Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

MDA = "smacky"?

bill joe

Bluelighter
Hey

i know what it looks like for some one to be smacked by a pill , ive been smacked a little by pills but only for 10 / 15 mins or so and i know that it does not mean it has herroin in it , just a termed used.

But is it mda that causes this so called " smacky" effect , cause it says thats its more stoney and more on the brain sort of effects, also could be why having too many mdma pills causes you to be smacked as the body has more mdma supplied to it for it to be converted into mda.

any knowledge on this matter would be greatly appriciated.

Keep droppin '

=D

Set and setting. Same pill might be "chargy" or "smacky" on separate nights - depends on where you are, and what physical and mental state you're in. :)

MDA is smiliar to MDMA, though the effects from my understanding and experience tend to be more 'trippy' and hallucinogenic. I have also found that these type of pills did put me on my ass, but i used to do them ages ago when i first started out

Having had both MDMA and MDA I can say they give very different effects. MDMA can be a very overwhelming experience, especially at higher doses (100mg+) which can be disconcerting for some people and cause them to sit down in order to cope with the experience. I think most of the 'smacky' experiences are caused by high doses of MDMA by those who are unfamiliar with its effects.

If you have a look at the threads from 2000 most people were attributing the 'smacky' effects to MDEA, which I feel was used as a scapegoat at the time. Although it’s possible MDA is the culprit, I think as there is statistically more MDMA around, this will be what most people experience. As mentioned set and setting play a huge part, and should never be underestimated.

Another problem is the interpretation of the term 'smacky'. It may differ from person to person and is a misnomer in the fact that the ecstasy 'smacky' is quite a different feeling to a heroin 'smacky'.

There are also indications that a small part of the MDMA is converted into MDA in the body. This conversion is not significant in the case of regular doses, but this might cause hallucinations if taken in large doses.

ref: VEREBEY,K.,ALRAZI,J. & JAFFE,H.: The complications of "Ecstasy". JAMA, 1988; 259:1649-1650

The information above gives me the impression that there is only a small amount of MDMA converted to MDA by the body, and that this would have a very minimal effect on the experience.

Last edited:
The information above gives me the impression that there is only a small amount of MDMA converted to MDA by the body, and that this would have a very minimal effect on the experience.

Exactly. N-demethylation is one of several initial pathways believed to be involved in the metabolism of MDMA. Others include O-dealkylation, deamination and conjugation. See below.

While N-demethylation occurs to different degrees with different people (MDMA-->MDA and other metabolites -> demethylated metabolites) in the rat, N-demethylation is dependant on levels of CYP2D6 as well as other cytochromes. This implies some people may produce different levels of MDA when metabolising MDMA. The (rat) brain has been shown to possess other mechanisms for catabolism than via CYP2D6, indicating little would be processed this way. CYP2D6 is also involved in other pathways, so although the liver is also rich in isozymes (2D6 etc.) the preferred pathway in this environment would also not be thought to proceed via demthylation to MDA. Some would be expected to, but many variables exist.

MDMA_metabolism.gif

Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, “Ecstasy”)

A. RICHARD GREEN, ANNIS O. MECHAN,1 J. MARTIN ELLIOTT, ESTHER O’SHEA, AND M. ISABEL COLADO
Neuropharmacology Research Centre, School of Pharmacy, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom (A.R.G., A.O.M., J.M.E.);
AstraZeneca R&D Charnwood, Loughborough, United Kingdom (A.R.G.); and Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina,
Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain (E.O., M.I.C.)

Hosted by Rhodium

Colour in chart added for emphasis; p_d

Last edited: