PDA

View Full Version : (television) The Sopranos

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

randycaver
24-01-2004, 17:23
I've just been recently watching this on DVD, and I was surprised to see that there were no threads "appreciating" it. Or hating it, whichever.

What are people's opinions on the show? So far I'm on the third disk/disc?? of the first season.

I really like it. I used to watch it back when I had HBO but that was years ago and many brain cells ago, so I forgot most of it :)

I can't wait until Tony's mother dies.. I remember that episode only because it was really creepy... I think they used images of her to have her still be alive in the last episode or something like that.

SO...... i hope im not the only one that knows of this show here!:D

E-llusion
24-01-2004, 18:05
To quote Tony:

"What Da' Fuck "

??

No one likes my series ?

=D

Best episode was when chris (all doped up) and tony were chopping up their best buddy in a bath tub. Pretty graphic for National Tv I'd say.

LapDawg
25-01-2004, 05:16
I'm sure there have been appreciation threads for this show in the past...it's just that there were no new episodes last year. I'm sure there will be more discussion come March. :D

alasdairm
25-01-2004, 06:09
i'm a huge fan of the sopranos. everything about it screams quality: the writing, the direction, the acting.

i've seen all episodes to the end of season 4 (thanks netflix :) ) and i would say my favourite episodes are the back-to-back 'pine barrens' and 'amour fou' (series 3, episodes 11 and 12). 'pine barrens' was directed by steve buscemi.

alasdair

L O V E L I F E
25-01-2004, 10:40
^^^^^

Agreed on Pine Barrens - it's my second favorite episode ever.

Second only to Season Four's finale . . .

. . . the episode that clinched Emmys (Emmies?) for its two deserving stars.

Best show in the history of television.

Can't wait 'till March.

Roll munchEr
25-01-2004, 18:59
The Pine Barrens was fucking HILARIOUS!!!!! Some of the best quotes came from that episode!! The show is Great nothing like it on t.v.!!!!! I can quote that episode all day!

onetwothreefour
26-01-2004, 05:39
yep, it's gotta be one of the best shows on television. i've only got the first season on dvd at the moment (and have caught other episodes here and there), but i'm planning on getting the rest soon enough. it's probably one of the best first seasons of television i've ever seen, so i can't wait for the rest.

Giovi9
26-01-2004, 19:09
"Chrissy your not gonna believe this, the russian was a interior decorator"

"Really? His apartment looked like shit"

LapDawg
27-01-2004, 05:46
while we're quoting...

"Oh didn't you know? Uncle Junior's in the muff. Oh did I say muff? I meant rough."

randycaver
27-01-2004, 05:49
[email protected] quote

that was so hilarious! [email protected] not wanting his own dirty little secret get out too :)

Daimo
27-01-2004, 07:05
I've got all 4 seasons on DVD - it's my favourite TV show......

On the HBO site (i think it was) there was a pic of Steve Buscemi WITH the rest of the cast - so he could be joining the show? - Im only speculating because I haven't seen/read proof - anyone else with any, please help out!

I also read that the Sopranos is going to finish after the 6th season:( - with rumours that Tony isn't going to die....

killarava2day
27-01-2004, 13:27
Best show ever! I can't get enough it. Oh how i yearn for season five, although being a backwater antipodean I can't expect to see it on TV for at least a year after the US, probably come out on DVD before then 8(

My favourite quote: "You're always on about the babies out the windows."

Daimo
28-01-2004, 12:55
It wont come out in Australia until after the entire season has been shown on TV - then allow up to 6 months... mabye in time for XMAS 04 - Season 4 was released here just b4 XMAS 03

Roll munchEr
29-01-2004, 00:29
"I lost my shoe" Paulie
"Fuck you Paulie,Captain or no captain, were just 2 lost guys in the woods" Christopher

Snakecharmer
29-01-2004, 01:56
I'm almost positive Steve Bushemi (sp?) is a character on this next season's show. Too bad I don't get HBO...I hate having to travel to other's houses, it just ain't the same.

rah
29-01-2004, 03:03
it shows too much of the family side and not enough business to hold my love, sometimes i think im watching 7th heaven, but that's the show and it does it well. Steve bushemi? cool, he better play some crazy psycho :)

E-llusion
29-01-2004, 04:36
^^ I agree partially. They invented a new genre of show "Gangster Soap- Opera" You can really tell they were running short on material and were stretching some of the episodes really bad just to fit the weekly timeslot.

Still, overall , good show.

onetwothreefour
29-01-2004, 06:09
it's gonna be damn good when i get to cram like five seasons of this show into a few weeks when i get the dvds. and it's "buscemi", and i've heard the same thing, i think it's true :)

Giovi9
29-01-2004, 08:44
Steve Buscemi has inked a deal to be on the show for the next 2 years. (maybe the final 2 years?) He even will direct a few eps. Since he did such a great job directing one of the most talked about eps "Pine Barrens" I am sure he will do just fine.

Daimo
30-01-2004, 08:28
I read the interview on the HBO website with James Gandolfini - he said it was finishing after 6 seasons. I assumed Steve was joining the cast as he was pictured with them (although I could not find any further information about it). I think the final 2 seasons will see a lot more dark humour (Buscemi style) - even if he isn't directing, he will still have a substantial amount of creative (genius imo) input.

killarava2day
30-01-2004, 10:21
I saw an interview with david Chase, on the DVD extras, where he was talking about psychedelics and how he used to truly believe they would change the world. You can certainally see the influence shining through in his work.

Morrison's Lament
31-01-2004, 19:35
LOL, for one second I read that as "Chevy Chase" - David Chase makes a lot more sense =D

--- G.

nixy
31-01-2004, 20:01
i can't wait for season 5!

shezinphx
01-02-2004, 05:01
Wonder where Tony's going? I felt really bad for Carmella.

greenjam80
01-02-2004, 21:48
"she got a 90 pound mole removed from her ass" lol that was funny shit...

randycaver
25-02-2004, 16:35
meadow = Jamie Lynn Discala? I thought her name was jamie lynn sigler before.. did i screw that up or did she get married?

anybody know?

tbone190
25-02-2004, 19:21
I think she got married.

Giovi9
25-02-2004, 23:13
Yep she got married.
This next season we are no doubt going to war with new york. Last season dealt more with Tonys home life but this season is back to bizz.
Johnny Sack is still pissed for Tony not going along with the hit on Carmine. Also that old jew Hesh is going to be back this year. I always liked his character he was good friends with Tonys dad and Tony goes to him for advice. This season should be awesome especially with Buscemi coming aboard.

WILL THE RUSSIAN EVER COME OUT OF THE FUCKIN WOODS! :)

karmacoma
26-02-2004, 11:54
Heard a live radio interview with David Lee Roth yesterday in which he revealed he's just finished shooting a Sopranos episode.

"You smell like Paco Rabanne just crawled up your ass"

randycaver
26-02-2004, 17:02
just a reminder to please be careful to note spoilers..

i still haven't seen the entire 4th season

hannibal957
27-02-2004, 00:55
The sopranos is one of the greatest shows ever... gives me losts of ideas... :D

randycaver
29-02-2004, 23:33
ok, i just finished the 4th season, and watched the trailers.

WOW!

randycaver
07-03-2004, 20:17
bump, because New season starts tonight!!!

BA
07-03-2004, 20:19
It's crazy to think what HBO might throw into this season, and how they're going to span out a sixth season, too.

I'm going to make one prediction:

Christopher somehow catches Adriana feeding the agents information and he kills her for it.

randycaver
07-03-2004, 20:22
Its too bad, because Adriana has been giving the agents shit. It's not like she knows much, or ever has...

I predict that Tony and Dr. Melfi expand their relationship.

Or at least, I hope they do

but I also hope that Tony and Carmella get back together... I dont want them to be estranged! :(

digitalch0ke
07-03-2004, 20:26
Ah I think Tony is going to kill Adriana, Chris finds out and whacks Tony and then AJ whacks Christopher and takes over the family business.

That'd be sweet.

randycaver
07-03-2004, 20:30
Yeah, I don't think that's even remotely likely.

hannibal957
08-03-2004, 01:03
i still havent seen all of the forth season... but hopefully ill pick it up off my friend... im happy that the new season starts... even though i dont have HBO... so it will be back to their website reading the summery of the show...:)

DemonsFall
08-03-2004, 02:08
It surprised me how many people I know that didnt like the 4th season. I prefer the earlier episodes myself, but I didn't really consider the 4th season to be dissapointing. It switched the focus a lot from business to home life, but I never really thought that was a bad thing. I dunno.

The new season looks to be pretty kick ass though. I saw the previews for it last weekend. I hadn't even been thinking of it before then but im glad I got reminded. No show on TV can touch Sopranos IMO.

digitalch0ke
08-03-2004, 07:27
How is that not remotely possible?

Anythings possible with David Chase. Thats the beauty of the Sopranos.

OperatesHeavyMachinery
08-03-2004, 09:19
So far, so good! =D

Daimo
08-03-2004, 11:53
Sopranos' mesmerizing in fifth season

YOU won't see Tony Soprano walking down his driveway to pick up his morning edition of the Newark Star Ledger as he's done every episode of the last four seasons.

Things have changed since last we saw "The Sopranos" back in December 2002.

Tony doesn't live with the family anymore. Since the mob boss (James Gandolfini) and his wife Carmela (Edie Falco) split, Tony's been living in his deceased mom's house. Carmela's struggling to become the person she wants to be -- not the mob boss wife, but someone more refined. Falco's always been a presence to be reckoned with, but this season she's got a meatier role.

Carmela's a woman who has made many moral compromises in her life, but she still thinks of herself as basically a good person. And she wants to be a better one. We won't bet the house on it.

Not only is Tony's personal life in chaos, but things are shaky on the professional front. "Sopranos" creator David Chase says he was reading about all the organized crime figures who were put in jail in the 1980s. Federal agents boasted they had broken the back of the Mafia in a series of highly publicized RICO cases.

"I read an article that a lot of those guys are now getting out of jail. They've now served their time, and they are hitting the

streets again," Chase says

during a recent interview. "So the show begins with what we call the Mafia Class of 2004 hitting the streets."

And they hit the streets hard.

The genius of Chase and his cast is taking essentially despicable characters and making them mesmerizing, episode after episode. The layered characters offer humor, intensity and human nature in its most raw form. It's the closest thing to Shakespeare we've seen in contemporary times.

The tortured Tony yearns to be someone different, someone better. But, as the clich goes, a leopard can't hide its spots. After some body-thumping with his nameless mistress du jour, Tony sees "The Prince of Tides" on TV and fantasizes being with his former psychologist Dr. Melfi (Lorraine Bracco).

He sends her a cute basket with a box of Tide in it to get her attention. But even though she has her own Tony fantasies, she realizes they cannot be more than doctor-patient. After a blow-up in which she tells him she can never have a romantic relationship with him because she knows all the bad things he's done, and he calls her an anatomical term no woman should be called, Tony sends her a card apologizing for his "fowl language."

As for Uncle Junior (Dominic Chianese), the tough old man is facing an unbeatable enemy: Alzheimer's. In one scene, he watches television and sees another actor (fellow bald man Larry David on the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm) thinks he's seeing himself on TV.

Strokes small and large make this series a masterpiece canvas.

Tonight, the fifth season starts with "Two Tonys," which refers not only to Tony Soprano trying to separate himself from his personal life and his dirty career but also to Tony's cousin, Tony Blundetto. Steve Buscemi comes on board as Tony B., who was just climbing up the ranks when he was slammed in jail. Tony S., who couldn't make it to the crime scene that night, dodged the law and became the crime boss.

Now Tony B.'s out and just wants to go straight as a massage therapist, a skill he learned in prison. He's still got a mouth on him, but Tony B. seems to want out of the Wise Guy loop. Or is he just lying low, ready to turn on his cousin?

Veteran actor Joe Santos ("The Rockford Files") and Robert Loggia ("Jagged Edge") play two of the paroled mobsters. While Santos' character would rather spend his remaining years playing with his grandchildren, he's forced back into the business. Loggia's character, Feech, however, is eager to get back into the life.

While the subject matter may be offensive, television doesn't get any better than this show. The blend of humor, pathos, depravity and human desires has never been portrayed in more lyrical fashion. Beyond the splendid writing and acting, there's a cadence of language, a brilliance of direction and photography that pulls you into this story that can only end badly for the principals involved.

The sixth season, which will be an abbreviated 10 episodes rather than the traditional 13, will probably mark the end of this series. Gandolfini has said that playing this tortured character has been difficult for him, and the other cast members seem ready to move on. But the end will not come easy for anyone.

"I've always looked at this show as really trying to get people a lot of bang for their buck, because it's not free. People have to pay for 'The Sopranos,'" Chase says of the HBO program.

"And personally, I've always tried to cram the show just full of this humor, suspense, violence, sex, great rock'n' roll music, cinematography and high production values, ... just cram it as tight as we can and have it be almost bursting with stuff."

Mission accomplished.

courtesy of http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1804~2002516,00.html

E-llusion
08-03-2004, 17:25
So any thoughts on the season 5 premiere eposide ? I dunno, it lacked the usual dark humor and series seems to become more soap-opera like show.

Thoughts ?

KURVE
08-03-2004, 18:09
Buscemi is the man. especially since he's T's cousin. Glad he's on board. Watched the first 15 minutes before i had to leave. Thank goodness for tivo.

inthegame
08-03-2004, 21:14
I have seasons 1-4. I won't be able to catch season 5 until it's over and i buy the dvds, but It's a great show.

I disagree with saying it shows to much home life, i enjoy watching the business aspects more, but the homelife really helps build the characters, especially tony and carmela.

Miss Peks
17-03-2004, 02:52
Hehe I think I'm getting withdrawals from not having seen it for so long. :(

Fav episode would have to be the one in Season 3 where Pauly and Christopher get lost in the snow. Pure GOLD! :D

Daimo
17-03-2004, 07:39
^^ It was Pine Barrens, directed by Steve Buscemi.

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/episode/season3/episode37.shtml

Miss Peks
17-03-2004, 09:13
Hehehe thanks! Now I've got a new background pic, and well I guess I could read up on the seasons if I wanted to.

Belisarius
18-03-2004, 08:18
I've been a fan of the Sopranos for some time, though I sort of fell away from watching late in its last season due to other distractions. The show is great, but there are times it seems a little tired to me--with Tony Soprano and Meadow out of the house, and his mother dead, there is noticeably less (real) family interaction, and it just seems more like another (great) show about the Mob. Going around killing or beating up people is cool, but, I wish there was a little more down-to-Earth interaction.

Nevertheless, I love how the series has such tight story arcs from season to season that you can't help but get drawn up in the suspense. It's just a fantastic show, and I can't even explain why. I'm no film critic.

Giovi9
22-03-2004, 07:55
Okay complainers shit is heating up in jersey!
We got a battle for New York now that Carmine has died of that stroke. Carmines son lil carmine is going against Johnny Sack for the Boss position.
All the cappos are getting out of line.......Chrissy.....Paulie & the new old guy who just got out. Uncle Jun is getting the oldtimers and is running jersey in his slippers. Tony invited a new roommate...of all people Artie Buco? Bobby Bacala needs to slap janice around a lil but she would prolly just shoot him too. And while all this is happening Chrissys fiance Adrianna is finally telling the FBI big things about Tony & even stuff about Chris.
Discuss