Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Injecting room is damaging us: PM

apollo

Bluelighter
The Prime Minister, John Howard, has privately warned the Premier, Bob Carr, that Australia's $100 million a year legal opiate industry could face sanctions if the NSW Government persists with its legal injecting room trials.

The warning, in a letter to Mr Carr this month, surprised senior NSW officials, given it arrived two months after Parliament approved legislation to extend the injecting room trial, with bipartisan support from the Opposition Leader, John Brogden.

Mr Howard's letter to Mr Carr, a copy of which has been obtained by the Herald, says the United Nations International Narcotics Control Board (UNINCB) has written to the Australian Government to object to the injecting room.

"In its recent correspondence, the International Narcotics Control Board has urged the Australian Government to take necessary measures to ensure any decisions taken fully comply with our international drug control treaty obligations," Mr Howard writes.

"Failure to do so could attract remedial action or the imposition of sanctions on Australia's licit opiates industry - an action that would jeopardise Australian industry by damaging the international reputation of pharmaceutical companies throughout Australia and their ability to supply products essential to pain management and hospital and palliative care."

Mr Howard writes Australia is now the world's largest producer of legal opium alkaloids and thousands of people are employed in their production, processing and export in Tasmania, Victoria and NSW. "This is an issue we cannot afford to ignore," Mr Howard wrote.

In his reply, Mr Carr stressed that the NSW Government spends around $2.5 million a year on the trial - a fraction of the $130 million spent on its drugs strategy.

The letter noted the Commonwealth had been consulted on the proposal to extend the injecting room trial. Legal advice had assured the NSW Government the trial did not breach conventions. "I note your reference to possible sanctions, but I am advised that there has been no reference to sanctions in any INCB correspondence received by the NSW Government since the commencement of the trial," Mr Carr wrote.

The director of St Vincent's Drug and Alcohol Service, Dr Alex Wodak, said: "This is a hollow threat and says more about political positioning before a federal election than it does about policy."

Source - smh.com.au - The Sydney Morning Herald.

Howard suddenly cares about what the UN has to say when it comes to a heroin injecting room saving lives... But he supported the invasion of Iraq, against everything the UN stands for. What a filthy hypocrite! I find Bob Carr and his policies objectionable, but his defense of the injecting room definitely earns him a pat on the back from me...

Anyway, I just hope Dr Wodak is correct when he says "This is a hollow threat and says more about political positioning before a federal election than it does about policy".

Do you think this actually poses a threat to the injecting room trial? Or our production of/access to opiate pain killers?

Fucking INCB. They really shit me.

I'm pretty sure I saw mention on their website of the injecting rooms last year sometime.

Yep, their 2001 Annual Report (PDF) states:

559. The Board regrets that local authorities in the Australian state of New South Wales have permitted the establishment of a drug injection room, setting aside the concerns expressed by the Board69 that the operation of such facilities, where addicts inject themselves with illicit substances, condones illicit drug use and drug trafficking and runs counter to the provisions of the international drug control treaties. The Board notes that the national policy in Australia does not support the establishment of drug injection rooms. The Board urges the Government to ensure that all of its states comply fully with the provisions of the international drug control treaties, to which Australia is a party.

Not sure what effect it will have as they have known about it for a while. Presumably Howard was informed at the time.

[ Edit: anyway, there's always going to be a conflict here. Their aim is to reduce or "control" illegal drugs at any cost. This is often counter to any harm reduction or minimisation. Really, Australia (and other countries) should not be so tightly controlled (or held to ransom) by any single interest group. Instead, they should attempt to guide where we ask for guidance in certain areas. ]

So the United States Moralist Taskforce, whoops, I mean the United Nations International Narcotics Control Board has condemned us?
Howard ignores the UN on asylum seeker issues and war issues, but I guess that since the UNINCB pushes the US stance, Howard will listen.
(nothing has changed since the US left the board, I very much suspect they rule by proxy now, given that it's policy was pretty much created by the US and remains the same)
Our opiate industry has long been used to blackmail us into maintaining regressive drug policy, the US State dept. were doing it in '97
http://www.stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/004/blackmail.shtml

I'd like to see a standoff, since drug law is state based, it would be interesting to see what measures the federal government could take against NSW, and the backlash that would follow.
Giving up sovereignty on purely social issues was a stupid idea from the start.

Last edited:
It's simply harm reduction. Do you think non users or recreational users are going to use these rooms as a safe haven??

Come on Jonny time to grow something between those legs of yours. ;)

And I guess that the next lot of crap to come from Howards mouth will be that this will make it safer for the users who are actually taking advantage of the rooms?

Greetings all, long time lurker first time poster

just thought I'd make sure no-one brought up our obviously misguided treatment of youths that directly contradicts the UN's policies,

ie.
Mandatory Sentencing (still goes on in Wa if i remember correctly)
+
Youth wages policy

but having made sure no one could confuse those with issues I must say agree with Steve, wise words,

(the tinge of sarcasm re youth treatment is only for the cynic created in me by watching our jesters work their charms on the political stage, none towards bluelighters whom i cannot help but love)