Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Post Earthcore Feedback Email

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
No doubt a lot of bluelighters are on the Earthcore email list. This afternoon Spiro sent out an email about some occurences at this years Earthcore:
Dear punters

To put your frivolities into perspective and hopefully a wake up call to those who think
it's all fun and games here are a few examples of pathetic behaviour that could have ended in tragedy.

- 14 ambulances were called to our event
- 8 of those were GHB/GBH overdoses
- 1 person has just been released from intensive care after overdosing on GBH
- one person dived into the log infested river and suffered severe injuries.
- one person after being discharged from hospital was returned to the event by a member of their family

GBH IS A KILLER WARNING SIGNS ARE THERE FOR A REASON SAFETY HINTS ON THE INFO SHEET,
WEBSITE AND ADVERTISING ARE THERE FOR A BLOODY GOOD REASON

I am personally over the bullshit and pathetic behaviour of some who would destroy it all for everyone else.

>From now on people engaging in or encouraging stupid risk taking behaviour will be ejected from our events,
people will also not be re-admitted to our events after being discharged from hospital or being previously
removed for medical reasons.

Other more draconian measures will be developed to force the idiots to wake up to themselves.

Suggestions welcomed. Get your shit together or stay home where you belong.

The summer party season is upon us so please take care. The TAC have a few messages for you as well.

- The biggest killer of all for people aged 16 - 25 years in Victoria is road accidents.
Don't drive home until you are ready.

- We face the highest risk when travelling in a car driven when the driver is under the age of 25,
especially when there's more than one passenger (guys, take note)

- Also be aware the police have announced they will be carrying out drug tests on drivers over the holiday period,
so don't risk losing your licence/independence Don't think this information doesn't apply to you.

We all know someone to whom the above information applies and are responsible for them as well.
I'm interested in what you guys think of this. Personally I think it's fantastic that an event organiser is going on the front foot and sending a message to the punters in a language that they understand. Rather than the usual "this is a drug free event" line which most people think is a tongue in cheek anyway, Spiro has gone into detail about what happened, and made it clear that people simply getting fucked up is not what it's supposed to be all about.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I completely agree with Spiro. The amount of people using 1,4b/GHB over the last three years has skyrocketed and the stupidity and irresponsibility both by regular users of the drug and by uneducated users still ends in regular overdoses. Is it any suprise that the majority of hospitalisations are due to the intake of a drug with such a steep dose response curve?

I also believe that this has something to do with the amount of undiluted 1,4b/GHB on the streets where the dose is as little as 1.5ml. If you sell 1,4b/GHB please do your clients a favour and protect them from themselves by only selling the product diluted at 10ml per dose. It is more difficult to overdose when dosage levels are increased to this, and may help prevent accidental overdoses, and death.

I think its an upfront and honest letter that I totaly agree with - too many people need to wake up to the many dangers and take more responsiblity in their's, and the people's around them, well being.

Well done.

It's the first time I remember seeing details of hospitalisations from any event, let alone by the promoter.

Well done, may it both act as a future deterrent to those mentioned, as well as encourage other promoters to make available similar details. In this day & age of stringent regs., there should be nothing to hide anyway.

Victoria does seem to be moving ahead in many areas of sensible HR policy, even if recent changes in other areas seem rather personally invasive.

While I'd like to think it was Spiro being all concerned about the welfare of his punters, i think the mass email has more to do with the TAC sponsoring earthcore :\

Cynicism aside, it is an effective approach and its great to see the TAC and other bodies utilising approachs that speak directly to their target market and not just relying on their (now numb) graphic tv commercials.

Particularly effective were the "Your mates life is in your hands" ads that were on the backs of the toilets at earthcore. For those who weren't there, the ad consisted of a set of car keys with a cross like keyring that had the above slogan written across it - where the "RIP" would normally be.

I know it made me stop and think a number of times over the weekend.

I can't believe that anyone, let alone a family member, would take a person back to a event after they had been in hospital due to an OD. Its horrific, irresponsible and just plain fucked up!!!:X

I am very interested to hear these stats, haivng seen a few folks carted out via ambulance and wondering if they were OK. It occurred to me they probably have a limited ambulance service up that way too, so all these cases might have been a huge drain on the emergency services resources. I agree that people need to be encouraged to take responsibility for their actions.

However, I also hold the belief that parties like this are inherently more dangerous than many other similar events. The biggest concern I have is that the longer the event, the more drugs people will take in order to keep going. With most drugs, the risks are increased the longer the period you are using them for. Also, many people at EC would have been incredibly sleep deprived by Sunday, due to the length of the event, plus the difficulty sleeping in that environment (noise, heat etc). Factors like extreme weather are obviously a concern too. The fact these events are so far from main city is obviously both a pro (in terms of a suitable outdoor location) and a con (in terms of distance required for people to get home, meaning taxis and public transport are not an option, plus the potential for accidents on a long, sleep deprived drive home).

I don't blame organisers / promoters for all of these factors (except maybe event length). I know there were many steps taken by EC to minimise problems caused by these factors, such as the strong HR presence with enlighten, Ravesafe, first aid etc; the fact it was on a river gave people a place to get cool; the availability or free water etc. But at the end of the day, I think individuals should think about all of these risks before they set out and consider how to reduce them.

I personally won't ever go to another event longer than a day as it is just too taxing.

I think it's great they've come out with this.

The one problem I have with people being ejected from the party for going to hospital is that it might discourage people and their friends from seeking medical help if an emergency occurs. It's quite often a hard descision to make (for the person's friends) whether or not to get help, so being refused re-entry might weigh on peoples (often drug effected) minds when they decide to get help.

Having said that, I think it's great this issue is being confronted and dealt with publicly and openly. I'm glad Spiro has done this. It's an issue that everyone in the dance community needs to come to terms with.

well, they could start by keeping the references to "gbh" out of their email. they got it right a the start ("ghb"), so why resort to bs media-speak like that to get their point across?

that aside, i also think this is a really positive move - obviously the organisers are as aware as anyone else that drug use is going to be rampant at an event like this, so anything that is going to increase harm minimisation and decrease stupidity is a good thing, imo.

getting on the front foot and disallowing "stupid behaviour" is a good idea, and it doesn't seem like they're being unfair about it, merely trying to uphold a sense (and reality of course) of safety at their events, and this i commend.

i agree with all of what has been said...

and again i cant believe how much ghb overdoses have skyrockted in the last year.....a year ago i never saw even one person od on g, and now at EVERY event i go to i have seen no less than 3 people OD on this drug. i saw 2 ambulances heading to EC when we were driving out, and i *knew* it would be for someone on g.....people need to be more responsible with this drug (stating the obvious) but jesus christ, thank god the promoters arent just ignoring it anymore and actually putting these facts out there, maybe this will reach a few more people!

A very confronting piece of writing for a promotor to publish, but, it would seem, a necessary one... :\

I haven't been posting regularly of late for a reason - I hate to think how late it is, but I've almost finished the GHB/1,4-B/GBL FAQ in all its glory... :)

^^^ cool, the current ghb faq has served me quite well so far, i can't wait to see the new and improved one :D

I spoke to at least three indivuals over that weekend who where keen to try it but had no idea about it. Although to there credit each of these people both listened intently to myself as well as got themselves a flyer from ravesafe/enlighten.

Lets also not forget that all drugs have a margin of danger with them so be smart.

I don't think the length of the event should matter. If I'm at a 3 day or more festival I'll look after myself a hell of alot better than if I went to a rave.

We make sure we sleep dayly, we eat good food (even when we don't want too. ) we keep out of the sun as much as possible and slip slop slap up and we make sure the driver has had a good sleep before the journey home.

When I'm only going out for a night I usually want to go hard.

Also, many people at EC would have been incredibly sleep deprived by Sunday, due to the length of the event, plus the difficulty sleeping in that environment (noise, heat etc).

Upon arrival Last Jan at the a psychedelic festival held on the NSW/ QLD boarder, some people were initially quite perturbed to learn that music would be turned off completely for 2 nights of the 7 day event, and for the night preceding. I believe this decision had a dramatic affect on the well-being of the punter, but boy did some go off after a nights rest!!

It also gave valuable rest time to the RaveSafe and St Johns teams (although there's always something requiring someone to be on deck at any time). All in all I think it was a brave but sensible move by the promoter. His words to me were something like; I don't want anyones death on my hands, and going seven days and nights could do it for some of these die-hards.

As for noise: I think it should be compulsory for promoters to supply earplugs free upon entry. Those little "hairs" never stand back up again on their own. So unless you like the thought of tinnitus 24 hours a day, wear earplugs. End of story.

Yeah, good work Spiro.

I heard, from a reliable source, that there was a OD from a 2c- family of drugs. If anyone can provide any more information, please share.

The punter was very incoherent and confused, and told those concerned that he swallowed a '2c' pill.
FFS people, find out what you're eating first!

You don't just have muppets at Earthcore- there were 4 GHB overdoses at Enchanted; 2 ended up in the ICU of an Adelaide hospital, and thay landed a chopper for another. In a time when we are trying to build bridges, alliances and trust between the medical and party community, all the great safety info coming from Bluelight is overshadowed by a few airheads who obviously can't read. Spiro's message is one that I will pass on to a skeptical medical community, to try to show that it's only a few who are screwing up the reputation of the many. Go G-free!

Even though I believe that G can be a be a wonderful additive to ones night. It looks like there are a lot of people that just don't know how to respect it... :(

I wonder what benefit a controlled distribution of this chemical bring.

Be aware, be careful and party safe peeps! :)

Leprechaun said:
Even though I believe that G can be a be a wonderful additive to ones night. It looks like there are a lot of people that just don't know how to respect it... :(

I wonder what benefit a controlled distribution of this chemical bring.

Be aware, be careful and party safe peeps! :)

I also believe GHB can be an excellent part of one's morning.

Controlling it will not be benefitial in my opinion. Better informed users would.

In regards to the question about the punter who received assistance after taking a 2c-family of drugs -- yes we (RaveSafe) did attend to someone who was very anxious and confused after taking (supposedly) 2ci.

We were informed later by a friend it was 2ci, although at the time the very freaked out punter who came for our help did not know what he had taken.

After experiencing a very uncomfortable trip for several hours, with the help of RaveSafe to guide him through, I believe it was a lesson learnt in knowing what the hell it is your injesting!