• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How strong is Prozac as a MAO-B inhibitor?

Dr. Beat

Bluelighter
A month ago there was lots of info on Selegiline, or l-deprenyl which I am finding hard to get, but I have easy access to Prozac.

Read this : www.biopsychiatry.com/fluoxmaob.htm

My question is - if I take 120mg of MDMA, and a few hours later (about 3-4 hours) take 40mg of Prozac, how much will the Prozac reduce the MAO-B in my brain? A little bit? a medium amount? alot?

*BUMP*

I just thought I'd bump this thread, as a day and a bit of searching revealed nothing more than the page Dr Beat cited.

Has anyone seen/got anything else on Fluoxetine acting as a MAO-B inhibitor?

or l-deprenyl which I am finding hard to get

...Also meant to ask also Dr. Beat; what sort of difficulties have you had obtaining Selegiline. I assume you mean difficult to obtain a prescription for?

If so, were you refused/ denied on the grounds for which you requested it for, or was it due to scheduling restrictions, as I weren't aware there were any?

I do not find it hard to ask doctors for prozac or zoloft or valium or stuff like that, (after putting on a soooky depressed mask for 10 mintutes), but I guess I dont know how to go about asking a doctor for l-deprenyl, as a lot of them get uptight when I ask them for pacific drugs. (eg Panadol Forte, ect). I have read in Drug X Guide that it usually is proscribed for patients with Parkinsons - I guess I can go in the surgury and start shaking and mumbling and stuff, but at my age I think they might not beleive it.

Also, what is the easiest way to get l-dopa ?

but I guess I dont know how to go about asking a doctor for l-deprenyl, as a lot of them get uptight when I ask them for pacific drugs

Simple:

You're feeling some notable memory changes and general decline associated with age (unless of course you're 16 or so) and that you are taking a pro-active approach. Demonstrate you knowledge of deprenyl, and that you've researched it thoroughly. Explain that you know how and why it works...etc, and there should be little doubt as to your motives.

Before you ask him for a script, try introducing the topic by asking him if he prescribes it for Parkinsons or other problems, and if he's heard of it being used as cognitive enhancer and noo-tropic. Ask him if the drug is successful in his eyes for what it is prescribed for. You might like to explain that you want something to minimally affect N/E dopamine release, but instead, think selectively targeting MAO-B with an inhibitor maybe a more beneficial approach. If your doctor decided personally to then say no, and there was no sound reason given (contraindications, other assessment etc) then go to another doctor.

The main thing to do IMO, is to always be straight up with your doc. Being on Prozac or SSRIs etc, may mean a considerable "gap" period is deemed necessary before you can start a course of deprenyl. You know where you stand here. But I've found that in actually turning down many recommendations for most drugs (even antibiotics as a rule) a doctor may appreciate that any such request is not made without considerable thought and research on your part. Respect, I think is the word :)

...and why on earth would you want L-dopa?

Unless you have a sympathetic psychonaut Dr, I'd be surprised if a GP in Australia would give you deprenyl. phase_dancers approach would be the best bet - complete honesty. Deprenyl is rarely used for Parkinson's, and psychiatrists don't see it as useful for depression.

You have buckleys of getting l-dopa via a GP too - if you try to mimic Parkinson's disease you'll just find yourself with a neurologists referral.