Votes: 23 8.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 177 66.8%

• Total voters
I felt that the only anti-drug message was more directed at those who go "too far." It's anti-abuse. Essentially, if any of the characters were moderate users their fates wouldn't have been so horrid.

i did love this movie, definately one of my favourite movies of all time.
the movie is not about drugs whatsoever, it is about the psychological aspects of addiction, and the abuse caused on one's own being, both psychologically, physically and spiritually by abuse and addiction (not just to drugs).
i love how all the characters, while being so fragile and insecure, feed off eachother's insecurities. physix i hate to be an asshole but i personally disagree with your views on the son's exploitation of his mother. it seems like you are getting personal issues involved. the problem of an addiction of any kind should be helped unconditionally, not condemned. this goes for addicition to substances, TV, or anything. in no way does any person deserve to suffer from addiction.
well i'll come post more later, but it's late gotta go now!

Originally posted by Physix Media:

he tells his girl that he called his mom to give her something to look forward to... i DISTINCTLY remember that because it was a turning point for ME in this film... -physix

Hi. That didn't happen.
Don't you remember when Harry visits her and she tells him that she's going to be on and he scoffs at the idea as if it were a scam (which it obviously was).
I can't remember any scene where Harry tells Marion that he wants to give his mother "something to look forward to." I do remember the scene, I think on a pier, where they talk about getting her a TV. But nothing about "something to look forward to."
Maybe you watched a different movie on accident ;)

I agree with cravNbeats. He did scoff at it when she told him. I do not believe he placed the call to his mother. Did he also have time to send her the package she had to fill out? Doubt it.

cravNbeets has it right. I thought I was crazy for not remembering a scene like that from the movie.

I think he gets the money to start selling drugs in the first place by scamming his mom. I could be wrong, but I think that is what physix is talking about.

didn't he steal his moms tv and sell it to a pawn shop (again) or was that earlier and just for regular drug money?

He sells the tv at the beginning of the movie for drugs or whatever. Marion supplies the funds when they start dealing.

they get the money from marion's parents, which buys the smack, which in turn would be sold to fund marion's dress shop.
digging up old threads is my thang...

This was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen... Like it properly disturbed me, for quite a long time afterwards.
I didnt really take it as an anti-drug message.. More so... I just felt like it stripped away my humanity watching it. It made me stop and spend 2 hours watching the worst aspects of being alive, like someone falling into total and utter loss...
I'll never be able to say it was 'good', but it was unquestionably 'brilliant' (imho :p)

Genasirus, that seems to be much of Selby jnr way. He certainly brings out a humaness that you feel empathetic and disturbed by.
I read 'The Room' many years ago and it was a most depressing, head fuck but well done piece.I wouldnt recomend it to anyone in a fragile state of mind but I would still recomend it. Powerful and spooky.
I Had to regain a bit of courage to read another of his 'Songs of the silent snow' even tho the subject matter was depressing the ending was thankfully uplifting.
And yes 'last exit to brooklyn' is also wortwhile.

Oh yes and Requim for a dream, only saw the video once and would say ironic as well as symbolic

Genasirus, I totally agree with you.
It was not a "good" movie in any way, it made me feel positively AWFUL... everything around me seemed worse for days after I watched it, and I locked myself in my room and cried for 2 hours when it was over.. a bit extreme, I guess.
But it was BRILLIANT that they could evict such strong emotions from the viewers. It takes something really special (hate this word..) to do that through the simple viewing of a story, but they pulled it off wonderfully. It really changed my perspective of things for awhile. It made me think about things I had neglected to think about, and I needed that.
I would say it was more of a wake-up-call than an anti-drug movie, for me it was anyway.
^^all of this is my opinion and interpretation, as a final disclaimer :D ^^

I started this thread on Aug. 24th and JSG told me that everyone would turn up their noses. *snicker*

well i am.
it seems like they stole the "t.v. stealing" scenes" from Trainspotting, when the guys are stealing the TV from the old-persons' home.....any thoughts on which part of this movie were *ahem* borrowed from other movies?

thanks for your intelligent and thoughtful response!
its responses like this that keep this great forum up and running!!

Originally posted by justsomeguy:
well i am.
it seems like they stole the "t.v. stealing" scenes" from Trainspotting, when the guys are stealing the TV from the old-persons' home.....any thoughts on which part of this movie were *ahem* borrowed from other movies?

That's a pretty generalized scene to say it was "stolen" from another film. I'd bet money that there are other movies where a couple kids steal a TV for drugs. Besides, in Trainspotting, it was just one of their activities of generating revenue. In Requiem, it was quite a statement to show the mother buying the TV back everytime it was taken.