Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

New weapon against sex predators

Daimo

Bluelighter
New weapon against sex predators
By Karen Ho

YOU walk back to your table at a club and pick up your drink, but you do not know if it has been spiked while you were gone. Now, there is a way for you to find out.

The credit card-sized Drink Spike Detector, launched this month, can give the answer within seconds.

Just smear a drop or two on a pink and a green spot on the sheet of paper and if either turns dark blue, the drink has been tampered with.

The kit, with four tests, retails at $7.65 in 40 Guardian Pharmacies islandwide.

Each pair of spots can identify two popular illicit party drugs - ketamine and gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), also known as the date rape drug.

Both are colourless, odourless and tasteless and leave no trace after about three days for ketamine and three hours for GHB.

The test, however, does not work on drinks containing fruit juice or milk.

The company which introduced it here, Oky, plans to target nightclubs and pubs, as well as universities, polytechnics and junior colleges.

'Their students frequent nightspots quite a bit, so we thought it would be a good idea to let them know the dangers of leaving their drinks unattended,' Oky's business development manager Thomas Ng told The Straits Times yesterday.

The kit, manufactured by Drink Safe Technologies in America, was named one of the best inventions of last year by Time magazine.

Oky plans to promote it this Saturday, when its staff will don T-shirts emblazoned with the slogan 'Think Before You Drink', and give out flyers at Raffles Place in the afternoon and Mohamed Sultan Road at night.

Next month, it will go to the educational institutions to put up notices and distribute flyers to keep students informed and promote the test.

The kits are widely used in the United States and Australia, said Mr Ng and Drink Safe Technologies laboratories have found them 95 per cent to 98 per cent accurate.

Although there have been no reported cases of date rape here, owners of nightspots, clubbers and the Central Narcotics Bureau welcomed the kit.

A CNB spokesman said yesterday: 'Any product that assists a person to detect the presence of a controlled substance would enhance his or her protection.'

Managing director of Devils Bar Dennis Foo said he would 'stock it for my security staff to use it to test the drinks of suspected drug abusers'.

However, public relations executive Eileen Lee, 24, said 'it would be awkward to do the test in front of people'.

'I think it's really up to you to make sure your drink is not spiked by not leaving it unattended when you're with people you're not familiar with.'

In January, Oky plans to sell Drink Safe Coasters to pub and club owners.

The coasters will act in the same way as the kits, and once the spots on the coaster turn dark blue, it is time to throw away that drink.

'We are very excited about other products that are in the pipeline, like a cocktail swizzle stick which can detect if your drink has been spiked,' said Mr Ng.

full article can be found here.... http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,225691,00.html

AAAAGH!!

GHB is not tastless.
I had to write a curt email to CLEO for makin that mistake in their Dec issue.

GHB is pretty tasteless... :-/ it has a salty flavour that is easily masked in a strong flavoured alcoholic drink. You might be thinking of 1,4B which tastes like ass - deep, swamp ass.

BT ;)

hehehee

yes....i forget that its not 1,4B they use.
and please dont remind me of the taste....ick...dilutes bad enough as it is....let alone concentrate. BLECH

hahahah GHB and Ketamine tasteless, that's PRICELESS!!!

And when was the last time you heard of GHB being referred to as 'the date rape drug'.

I might start using that from now on. "Yo, pass the date rape drug", "careful with the dosage man, you might date-rape-drug out", "Dude, you better diluted that date rape drug". Man...the possibilities are endless!

Daimo said:
A CNB spokesman said yesterday: 'Any product that assists a person to detect the presence of a controlled substance would enhance his or her protection.'

[...]

'I think it's really up to you to make sure your drink is not spiked by not leaving it unattended when you're with people you're not familiar with.'

I, for one endorse it. I think it is a step in the right direction for harm minimisation.

I still believe that prevention is better then cure. Keep an eye on you drink, finish it before going on the dance floor to shake your arse. If you believe someone has spiked it, throw it out and buy another one.

I think it's club owners responsbility to hand them out for free in clubs/bars/pubs/raves or they could simply make a "ventor machine" like for few cents or dollars in the toliets, if you feel bit weird testing your drinks in front of people, you can do it privately in the toliets.

^^ I guess they are mentioning what they can test for... And nothing else.. No use stating "There are other date rape drugs but we can't test for this.." *cough* wouldn't be good PR

Daimo said:
Each pair of spots can identify two popular illicit party drugs - ketamine and gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), also known as the date rape drug.

Date rapists ruined ketamine for the rest of us. Why cant they just get a hooker like a normal person?

a tester is no good if it only tests for sum commonly used drugs and not others such as rohypnol. it really only gives piece of mind and a false sense of security

I thought I read somewhere that the companies who make rohypnol's have now added bitters and dyes to prevert attacks?

Urbanhog said:
I thought I read somewhere that the companies who make rohypnol's have now added bitters and dyes to prevert attacks?
They did, but it makes no difference as there are other benzos with similar profiles to flunitrazepam that I'm sure any sick fuck who was prepared to do such a thing would certainly know about.

Still, it all seems a little pointless, the vast majority of drug assisted date rapes result from heavy alchohol consumption alone. The alchohol lobby has an interest in keeping this information hidden behind a veil of over-exageration and lies, and are probably somehow connected to these test kits which will make girls feel safer, yet may not actually stop any rapes at all.
Importantly, they won't stop people from drinking lots of alchohol, which is of course the first priority of alchohol sellers.
The best move to stem the problem is to drink responsibily, ie. don't get absolutely shitfaced in public venues. And remember, a couple of extra vodka shots snuck in each of your illusion shakers is much easier and just as effective as anythingthing else. Watch out for this sort of thing too.

It would have saved me a bit of stress if I had read this earlier...didn't know that there were kits available for testing ketamine right here, and legal to boot. I wouldn't have had to carry the Marquis and Mandelin back then. ;)