• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Heroin crisis worsens in kings cross

Off topic:
Two Telstra phones opposite the centre, in front of Kings Cross railway station, were being used so frequently by addicts arranging deals that police were forced to remove them. They were taking an estimated $25,000 in coins per month.
Deals or not, that's a one helluva lota phone calls!

And back on topic...
The pictures published today illustrate but a few of the estimated 800 heroin deals police estimate are carried out in the area daily despite promises when the injecting room was opened that it would not be allowed to become a "honey pot" for drug traders.

A police chief has admitted that there are now so many drug dealers around Australia's first supervised injecting room that his officers are powerless to stop them.

Oporto chicken store manager Louis Marcos said one of his staff was threatened by two men wielding a syringe after they staggered from the clinic and into his premises two weekends ago.

On all possible levels this article spells bad news for the injecting room. While it could just be the beginning of the end of the heroin drought, the injecting room looks like it is going to cop the blame for any rise in heroin traffic in the area, and any rise in associated crimes :\

What was Kings Cross like before the injecting room? Was there a roaring drug trade before? Sounds like a lot of money is being made there though! Can't the police conduct searches if they know people are dealers?

I saw the 2 page spread in Sun-Herald. The injecting room sure got some majorly bad publicity. I wasn't too sure about the "up to 6 drug deals..." that the journo's witnessed though.

I'd always known Kings Cross to be heroin central...the dealers have probably just been meeting people close to the injecting room for convenience. The corner of Bayswater and Darlinghurst road is pretty suss though. I almost got rolled by an addict coming home from "Candy's Apartment" early one morning.

I love The Cross though. Its exciting, got character and its buzzing at 5am on a Tuesday morning.

Sky News did a blurb on it last night. Interesting to note on that report, no cops said that heroin dealing had got any worse since the injecting room opened.

As for how long it's gone on for? From my understanding, pete_gasparino summed it up pretty well. I arrived in Sydney in 1981. Went to the cross the next day. Got offered H the first time I walked down D road. Other times I've returned have been mostly the same. I've never been offended in the least, but I can see how some people would be.

I guess this issue will always present problems for both sides. The three most obvious points IMO;

• Users are forced to obtain their product illegally, dealers will rush to fill any market void. Nothing new here.
  • Put "all" users in one place (centre) and it makes sense that deals will be made in that vicinity. Nothing new here.
  • Put "all" users in one area, and although death due to overdose is reduced, any OD's which do occur are likely to be within the close vicinity of the clinic. Nothing surprising here

But what would occur if the room was closed? IMO the only thing which would change noticeably is the third point i.e. more deaths would occur simply because paramedics may not find a casualty in time. Wasn't this the fundamental reason for the clinic in the first place?

Good news!

Not long after printing the article this thread was started for... The SMH have produced this;

Police chief defends heroin injecting room - [url]www.smh.com.au[/url].

which contains material such as
"In the two years since Superintendent Darcy and his team have been working at Kings Cross with the [injecting room], reported crime is down by 50 per cent," he said.

"Every death we can save through the [injecting room], every addict that we can get off the street so it doesn't affect the amenity of residents and people who use those areas, we applaud.

"And we certainly support the injecting centre."

Mildly confusing, considering Darcys prior comments... I wonder what he really thinks of the room. I sincerely hope that the comments included in the more recent article are genuine... :\

I thought the journo might have been sensationalising the whole thing. I thought that there may have already been a roaring drug trade but as I have not been there could not comment on it. The journo would have just selected somments from the copper which fit her story. Man I hate the media!

Pfft! What a joke.. The gronks can send 50 officers and 5 dogs into **** nightclub + Bourban & Beefsteak but they can't have 1 dog and 3 officers wandering around Kings X sniffing out the dealers..?
G R O N K S!

[Edit: Venue details removed to comply with posting guidelines; p_d]

Last edited by a moderator:
**** got raided by dogs? I don't think I saw a thread about that, was there one?

[Edit: Venue details removed to comply with posting guidelines; p_d]

I've seen dogs outside *'s heaps of times...
Don't think I ever seen 'em inside.

Just the latest propaganda effort in the CityofSydney council's campaign to 'clean up' the Cross - the place will finish up looking like taylor square...