Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Heroin rehab program in doubt

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Heroin rehab program in doubt

23dec03

AN internationally renowned heroin rehabilitation program would close tomorrow if there was no commitment for funding from the government, its manager said today.

The abstinence program near Port Augusta in South Australia's north required a $400,000 commitment from the state government to continue.
The program, operated by Addiction Counselling Services (ADS), treats up to 20 heroin addicts at a time on a three-month live-in basis.

ADS director Mim White said today the program would end tomorrow without the funding.

"We have actually had clients on the bus coming down today and some tomorrow," Ms White said.

"We will just lock the gate, which is tragic, absolutely tragic.

"We need a commitment from the government for $400,000 for 40 clients coming through for 12 months."

Ms White said ADS was seeking to build up its private funding but also needed a commitment for future government funding.

The program, known as Pichi Richi, had treated addicts from Australia and overseas.

Yeah, or 1 of their children and see how they react to Heroin then. Reckon the injecting room would such a bad thing anymore? Reckon all addicts would be dirty still? Just need something to open their eyes up.

lost on the the goldcoast

is there a fit exchange or anything related in this joint.
i arrived here 1hr ago & need to speak to someone who knows something about everything in QLD scene

It makes me sick.
People are very quick to judge an addict, but at least the people in this program were trying to help themselves, and to better their lives and futures.

Ah well, I guess John and wife will be able to afford to take that "business trip" to Honolulu this year now that there is an extra 400K in funds.

:(