopied private properties that could not be detected from the air.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8532339%5E421,00.html

Second bust, bigger than Dubbo, in 2 days.

The Age quotes $20 million, the Herald Sun quotes $50...so which one was it???

On the news they showed all these camouflage/army type cops with big guns staking the place out over night, then a shitload of cop cars rolled up at daybreak in their cars, I think they said something like a procession a kilometre or so long? Anyway it was a bit much, all for a bit of pot, don't they have better things to do

they've probably had the place ready to 'go' for quite some time.. what i reckon's happened (conspiracy theory #1), is that the police copped so much flack from the BDO debacle, that they've gone "we need some good press now! is that plantation out at dubbo still going? we'll raid that!"

shifting the attention of the general public is what they're doing! politics vs policework!

These plants are dead, yet their value continues to grow.

$20 million

$50 million

DO I HEAR $60 MILLION

yes i do, as of this mornings Newcastle Herald!

What is going on here, i'm not sure if its just me, or do the NSW police force and/or the press in this country seem to have a problem with maths. It irritates me to see this sort of stuff, every time there is any sort of bust, the numbers are inflated beyond belief, or as in this case, the numbers grow. I think this is presenting them with a bit of a credibilty problem (like they didn't have one already), and its only a matter of time before the general public cottons on to this (we can hope).