• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ecstasy should be downgraded, says drugs expert

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
The leading scientist who advised the (UK) Government it was safe to downgrade cannabis to a class C drug yesterday called on ministers to change the laws on ecstasy.

Professor David Nutt, who is a senior member of the drugs panel which recommended cannabis reclassification, said grouping ecstasy in the same high-risk category as heroin and cocaine was misleading for users.

"Ecstasy is not a class A drug. It shouldn't be," said Professor Nutt, of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs and chairman of its technical committee that concluded that cannabis did not pose the same risks as other class B drugs.

David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, says he has no plans to relax the laws on ecstasy, and last year three leading psychologists provoked an outcry after claiming there was no conclusive evidence that ecstasy damages the brain.

The Independent on Sunday has learnt that the council, which advises the Home Secretary on the risks of drug use, is carrying out a full review of the classification system.

Professor Nutt's commentscome less than a week before cannabis is reclassified from a class B to a class C drug. From Thursday, officers will only arrest people found with the drug in extreme circumstances, for example if a user repeatedly offends.

Professor Nutt said many of the concerns over cannabis law reform were based on "misconceptions and prejudice".

"Four years ago everyone was saying we were not going far enough. Then everyone was very positive and a month before the legislation everyone discovers cannabis is a deadly toxin," Professor Nutt said.

"Almost nothing has changed. This thing about it might cause schizophrenia - that is still a possibility but that is not a reason for not reclassifying, it's a reason for making sure people are aware of the dangers."

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ecstasy should be downgraded, says drugs expert
By Sophie Goodchild, Home Affairs Correspondent
25 January 2004

Source

Last edited:
nice work, take the focus off cannabis and shift it to ecstasy so it's harder to scare people before legislation

learnt ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lûrnt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of learn.

maybe this desicion will bring into question if cannabis should even be Class C, when this crackhead is making statements like this.

Crackhead ? I though UK ppl would be happy about such turn of events.

8(

The man has a point though :)
Ecstacy should be downgraded to class B with speed (amphetamine sulphate)

silverfucked said:
is learnt a word?

yea man. i guess it is. a lot of my college professors who are foreign especially from like russia or the uk use "LEARNT" instead of learned.

Crazeee said:
Crackhead ? I though UK ppl would be happy about such turn of events.

8(
I don't understand the resposes either. This guy is on a government panel, and is taking a stand in favor of downgrading Ecstasy from a class B to a class C drug.

I'd love it if someone in our government would do that.

yeah you might be happy about it, but does it make sense? i hardly think so. i agree with less penaltys and such, but this is a HARD drug with pretty hefty side effects, and a decent amount of abuse amongst people.

I think it makes sense. It allows scientists and psychiatrists more room to move for experiments and therapy.

I don't understand the resposes either. This guy is on a government panel, and is taking a stand in favor of downgrading Ecstasy from a class B to a class C drug.

I'd love it if someone in our government would do that.
From what I gathered from the article, Ecstasy actually a Class A drug, and the expert in question has only said that it shouldn't be classed as a Class A drug. He's not really said anything about what it should be classed. :)

In next weeks news: "Professor David Nutt says heroin should be downgraded: not as addictive as first thought..."

"Almost nothing has changed. This thing about it might cause schizophrenia - that is still a possibility but that is not a reason for not reclassifying, it's a reason for making sure people are aware of the dangers."

Huh.......? Wait, so I can become schizophrenic from smoking pot? Ummmm

Cannabis is known to trigger psychotic episodes - I think this has been pretty much proven as fact by now.