Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: dogville

Raz

Bluelighter
film: Dogville

Just wondering if people have seen this film and what y'all thought?

It's by Lars Von Trier, the same guy who did Dancer in the Dark.

I find his storytelling technique really interesting...he paints with really broad strokes; in a lot of ways, his characters are fairly one-dimensional in their portrayal, but somehow it works and I became really involved in their story. For example, in Dogville, Grace is the heroine, she's the pure-hearted innocent noble one. For the most part there's not really any explanation as to why she's this way and we don't get to see any real depth beyond this. In a lot of ways, she's not developed any more than your any character in your average Hollywood blockbuster.

Still, I was more affected emotionally by her plight than I have been probably since I saw Dancer in the Dark. I was angry for her, and when the end came along (no spoilers here), I was really sad for her too.

Anyway, there's lots more I liked about it but I really want to hear other people's comments....

--Raz--

given that it uses special effects, i doubt it.

indeed, the movie is not listed on the official list of dogme movies on the dogme 95 website.

alasdair

Naw I don't think Von Triers is doin dogme anymore...

^

anyway, i can appreciate that some people are moved by his work, i still like breaking the waves, but ive been turned off by von trier and vindenberg.

in every interview ive read they have come across as such pompous elitist assholes that i have a hard time believing they actually care about filmmaking, rather than carving out a niche from which to feel more "real"

mmm i still gotta finish watching it..it has some very good acting.

imdb linkie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276919/

dogville.jpg

Dogville = dog crap

Man, how can such a bad movie get made with such critically acclaimed talent?

~psychoblast~

I saw it a little while ago. Can't remember when but it was interesting. I remember it being a bit long for my taste. Kidman seems to be getting better roles. Or something. As a film I dont think it does anything really out there. More of an interesting idea for film and sort of jazz it up. Its a good script though. Its seems comparable to sort of a rural theatre play in that everything is really basic. I think if it was modern and avantgarde - like some sort of twisted psychedelic version of The Experiment or something it could have been
more overtly relevant. I'm not really saying anything at all.

There was some anti-Americanism running through this film if I do remember. Its sort of coming back to me now (a joke). I can see the thumb nose at Hollywood but in reality I think what is sort of sad is that it isn't a masterpiece of film. Its not fresh but sluggish. I don't know if it tries to be but it could have been a really interesting movie. Solaris, the original Russian version, was incredible. A masterpiece. I think its a movie that people will forget about in about 10 years,

^^^ i always really enjoy von trier's films, but you're right: he's quite overtly racist a lot of the time, in many of his films. i'm yet to see this though, but looking forward to it.

I split out all the stuff that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand and moved it to Worst of Bluelight

onetwothreefour said:
^^^ i always really enjoy von trier's films, but you're right: he's quite overtly racist a lot of the time, in many of his films.
Racist, really? I haven't noticed this in his films, can you give some examples?

I saw this on DVD at the weekend and was majorly impressed, in fact I think it's just about the best film I've seen released in 2003. I was put off seeing it earlier in the year at the cinema because of it's length, but watching it at home it didn't seem like a long film at all (mind you it was nice to be able to stop it half way for a break!) and the longer it went on the better it got.

Previously, I also thought the idea of it being all done on a minimal stage set wasn't too interesting, but in fact when I saw it I thought it worked really well. There were some fine performances from a great cast, but von Trier's storytelling and direction make it what it is.

I don't think it's racist at all - it just happens to be set in a fictitious American town. But it does explore the dark side of small insular communities, and America probably has more than it's fair share of those, even today. But the themes in the film are not specific to America - and if any of you have been following in the news the current rape and child abuse trials in the Pitcairn islands, you'll appreciate that and what von Trier is getting at in Dogville.

A definte ***** film for me, this one.

Finally saw this, i purchased the dvd a while back just for von trier, but never made the time.
I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and bittersweet tale. I'll dig up more of this guys work.

btw: i don't remembver arsey being a f&tv mod.