Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

drug induced psychosis?

BlackwaterPark

Bluelighter
im wondering if anyone can help me out, im trying to understand how pills triger off psychosis or other mental illnesses.
If pills were to triger off an individual, would it occur instantly or perhaps take a week or more to fully come out? and if one had an underline mental illness would only one pill be needed to bring it out?

I don't know much about mental illness, however I think you can be fairly certain that 1 pill will not bring it out. Its drug binges and abuse that really fuckes with your psyche.

I'm afraid there are no simple answers to your question. Generally speaking, the people I have nursed with psychosis related to drug use have developed the psychotic symptoms either whilst still high, or very shortly afterwards (ie: less than a day). But for some people, it takes a few days of bingeing on drugs to develop psychotic symptoms. This scenario is probably the one I have seen more often - where a few days of intense polysubstance use and hardly any sleep leads to problems.

I haven't seen many people who have a purely drug induced psychosis - most people who get sick after drugs have a history of mental illness. There are exceptions to this though. I have seen at least 2 people with psychotic symtpoms solely related to heavy use of "ecstasy" (untested and unconfirmed), whose symptoms resolved completely when they stayed away from drugs.
and if one had an underline mental illness would only one pill be needed to bring it out?
What is the "underlying illness"? Has the person been unwell before, or what?

Last edited:
there are certain mental illnesses which are totally brought on by recreational drugs.. the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders volume 3 gives 2 example of sudden mental illness brought on by hollucinogens... they are : hallucinogen Hallucinosis and Hallucinogen Delusional Disorder.. these 2 conditions appear to occur suddenly.. there are other related conditions.. more serious forms of psychosis like schitzophrenia tend to have a more gradual onset, however the suffer has no insight into his/her behaivior so its quite hard to tell.. drugs like LSD have been known to trigger of mental illnesses with one dosage.. users have reported continual visuals and distortions days , weeks, months , years after ingestion... set and setting would play a big role...psychiatry and mental health is NOT an exact science.. neither is medicine , but psychiatry in my opinion is still mainly guess work.. to cut a long story short.. never say never.. mental illness is unpredictable.. 1 dosage of anything has set people off before, although rare... if you are anxious, depressed , paranoid to begin with, certain drugs DO make it worse.. my advise is to address your emotional problems first..

Last edited:
It's my experience that I went from a state of mild paranoia to a curled up mess on the floor within about a 2 hour period.

drugs like lsd mimic psycosis, tripping is exactly what it feels like to be psychotic.. but its only a temorary psychosis.. however this is not ALWAYS the case..

Ok, I'm gonna give this one a go cos I've had drug induced psychosis. I had it mildly after smoking too much weed, aparently I had this "wild" look in my eyes and acted like I was on speed the whole time, ie I'de smoke bongs and be speedy. But at the time it was not full blown psychosis, lots of things made it build up, being given acid in a drink etc. What set it off fully was have only 1/4 of a pill. So yes, I pill or less can cause drug induced psychosis, but it would seem to be if you have an underlying medical condition i.e depression, anxiety, depersenalisation, and the rest. I actually know one person who had one and only one joint and went mental 4 bout 3-4 months with mania and has bipolar as a result, the explanation however is that in his family there is a high likelie hood of mental illness occuring at that age that he was (20). Point being, for some, drug induced psychosis can take a long tiome to be reached and others it can be triggered like a light switch. I'm definetly not saying that all drug takers will get it, but my guess would be (and I may well be wrong) that quite a few have potential for developing it whether in absolutely mild for or full blown, but it would seem to be because of underlying med conditions....hope this helps even though it's a ramble....

As we speak I find myself with a mild case of drug induced psychosis, well so im told. It flares up and becomes often uncontrolable when i take any particular substance(pills, k, speed and weed etc..) and find it at its worst when I've deprived my body of sleep. It gets to a point where I don't know whats real and what isn't. Tis a fucking scaring state of mind let me tell you. Mind you i hit it pretty hard for several years and I've got no one to blame but myself. It certainly has opened my eyes and now I'm at the point where I simply can't take anymore.. This is plan to stick to for quite sometime.

Well I think that I've returned to back how I was before the episode, but if you know me that's by no means normal!!

I remember reading somewhere that serotonin is like the accelerator pedal for the brain. All it really does is amplify feelings that are already present. This is why if your amped up for a big night and have a pill you go mental, but if your borderline psychotic then all it's going to do is push you over the edge. Mind you if your struggling to hang onto reality I would strongly suggest against taking anything.

O'll tell you my experience. It was my girlfriends 18th and we got an apartment out in the valley (Brisbane) My drug use over two days was intended only to be about half a gram of speed and about 3 pills and weed but ended up being 2 - 2.5 grams of speed 7 pills and ketamine i had LSD that i was going to also take but the psychosis set in and all i can say is it was the scariest time of my life i thought that everyone was trying to get me the walls were trying to eat me and i could get the voices out of my head. I hadn't slept for about 40 hours and i hadn't eating for that time aswell. The psychosis lasted for about 6 hours and only ended when i finally got to sleep with some help from some benzo's. All i can say is i learnt a very big lesson that weekend and have so much more respect for drugs then i did beforehand. The strange thing is after i slept for 10 hours i felt better then i usually do after only having two pills and speed in a night.

Hey all, its my first time on this side of the world...

Well BlackWater, in my case it was 3 months after I had cmpletely stopped pilling when the effects of a psychotic epissode started. I abused from Jan2002-Oct2002 and felt completely normal for 3 or 4 months after that and THEN the psychosis came on.

Theres meds for evrything nowadays so dont worry if you have to go to the mental ward 2 or 3 times. Just try to avoid excesssive pilling. If you stay at single or double doses max ud be fine coming from me.

For details on what psychosis feels like go to the darkside and click on psychosis&personality change!...

hrm, guys i dont think a drug induced psychosis which last 6 hours counts. this is called a COMEDOWN.

im a heavy weed smoker and have had mental health issues relating to this abuse. i even got on government medical payments (na na na centerlink !) for 3 months. i dont have a history of mental illness in my family. symptoms i had with weed were anxiety feeling all the time, insomina, sweats, headaches. massive depression of course.

also from what i understand drug psychosis isnt when you take drugs and go nutz, its when you arent taking the drugz and are still going nutz.

temp mental illness isnt a fun thing to indure. remember that before your going to drop your 4th or 5th pill.....

oh shit forgot to add, i also get trails alot of the time when im NOT high, esp when i wake up. sometimes not so bad other times everything is a trail.

anyone else get this from smoking weed ? i smoke about 2-3 grams hydro budz a day.

The trails are a bit of a side effect from something called HPPD. There should be some info on it around here somewhere. From memory it's called helucinate perception persistance disorder, or something like that. It's also common to see a fuzz over the world, or if you look out the window and then at your desk you can still see whats out the window, and at night in a dark room it looks like there is static on the walls as if there is a tv on. Hard to explain.

would difficulty sleeping, eratic moodswings and then a full blown psychotic eppisode be caused by the consumption of a pill two weeks earlier?

the syptoms you discribe sound more like the onset of schitzophrenia, which is a psychotic illness.. drug induced psychosis tends to be more of a sudden onset.... as i mentioned above, mental illness is something we are still comming to terms with.. the medical community likes to put labels on people and add science with their techical mombo jumbo, however the truth is we still have no confirmed idea what causes mental illness.. but my advice is to stop doing drugs for awhile , whenever you feel like you are starting to loose your mind.. ie.. paranoia, delusions, mood swings blah blah blah.. this is common sence, because that one pill could send you on a downward spiral into full blown schitzophrenia.. and trust me people.. you dont want that

is schitzophrenia genetic? and could a pill (first pill) have trigured this off, a relotive recently experianced this and as being treated, dr.'s are blaming it on drugs as they have no other explinations for the onset. if this is the cause, does this mean that i may develop schitzophrenia, even though i have been pilling for about a year and have not experianced any of these symptoms as yet?

i've heard that schizophrenia is genetic, and that drugs may set it off if it runs in the family.

so yeh, its probly a good idea to take it easy with the chemicals for a while